What Size Cam?

dwalk

if you wanna do it right go bigger then small , go bigger with the stall, no point in goin to the work to do it all if your not gonna go half decent big on the cam. i went 222/224 566/568 112

and would go bigger still , thats not a huge cam by any means . i guess it depends on what ur plans are for the truck . if your gonna do the cam make sure you have long tube headers also . you should always replace your springs if your goin aftermarket cam , also youll need diff. pushrods also . comps a really good choice for cams. do your research theres lots of info on here .

I was wondering what size cam can you go up to without having to replace my stock lifters or any part of the top end? any brand better then others?

2005 Silverado SS stock 6.0 lq9 RWD

I'm not sure there is a specific number that you can go up to, but I'm guessing it's way bigger than you're going to go. Lifters aren't going to hold your cam size down. Yes to answer your second question, there are some brands that are better than others.

how much hp would i gain with just a cam?

I'm not sure there is a specific number that you can go up to, but I'm guessing it's way bigger than you're going to go. Lifters aren't going to hold your cam size down. Yes to answer your second question, there are some brands that are better than others.

how much hp would i gain with just a cam?

you can put a small cam in but its not gonna gain you much of anything. With the weight of the truck you will hardley notice the gains if any.

At the end of the day its your truck

I am going to try to explain my situation after the explanation from 2 very respectable members on here. I want more power but dont want to change my TC. I want a friendly daily driver. From what I have learned you go big or go home. Unless you are satisfied with gains that are not the best bang for your buck. I wanted a very mild cam so I wouldnt have to change internals, but that wasnt happening. So I am stuck between forced induction or going on a big cam with a TC stall. Im not use to having power all of a sudden hit and bam off like a bat outta hell, as my previous cars were a geo prizm and chevy s10 (119 hp prizm and s10 4 cylinder). Im sure their is a setup that you will be happy with, but just like 03silv stated its better to go big than go home because itll be a waste. You will need supporting mods to make that puppy breathe like state (long tube headers). Once you swap a cam, your getting into alot more mods to support it breathing more air into the engine.

I am not nearly as knowleadgable as the other members who have chimed in, but I wanted the same thing and have learned to not do it, jmo. Nonetheless great luck with whatever way you choose.

Well I want to get headers. I was looking to get a nice pair of pacesetters, then a tune. I live in Phoenix and I have heard a lot of hype about zippy tunes. Does that have to do with you Zippy?

That depends on the cam you pick. You can gain 15-60 pretty easily. What is done to the truck so far, what do you use it for, future plans???

That makes a lot of sense. I think I'm just going to round up a nice set of headers and get a custom tune.

Thanks for the help though bro.

I am going to try to explain my situation after the explanation from 2 very respectable members on here. I want more power but dont want to change my TC. I want a friendly daily driver. From what I have learned you go big or go home. Unless you are satisfied with gains that are not the best bang for your buck. I wanted a very mild cam so I wouldnt have to change internals, but that wasnt happening. So I am stuck between forced induction or going on a big cam with a TC stall. Im not use to having power all of a sudden hit and bam off like a bat outta hell, as my previous cars were a geo prizm and chevy s10 (119 hp prizm and s10 4 cylinder). Im sure their is a setup that you will be happy with, but just like 03silv stated its better to go big than go home because itll be a waste. You will need supporting mods to make that puppy breathe like state (long tube headers). Once you swap a cam, your getting into alot more mods to support it breathing more air into the engine.

I am not nearly as knowleadgable as the other members who have chimed in, but I wanted the same thing and have learned to not do it, jmo. Nonetheless great luck with whatever way you choose.

Well I want to get headers. I was looking to get a nice pair of pacesetters, then a tune. I live in Phoenix and I have heard a lot of hype about zippy tunes. Does that have to do with you Zippy?

That is me, yes sir. No problem taking care of that.