Looking For A Truck

SilverBulletSS

Wasn't really looking for a lifted truck. Just want a 2500HD, that came up in the search and idk I just really like it. Are you not supposed to use a lifted truck for plowing? I see a lot of guys here that use lifted trucks for plowing, my cousin has a lifted Bronco. Not a huge lift I think maybe 3".. That's why I'm looking for input..

damn nice truck good price but imo will not make a good plow truck strike one lift strike two 8.1 gas motor and strike three crew cab

iamwithstupid.gif on everything he said. All the ones up here in Alaska tend to be older single cabs that aren't lifted. And trust me we know snow lol!

I admire your taste, but a lifted truck is kinda out of the question when it comes to plowing. You want something heavy that will sit just high enough to clear the mounds of snow without getting stuck. Crew cab is a good choice, because it's heavier, but most plowers don't like the turning radius of anything but a short pickup.

O.P. take it from an 8.1l owner, do not be afraid of the motor. Just be afraid of the gas mileage. At 9 you will desire more, but for a work motor it is excellent. Pleanty of low end grunt, what you want for a plow truck. Also been gas will have better road manners in the cold. if it gets real cold where you live, Diesels take for ever and a day to warm up. Most diesel guys don't even shut their truck down because they don't warm up fast enough.

Now for a plow truck business you should go to dieselplace.com. there are a few members there that plow and you will get better feed back from do'er than from side line plowers.

Thats a sweet truck, and the 8.1 is awesome as far as power and performance goes (not MPGs). But i think for what you need it for you are better off going for a 2500 regualr cab long bed. I think a CCSB lifted would be a pain in the ass for a plow truck. I think you are going to want to get the shortest wheel base possible

Thanks for all the input guys. It being crew cab is a must. The truck will be used double duty, plowing in the winter and my dd/work truck for next year. I'd like to not use the SSS. I've used it for 2 seasons now and hate the mileage I've put on and the fact that I have file crates in the back. Having full doors instead of reversed hinged would be more convenient.

Seriously ... a Crew Cab plow truck is fine, if you do large, wide open parking lots. But if your going to make your money off of Residential driveways, you'll love to have a RCSB. The crew cab is just to damn big/long for small tight driveways.

We rock a 05 Sierra RCSB with plowing , and it's great for us, but we are not plowing commercially.

Yeah, I would go for a 3/4 ton or greater for commercial plowing. If you are wanting to spend oly $10K on a truck, you may need an older model truck, as you will want to price out a commercial grade plow. You'll spend at least half that budget, even for a decent used model. You'll want something larger then the normal 7'6" blade for smaller trucks.

Seriously ... a Crew Cab plow truck is fine, if you do large, wide open parking lots. But if your going to make your money off of Residential driveways, you'll love to have a RCSB. The crew cab is just to damn big/long for small tight driveways.

We rock a 05 Sierra RCSB with plowing , and it's great for us, but we are not plowing commercially.

Yeah, I would go for a 3/4 ton or greater for commercial plowing. If you are wanting to spend only $10K on a truck, you may need an older model truck, as you will want to price out a commercial grade plow. You'll spend at least half that budget, even for a decent used model. You'll want something larger then the normal 7'6" blade for smaller trucks.

70% of my work will be commercial lots, condo's, gas stations, private lots, etc. I've already looked into a plow by Snow Dogg and a salter. The $10K is just for the truck and I've allotted another $6,500 for the plow, salter and lighting.

I don't have a problem spending a little more on the truck if i have to as I'm going to finance it. I just would like to keep it at or under $10K.

O.P. take it from an 8.1l owner, do not be afraid of the motor. Just be afraid of the gas mileage. At 9 you will desire more, but for a work motor it is excellent. Pleanty of low end grunt, what you want for a plow truck. Also been gas will have better road manners in the cold. if it gets real cold where you live, Diesels take for ever and a day to warm up. Most diesel guys don't even shut their truck down because they don't warm up fast enough.

Now for a plow truck business you should go to dieselplace.com. there are a few members there that plow and you will get better feed back from do'er than from side line plowers.

:withstupid: Well said sir. I plowed for a couple years and we had a Ford F-250 Powerstroke. Thing was unstoppable. T-Boned a few times, and truck was strong as a damn tank. However warming up the Diesel is a pita. Especially when you have to give it a good 30-45 mins here to warm up.

Also had a 2500hd with the 8.1 engine and it worked well. Like also stated it is a great work engine but mpgs are tough. I guess its a balance of paying more for gasoline (diesel is cheaper here than 87 octane) or having to warm up the diesel locomotive. I would just slap a remote start on the diesel, but either way their great trucks from my experience.

Better be ready to go through a tranny or two. Whatever you get make sure you dont have restrictions to the radiator or trans cooler. Thats the biggest thing I see is the plows are right in front and with the snow restriction it dont take much.

i plow all day at work in the winter. we use a 2007 silverado 2500hd reg cab long bed. it has a 6.0l in it and its a beast. i dont belive a diesel or 8.1l is nessacery. a reg 99-02 2500 6.0l should do just fine for you and should be around your price range

i plow all day at work in the winter. we use a 2007 silverado 2500hd reg cab long bed. it has a 6.0l in it and its a beast. i dont belive a diesel or 8.1l is nessacery. a reg 99-02 2500 6.0l should do just fine for you and should be around your price range

The Allison transmission is worth the price to get an 8.1l or diesel. If you like the 6.0/4l80 combo, you will die for anything with an Allison. At least when it comes to work.

sent from my thunderbolt