Transmisson Service

I have 120k on my SS and i have serviced the front and rear diffs and every thing besides the transmission and transfer case. I Have asked around about what i should do. ALL i get is mixed reviews. Just looking for some input. I have heard horror stories and good stories. Any input would be appreciated.

I have 120k on my SS and i have serviced the front and rear diffs and every thing besides the transmission and transfer case. I Have asked around about what i should do. ALL i get is mixed reviews. Just looking for some input. I have heard horror stories and good stories. Any input would be appreciated.

What does the fluid look and smell like? If it is already black and smells burnt then leave well enough alone. If the fluid has some color and does not smell burnt then flush away. I've seen trannys come in with burnt fluid that the customer just HAD to have flushed and we had to push the car off the lift because the tranny would no longer pull the vehicle off it. LOL Unless your vehicle has been used to tow allot in high heat or mountains then the fluid should be ok to flush. The manual says 100k mile service on the trans unless severe duty, and I'm a firm believer in that.

Condition of the fluid will determine if you need a "flush" or not. In some cases "varnish" will build up on hard parts internally over time. When you flush you break up this varnish and plug the oil passages resulting in a malfunctioned transmission.

As said above, that will determine how the truck was used previously and fluid condition. Odds are you will be fine but consider the above.

Did you service the tranny and x-case at 50k or will this be your first service? Like stated, the transmission fluid acts like a little bit of a detergent.

Get that x-case done, again did you have that serviced before?

Along with the things mentioned, Dont forget to get the brake fluid copletely flushed. ( not just a drain and fill, a full flush of the sytem includeing using a scan tool to activate the pump) Most people skip this and this is usually how master cylinders, calipers, wheel cylinders, brake lines, and ABS pumps go bad. The fluid brakes down and absorbs water over time. it also starts to become more corrosive as it does so.

Along with the things mentioned, Dont forget to get the brake fluid copletely flushed. ( not just a drain and fill, a full flush of the sytem includeing using a scan tool to activate the pump) Most people skip this and this is usually how master cylinders, calipers, wheel cylinders, brake lines, and ABS pumps go bad. The fluid brakes down and absorbs water over time. it also starts to become more corrosive as it does so.

:withstupid: Check out Motul Brake Fluid.

I bought this truck 3 months ago thinking i got a good deal. 8,250 for a 03 SS thats rust free 110,000 miles. Well what i got was a truck that needed a lot of work. 2,000 later i think i am almost in the clear. I dont know if its had the 50k service or not I am Assuming no. So after work i am going to take a picture and see what you guys think of the trans fluid.

I bought this truck 3 months ago thinking i got a good deal. 8,250 for a 03 SS thats rust free 110,000 miles. Well what i got was a truck that needed a lot of work. 2,000 later i think i am almost in the clear. I dont know if its had the 50k service or not I am Assuming no. So after work i am going to take a picture and see what you guys think of the trans fluid.

IMO I would do it. Should have been done at 50K. I believe your GM dealer can run a report to see what sevices have been completed (as long as they were through a GM dealer)

I work at a GM dealership and no it has not been done at the dealership. I did a report before i bought it.

IMO I would do it. Should have been done at 50K. I believe your GM dealer can run a report to see what sevices have been completed (as long as they were through a GM dealer)

Well I have seen worse. As long as it does not smell Burnt. I would ask your tranny tech for his thought. If you do a flush, as mentioned change the Filter.

The service used to be 25k miles on the fluid and 50k fluid and filter. But now the fluids have changed and have different life spans. I don't always follow miles I follow fluid conditions if it looks like its getting dark at 10-15 k I do it right away.