Off Road With 2Wd

Anyone here have any experience doing any light off roading with a 2WD model? Nothing too intense...just something like getting out of a muddy situation, or climbing a steep hill with loose rocks.

If so, does anyone here have a second set of tires/wheels for the off roading?

Only reason that I'm wondering is because I like to take camping trips to National Parks throughout the Southwest. The fire roads and dirt paths are usually never too bad, but just in the event that it rains or snows, I'm wondering how capable the 2WD truck is...I've just got the stock wheels on an '07 right now, and I feel like even trying to off road with those is a sin.

Thanks.

Thanks - yeah that's kind of what I was thinking.

It's just such a rare scenario to even see rain at the majority of the places I'd be going in California, but I just know I'm going to run into it at some point. It's just hard to justify actually trading it for a different truck - shame they stopped making it AWD.

I wish it was conceivable to do a conversion...I love this thing, it's my baby! Ha Ha.

I think your best option would be to swap to a AWD model for doing what you describe, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't make it far if it was wet and muddy but I think it would be fine in dry weather.

a 2wd can go most places a 4wd can...they just have to go a lot faster lolpeelout.gif

Just get a true locker in the rear and decent tires and you should be fine, all else fails bring a high lift jack and big piece of carpet with you

Edited by Silverado777 (see edit history)

Dry weather, you are fine.

Wet.... you will probably have problems. In 05 I took my grandpas new 2wd Sily down a dirt road. I ended up stuck in a TINY puddle. I had to call my grandma to come pull me out in her Escalade EXT.

Also, people park in my yard since the drive way is always full. He can not get onto the road from my yard if the grass is wet. It's probably a 4-5 foot hill.

Changing tires to something with more off road grip will help. Then you get to listen to that wonderful howl at highway speed..

HA - go grandma!

Cool, all good to know. Thanks. I am pretty sure I am not going to be in enough / any wet weather at all to justify swapping the truck for an AWD...It's always dry in this desert out here....

Any rec's on basic off road tires / rims for support? Nothing fancy at all. Probably won't be using them but a few times throughout the year...

Dry weather, you are fine.

Wet.... you will probably have problems. In 05 I took my grandpas new 2wd Sily down a dirt road. I ended up stuck in a TINY puddle. I had to call my grandma to come pull me out in her Escalade EXT.

Also, people park in my yard since the drive way is always full. He can not get onto the road from my yard if the grass is wet. It's probably a 4-5 foot hill.

Changing tires to something with more off road grip will help. Then you get to listen to that wonderful howl at highway speed..

Awesome. Good to know. Thanks man.

Do you have any tire rec's? And rec's for the locker? Is the True Trac you have pretty solid?

Doesn't the z60 come with a g80? even though that's a locking diff it's no good for this application?

Thanks.

a 2wd can go most places a 4wd can...they just have to go a lot faster lolpeelout.gif

Just get a true locker in the rear and decent tires and you should be fine, all else fails bring a high lift jack and big piece of carpet with you

Edited by cscottamos (see edit history)

The right set of tires will get you anywhere, I use to rage a Z-71 Sierra in Blizzards purposely in 2wd because 4x4 was just no fun and to easy to get around, never got stuck in 2wd. Look at some Bridgestone Blizzaks (winter tire) or some off road tire for the rears.

Additionally, what do you use as the mounting point for your hi-lift? Bumpers on the Silverado probably aren't strong enough, are they?