57 Bel Air Two Door Sedan Build

BlueAKSSS

Another update, I purchased the transmission for the car! I found a really nice T56 Six speed manual transmission out of a 2001 Camaro with only 40,000 miles. Should be an awesome transmission! Can't wait. freak3.gif

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good bro!!!! Its good that you're handy with a welder, saving yourself some money right there. I'm keeping my eye on your build. I love 57 Bel Air's.

Thanks! Yeah I'm really lucky I have a area to work on the car and perform all the work on it myself. There's no way I would have taken it on if I didn't. Stay tuned for updates, as more will be posted regularly.

Edited by Matt* (see edit history)

Well I did quite a bit of work on the 57 this weekend. Now the body is getting really stripped, I removed all of remaining stainless and chrome trim, removed the back window, and all of the side windows, all the window regulators and finished gutting the doors. Then I installed the passenger side floor pan and rebuilt its floor brace and sandblasted and POR15'ed it. Installed and spot welded the support to the new floor pan. Next I removed the old inner rocker (or what was left of it) lol. Then I installed the new forward floor support for the seat brace and installed and spot welded in the inner rocker panel to the braces. Finally I fitted in the rocker panel and welded that in as well!! :)

DSC_0259Medium.jpg

RUST!!!! This was looking inside the quarter panel..... Full of rust and dirt.

DSC_0260Medium.jpg

Floor section installed, remnants of old inner rocker after I had my way with some of it already.

DSC_0262Medium.jpg

The old rocker

DSC_0263Medium.jpg

Me!

DSC_0267Medium.jpg

Rust hole someone hacked at some point.

DSC_0282Medium.jpg

New rocker!

DSC_0283Medium.jpg

Still needs a couple places finished up and more welding and grinding.

Then I decided to remove the passenger side quarter panel that was badly damaged so I can get started on fitting and installing my brand new quarter panel for a hard top. Here's what I got done on with that project today.

DSC_0271Medium.jpg

DSC_0279Medium.jpg

DSC_0284Medium.jpg

DSC_0286Medium.jpg

DSC_0313Medium.jpg

DSC_0314Medium-1.jpg

DSC_0315Medium.jpg

Next I need to clean up and POR 15 the inside of the quarter panel area since this will never get a chance to ever really be painted perfectly up inside. Should be able to get that cleaned and painted this week. Also need to order a new inner tail fin piece as mine is as badly hacked and damaged as the quarter panel was.

From here on out the updates will be real time. These last post range from 8-17-2011 to Tonight when I left the garage (last post).

I have now an LS2 intake manifold and LS2 TB to drop onto the LQ9 as well as new motor conversion mounts! Still need to get my GM Muscle car oil pan kit, camaro or vette water pump and water pump spacers and idler relocate kit for the LS2 manifold. Also need to order headers, and many many other parts as my $$$ allows.

Awesome build Matt! Impressive that you are doing this all yourself...did you happen to order that motor off eBay from a Canada seller? I was looking at an LQ9 on eBay out of a Caddy and it literally sold as I was looking at it! Look forward to seeing your end result, keep up the good work.

Awesome build Matt! Impressive that you are doing this all yourself...did you happen to order that motor off eBay from a Canada seller? I was looking at an LQ9 on eBay out of a Caddy and it literally sold as I was looking at it! Look forward to seeing your end result, keep up the good work.

Thanks means a lot! Its quite the project to be taking on myself but I am sure it will payoff in the end! Haha thats pretty funny about the engine, I got it from a local wrecking yard called Northwest Auto Parts. They've got all kinds of engines from wrecked trucks and I was glad they had a nice LQ9 for my project because trying to get or find a LS2 in Alaska is like finding gold! $$$!!!!

Edited by Matt* (see edit history)

Guest JasonHensley22

Nice! I was wondering if you were gonna make a full build thread for this, and you did! I've enjoyed following your steps and seeing it for real! I'm looking forward to seeing it this week to look at everything you did over the weekend!

Nice! I was wondering if you were gonna make a full build thread for this, and you did! I've enjoyed following your steps and seeing it for real! I'm looking forward to seeing it this week to look at everything you did over the weekend!

Yeah, you'll get to see it for sure, hopefully I'll get even more done on it this week if time allows!

Awesome build so far! Tri-fives are my faves. I like everything you are doing. Cant wait to see it done!!!!

Thanks! Yeah I like all the Tri-Fives too, used to have a 1955 210 Wagon as well but this 57 Sedan is so much cooler!