Clank When Put Into Gear And Howling While Driving

This is why I need to get into a club. I'm in NJ Beasst Impala SS club and a lot of those guys also have SSS's.

SO, I think I need some parts and you guys can be the judge.

Stats: 2004 SSS, AWD, 122K odo.

1. When I put the truck into gear, especially going forward and back like in a K-turn, I get a clank like I have a bad universal joint? Does this sound right?

2. Wheel bearing started humming and now at about 65mph the thing is humming like nuts! I'm also feeling some serious vibration. BUT, both front bearings were done about 3 years or 40K miles ago. SO, which bearings should I use? Timken, Raybestos, Moog, or SMK? SMK states they last 100K miles but then only have a 1 year warrantee. Raybestos have a 3yr 36K, and Timken have a 1yr. I don't want to do these again. Why do these sealed bearings suck SO much? This was never an issue on old cars and now it's an issue on every car I own! (except the old faithful 95 Imp SS). I DON'T THINK it's the front diff bearings as that fluid has been changed often and with royal purple synthetic only.

I have a 3rd problem but it's not appropriate to discuss it here as it's electrical. Possessed Seat heater!!! Probably bad switch.

Please help fellas. I've done some searching but didn't find quite what I'm looking for. I thought I'd find a sticky, but I remember alot was lost in the crash.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!,

Matt

04 Arrival Blue SSS

95 DCM Impala SS

01 bonneville gas saver

I've went though a bunch of wheel bearings in my blazer. Some lasted longer than others. I read in Popular Mechanics a while back that a bad chassis ground will ruin wheel bearings. Since the ground is bad, the path of least resistence is through the wheels, passing though the wheel bearing. This arc across the bearing will ruin it.

i know on my SSS it almost always drops into drive or reverse pretty hard and could easily be described as a "clunk"..... been doing that since i took her off the showroom floor lol... as for the whining these trucks are notorious for front end problems, specifically whining or howling as you described it (so i've heard but never experienced)

So you wanna hear what the problem was? LOOL

Thing was humming all week. Wednesday night I'm heading home with my wife and her uncle to get ready for Thanksgiving. The truck is humming like normal and then got louder! It was so loud I pulled off the highway and wondered if maybe I was loosing a wheel or something. NOPE. Pulled a little bit more forward in the parking lot and BANG! Dropped my driveshaft off the transfer case! Ended up being my U-joint failing. Got them both replaced and I'll be picking it up today.

SO, at least it wasn't another wheel bearing! Check them U-joints and if they clank loudly, replace them!

And and just to clarify... I stil have the B-body!

-Matt

i know on my SSS it almost always drops into drive or reverse pretty hard and could easily be described as a "clunk"..... been doing that since i took her off the showroom floor lol... as for the whining these trucks are notorious for front end problems, specifically whining or howling as you described it (so i've heard but never experienced)

Has your concerned been resolved? I can also look into this for you with more information. Please feel free to contact me privately with the last eight of your VIN for further assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, Chevrolet Customer Service.

Well after a week and a half and Autozone ordering me the wrong shaft, I took the damaged shaft to Driveline NJ in Clifton. Excellent shop! Dropped it off in the morning and I thought I'd hear from him with a price by the end of the day. Nope, he called me and said, it's done, come pick it up. And he put heavier duty u-joints and yoke in! It'll last the life of the truck. Finally back in action. Hope it holds together now for a little while.

BECAUSE, while driving the Impala, that now died. Think my opti finally went @ 175K miles. I'm a lucky one for it to last that long. And well, everything else has been replaced, so it's the only thing left.

post-592-074385000 1323193886_thumb.jpeg

post-592-064773000 1323193873_thumb.jpeg