Trouble For The Ss

canadianVRss

Hey guys, so I'm sure you all know the new ram 5.7 packs more punch than our beasts but we can still keep up stock for stock even though they have a signifficant HP advantage. But I have a feeling we have a bit to worry about with fords new power train. Even their base V8 (the 5.0) throws out 360hp 380lb. My question is should us stockish guys be worried. I watched a video on YouTube and later read a post he made. It was a single cab short box with the 3.7 V6 (the lowest power engine in the line up). He claimed he had a cai and a tune. He ran a high 14!! I never respected ford and I'll never own one. But they're finally catching up to GM and chrysler. I hope our "mighty" SS pickups can keep up. Any thoughts?

I think it's hard to compare the SS with newer iron. Advances in powertrains are always being made. If the SS was being built today, it likely would have the 6.2 with 403 HP, and the 6L80. What we really need Chevy to do is put us back in the game with a new Silverado SS. :chevy: If they had, I'd be driving that instead of a GMC Sierra Denali.

Edited by Hankg42 (see edit history)

it just sound like when the 94 impala ss came out and KILLED any four door ford/chrsyler made..

chevy stop making them in 96 and than in 03 (9 YEARS LATER) ford come out with the mercury marauder and STILL was slower than the 94-96 impala ss

so its just funny how chevy make cars/trucks and BEAST the car/truck world and stop making them and it take other company's YEARS to come out with something to catch it and chevy done moved on by than

The 3.7 Ford V6 mentioned is turbocharged and moves the F150 faster then their 6.2L V8, kinda sad if you ask me..........Dodge's 5.7L Hemi does make considerably more power then an LQ9, but those trucks are alot heavier and their gearing isn't as short as a 4L65E.....

If you want to keep each of these trucks in your rearview mirror, a CAI/cat-back/good tune are a great start.....and going further into forced induction, stalls, cams, etc. will insure that all they see is tail lights.......

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

The 3.7 Ford V6 mentioned is turbocharged and moves the F150 faster then their 6.2L V8, kinda sad if you ask me..........Dodge's 5.7L Hemi does make considerably more power then an LQ9, but those trucks are alot heavier and their gearing isn't as short as a 4L65E.....

If you want to keep each of these trucks in your rearview mirror, a CAI/cat-back/good tune are a great start.....and going further into forced induction, stalls, cams, etc. will insure that all they see is tail lights.......

The 3.7 is n/a the 3.5 is turboed. It just drives me crazy thinking a n/a scsb v6 can keep up with a stock SS. Kinda nuts really.

The 3.7 is n/a the 3.5 is turboed. It just drives me crazy thinking a n/a scsb v6 can keep up with a stock SS. Kinda nuts really.

Yeah it is crazy, but a POS Ford V6 still can't match the potential and mod-ability of a small block Chevy. :chevy:

If I ever want to beat my dads 2010 hemi ram, ill just get in my wifes v6 camaro lol

Whats weird, is all ive done to my truck is a blackbear tune (03 Ls w/5.3) and it's a hell of a lot closer race than it should be against his truck.

and yes, ours are paid off!!

Edited by 20inchsilverado (see edit history)

3.5 Twin turbo. That's a lot of boost for an engine that small.

I think its pathetic it took the other big 2 9 years to build a truck that can keep up with our SS (putting the SVT Lightning and SRT-10 Ram aside). The one thing that has caught my attention lately is that most chevy trucks around me are lowered but their z-71 pakcages, wtf? Saw 3 today. One in town with a Corsa tip but stock cat back....:banghead: