Pitman Arm Tie Rods Replacement

detjoe

So my truck has a good wobble in the wheel. I know my tires are old but think this could be tie rods or the pitman arm. How would you tackle this? I dont want to buy all new stuff if I dont have too, tires are spendy. Should I just do the pitmans or screw it and do it all??

Any tips or advise, its cold and I dont want to waste time.

And after I get this done I am getting new tires and an alignment, any suggestions on good all-season tires?

anyother parts on this list that could get up graded? tie rod sleeves?

I was reading this stuff goes bad on the big tire crowd...so I just might bit the bullet and get all new moog parts :( damn this stuff is expensive.

thanks for your advise and tips

-joe

I was considering doing this too till i found out my tie rod was fine. But another route to go would be to upgrade to Chromoly parts. Not exactly sure what the name of the company for everything was but i know FFR fabrication makes chromoly heim joint tie rods. (see Chase's build) Very expensive but good stuff none the less. Moog makes good stuff if chromoly is out of the budget.

I have changed everything in the front end of my truck and used moog parts. I did the pit man arm if i remember not to bad of an install and also it came with a grease extension. Again i think it was the pit man arm. I notice a HUGE difference in the steering once i grease it up.

Got it up and almost apart. Any tips to get the pitman arm off? I have a cheap puller, but it has some pressure on the arm, i have hit it with map gas and even put the oxy-acly on it and its not budgeing. Dont wamt to cut it off but it seems like that is the only way this is coming off. I will post my tips when i get it done. Great way to kill a weekend, and its snowing.

bump...still no budge.

gonna get better puller tool, hopefully today and see if I can get this off without cutting it...anyone know the part number for the seal at the bottom of the steering box?? is this a dealer part?? I would hope not seems like there are too many of these boxes floating around to not offer the seal at the local parts store.

there is a seal , i just dont have the part number as i did mine recently along with the mentioned above pitman arms .

2011-05-08172823.jpg

2011-05-08172858.jpg

they actually dont make any noise like ball teflon ball joint can do , just keep a bit of oil on them . i dont drive my truck as much as most but more keep the wheels straight on hard launches as the stock tie rods suck and can flex and give you some mean torque steer.

the stock ones should come out iirc , remove the boot and there should be a place you can get a wrench on both side of the rod.

Edited by 04CHASE (see edit history)

thanks chase.

going to pick up compact puller thats recommended for GM trucks....gotta give it one more shot before I cut it off with a wheel. I worked on it for two days...and I am feeling it in my back so I have to call in reinforcements to get this done!

there is a seal , i just dont have the part number as i did mine recently along with the mentioned above pitman arms .

2011-05-08172823.jpg

2011-05-08172858.jpg

they actually dont make any noise like ball teflon ball joint can do , just keep a bit of oil on them . i dont drive my truck as much as most but more keep the wheels straight on hard launches as the stock tie rods suck and can flex and give you some mean torque steer.

the stock ones should come out iirc , remove the boot and there should be a place you can get a wrench on both side of the rod.

Be careful putting oil on spherical rod ends/heim joints. I know in the off road community its a big no no. The dirt sticks to the oil and works its way into places it normally wouldn't if the rod end was dry. Check out the offload shops or online and they sell rubber dust caps that help keep debris out.

One thing I.did find out is that I'm having the same problem in the steering and its a two piece pitman / idler setup. Just bought.the parts and will be in garage this week to do. Found a lot of play when doing the brakes and it is a common Chevy fix with steering. Even on those big suburbans, my friend changes his once a year, bit he's a little ocd. As far as a good all season and performance tire, hankook ventus st rh06. Had those stock.goodyears and they sucked. Have had the hankooks for.a year and they are great.

I'm glad your pitman arm/idler arm switch went fairly smoothly...

My pitman arm was a BEOTCH!!! Broke a 'snap-on" puller, and had to grind a groove in my pitman arm to get it off...

and my steering wheel still shakes :banghead: ...so its tie rod time, inners and outers....i tugged/pulled and pried everything, and all seems tight...i lube the parts at every oil change with synthetic grease...The parts that came off where loose, but not worn out...

one thing though...it only gets the 'death wobble' (bad) when it is colder outside (below 40), and the truck has been sitting...hmmmm :confused:

at over 210k it probably all needs to be replaced....bearings/tie rod ends/control arm bushings/cv axles/ball joints...time to work a Sunday huh? :uhoh:

The old girl needs tires too...cha ching!

Edited by cadillacbob (see edit history)