A Little Update From Mr.Mcshiny

2bfast

Thought I would make a thread and update as to what has been goin on with the farm truck as well as other toys.

Had a failure back in August testing the nitrous system. 2nd gear failed to engage, engine reved to 7200 rpm then decided to shift into second. BAM. Realized I only had low(1st) and reverse. Heres the run before the failure

CLICK ME

th_MOV03186.jpg

Got the unit out and apart and found this

IMAG0067.jpg

Spun the one way sprag. While getting to the sprag the infamous 3/4's have to be removed from the drum they got inspected as well. I installed Raybestos blue clutches with koleen coated steels. They werent shot by any means but started to show signs of minor slipping.

Hard to tell from this picture from the koleen coating but this is the only one I took of them

DSC03192.jpg

So for obvious reasons I installed a new pack and set them at 15-20 thousandths clearance. Got it all back together and stuffed the unit back in the truck off I went. Month later I was coming back from a car show about an hour away. Was cruisin down the highway about 70 cruise set then all the sudden the engine reved up and I lost all gears, no bangs, noises anything. I noticed I didnt have any forward gears or reverse. Had the truck towed back home

IMAG0126.jpg

imagejpeg_0.jpg

Luckely for me, I use these guys for towing at work so they did me a favor on this for no charge.

I hooked up a manual pressure gauge to check pump pressure as it seemed to me to be a pump issue. Sure as shit, the needle didnt even move when I fired it up. So looks like we have a pump issue. After a lot of procrastinating I finally got the unit back out and apart. Split the pump and found this

IMAG0161.jpg

Found the pump rotor in pieces damaging one of the halves of the pump, gaulding up the snout of the converter, and sending small amount of aluminum through the oil. Awesome. So I sent the converter out to be cut open and gone through. Tore apart the input drum to check the 3/4's as always. Again looked like they were in their first stages of slipping with less abuse than the previous ones but now with hot spots on the steels. This is where my research came in

From what I am told, the blue clutches need to be set .05-.08 per friction or they will burn prematurely. These frictions are designed for racing but I was told they will still work even if they look burnt. Interesting. Either way the unit is apart im putting new ones in. During this process I was suggested about the Borg Warner high energy "green" frictions by a reputable builder and the luck he has had with them. He said he uses 8 .062-.065 BW high energy frictions with 7 .078 koleen steels accompanied by an HD apply plate with either the B or C pressure plate to get the proper clutch clearance of .15 - .25". Kicked it around for a week or so and thought I would give it a try.

IMAG0185.jpg

After trial and error with the B and C pressure plates (different thickness), and one .80 high energy friction .20 thousandths pack clearance was achieved. Didnt have to use .80 friction as well as the thicker "C" pressure plate.

IMAG0181.jpg

After going through the rear section of the trans (from front planetary to rear along with the low clutches) time to stuff the front section back in

IMAG0179.jpg

IMAG0186.jpg

Was put at a stopping point when I was putting in the check balls in the valve body I noticed I was missing one. Doh! So I will be looking for one this weekend and get it all back together.

Some of you know, I bought a 69 Z/28 Camaro last summer and have been kicking around ideas as to what direction I want to go with it. Before the car I was going to install heads and convert to an 80E. But big plans have came about for the Z so the truck will get parked as soon as I get the trans back in.

I will be updating the build thread on the Camaro as I go. can you say LS 408 and T56??

:peelout:

sucks all the bad luck with the tranny.

Eh, part of it. It doesnt really bother me as sprag and pump arent really common 60E failures we see all the time. At some point I would like to upgrade to an 80 but these failures arent the reason for that.

As far as the 3/4's, they technially didnt fail. But they had some doubts so theres no question to replace them. As far as the greens, im gonna try em. Not saying this is the solution by any means, but we'll give it whirl and see what they do.

Sorry about the bad luck on the tranny, Brian. At least you can do the work yourself. That is nice having a "hook up" that owns a roll back as well! Can't wait to see the camaro build. I will be anxiously awaiting that build.

:lurk: :lurk: :lurk:

did you build your tranny your self?

Essentially with guidence from Sprayed99's dad Jerry. I have learned a lot over the past year from these guys about the in's and out's of this unit. I know enough to be dangerous but definaly dont consider myself a "builder".

Can't wait to see the camaro build. I will be anxiously awaiting that build.

Me too. Its gonna be fun for sure but its gonna be a process. After I get the truck handled and running the car will be put on jackstands then disassembled to sell parts, clean parts, and start from a clean slate to begin. The big block and 4 speed will be the first to go as well as other components, radiator, headers, brake booster and master cylinder, ect. I will get before pictures of the car before I tear it down for sure.

Heres a video wasting the old BFG's that came on the car when I bought it

CLICK ME

th_MOV03201.jpg