Joining The Ranks

SSenvy

Well, my first official Post on the site was in the for sale/wanted section. Some may or not have read, but i was after a 2003-2004 Blue silverado ss preferably in alaska. Well I couldnt find 1 that was in good shape, blue, and low miles... found some that met 1 of those criterias, but not all. Anywho, I did find a 2003 SS, Blue like i wanted, totally stock, dual climate control, with 55k Miles. Had brand new Nitto grappler All terrains on it, with full billet grill on the front end, including the lower inserts ( whatever ya call them ). So last thursday, I flew too Minneaplos Minnesota to go buy it and drive it Back to Anchorage alaska.

If you havnt drove 3600 Miles in 4 days, let me tell ya, it sucks... even if the vehicle is an SS. The trip was pretty Un eventfull, truck ran great.... every single thing works.... except the tach, which i got credited for from the seller to have a new cluster put in.... well kinda... he gave me 400 off.

Total Miles was 3654, I averaged 16.0 on the nose for the whole trip..... 3000 of that was with cruise on at 61-63 depending on road conditions. The last 700 or so miles, from the canadian/alaskan border i left cruise off, and babied it home... averaging around 58 MPH, i got 17.5..... theres 3-4 8% grades on that 700 miles trip, and lots and lots of rolling Hills, so i was actually pleased with 17.5

With that said, Ill be on the forms regularly now, and not a wannabe anymore!:pepsicheer:

I have done some things too it already ( actually in minnesota before driving home )

Low and High beam HID's with HID mod where both low and High can stay on ( awesome )

Husky formed mud flaps... yes guys i know... they take a tad bit away from the sportyness, but drive the alcan in the winter with the gravel, and you would too... Unless ya wanted your truck peppered.

Husky liner floor mats.... again, i live in alaska.... gotta have em.

Thats it for now.... Next Mod will be either CAI, or Tune...... tad broke atm though, so will have to wait.

Looking forward to chiming in here and there.... gotta go now, my ass still hurts from the drive sitting 17 hours a day lol.

Will post pics tomorrow

Justin

Welcome aboard Justin and congrats. You may also be in luck with the cluster, iirc GM will cover the cluster repairs if you are under 75K (which you are).

How much $ did you spend for gas? A buddy from work drove his '03 SSS to San Diego (He's from N.H.) over the summer towing a trailer with 6 motorcycles and he spent $1,000.00 on gas.

Edited by JF-03-SS (see edit history)

Hey Welcome to the site again! That's awesome you got a nice blue one! Arrival Blue is awesome. I've driven that trip twice now in two different SSS's! LOL First was my blue SS which since it was summer I averaged about 17 mpg and the second was a black SS my dad bought and he let me drive it back to Alaska towing a trailer with a VW on it. Both trucks did awesome but I know what your talking about up near the boarder it gets pretty sketchy with bumps and horrible road conditions I also babied both the SSS I when I drove though that as well. I can also relate to driving it in a couple days even if it is a SS its still a pain! I even slept in the bed of the black ss as it had a nice bed rug haha which is now in my truck lol. Anyways if you ever want to meet the other devoted SS guys in AK both me a Jason are kinda obsessed with them so feel free to send a PM anytime. Anyways congrats! pepsicheer.gif

Welcome aboard Justin and congrats. You may also be in luck with the cluster, iirc GM will cover the cluster repairs if you are under 75K (which you are).

How much $ did you spend for gas? A buddy from work drove his '03 SSS to San Diego (He's from N.H.) over the summer towing a trailer with 6 motorcycles and he spent $1,000.00 on gas.

$1131.61 to be exact.... may seem high, but some places in canada i was paying 5.80 a gallon!

Hey Welcome to the site again! That's awesome you got a nice blue one! Arrival Blue is awesome. I've driven that trip twice now in two different SSS's! LOL First was my blue SS which since it was summer I averaged about 17 mpg and the second was a black SS my dad bought and he let me drive it back to Alaska towing a trailer with a VW on it. Both trucks did awesome but I know what your talking about up near the boarder it gets pretty sketchy with bumps and horrible road conditions I also babied both the SSS I when I drove though that as well. I can also relate to driving it in a couple days even if it is a SS its still a pain! I even slept in the bed of the black ss as it had a nice bed rug haha which is now in my truck lol. Anyways if you ever want to meet the other devoted SS guys in AK both me a Jason are kinda obsessed with them so feel free to send a PM anytime. Anyways congrats! pepsicheer.gif

You and Jason have been super nice to me Matt, even with me only having 1 post.... we will definantly have to get together sometime, and grab lunch or something.... again, everyone has been really nice..... glad to be apart of the SS family... great people.

Welcome. I did that exact drive (Minneapolis to anchorage) in my SSS last may and just a few months ago did it in reverse. Not a fun drive at all. Did both of mine in 4 days also. Congrats on the truck I hope you enjoy it.

Enjoying it so far, was it just me, or is canada FLAT as hell until your in BC and Yukon terrioty,,,, north dakota... flat... minnesota... flat... man i love alaska.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

Edited by Quicksilvers (see edit history)

congrats on getting a SS. these trucks are a blast. IMO you got the best color to :dbanana: as for the drive im sure that was not fun. i bought my ss 1800miles from home and i flew down and picked it. up. i went 1800 miles in 23.5 hrs that was no fun. i never even shut the truck off only stopping for fuel and grab a bite to eat. i slept for 1 hr in the truck and i left it running cause it was very cold out. only reason i had to make the trip so fast was because i had to work the following monday and my boss needed me there. anyways enjoy the truck and welcome aboard. :cheers:

Congrats and welcome aboard! I admire your dedication for driving so far. My wife thought I was nuts driving 200 iles to get mine! LOL! Hope you enjoy the SS. I am loving mine. And I am in the same boat as you on the mods. Got a page full of mods to do and no cash! LOL

From a fellow Alaskan welcome pepsicheer.gif. As Matt stated earlier the two of us are pretty hard core SS fans so PM us if you ever wanna get together or have a question bud. Glad to have you on board.

-Jason

You and Jason have been super nice to me Matt, even with me only having 1 post.... we will definantly have to get together sometime, and grab lunch or something.... again, everyone has been really nice..... glad to be apart of the SS family... great people.

Sounds good!