Transfer Case Failure

So about a week and a half ago I was driving home to the parents place for the holidays and was about 8 hours into my 13 hour trip when I had to slow down to about 40 for some traffic and then when I started to accelerate again all I heard was a horrible grinding noise (like gears slipping) and I lost all power in all gears. There I sat in the middle of the interstate in rush hour traffic in Minneapolis. :mad: So I got towed to an impound and borrowed my uncles car trailer and my dad's truck and hauled it back home.

Once home I dropped the transfer case and took it apart and found that all of the splines between the input shaft and the mainshaft had sheared off allowing the input shaft to slip on the mainshaft. I have never heard of this happening before and looking at the splines that are failed they look like they are rusted. :confused: I am trying to figure out how they could have rusted, the transfer case fluid was still full and had been changed at about 50k miles. My truck is an 03 with approx. 65k miles on it, and I am not making hardly any more power than stock.

Has anybody seen this happen before?

Also for anybody that has swapped to the larger input shaft in order to use the 4l80e, does anybody still have their original transfer case input shaft and would they be willing to sell it for cheap?:help:

Does anybody have any idea what could have caused this failure? It seems like there is no way for oil to get to that end of the mainshaft and it ended up causing the end to rust, but if that was the case I would think a lot more people would have this problem.

I found all the parts I need except the input shaft so far, so if anybody has access to one they want to sell that would be awesome.