6.0 No Power Misfires?

greasemykey

i have a 03 cadillac escalade esv. the reason im posting here is the cadillac forum was not much help and since this is almost the same vehicle i thought i would ask you guys. i just got home from a deployment and started up the truck and while trying to merge onto the highway the truck seems to lose power past 3K CEL starts flashing. so i limp her home and hook up my scanner. i get bank 1 rich, bank 1 cat below threshold and multiple cylinder misfire. i checked the fuel pressure after i changed the filter and at idle i have 45 psi and if i give her any throttle it drops to 40psi. but why the cat code and the rich code? is my cat bad or the fuel pump or both?

I'd start by replacing the driver side o2 sensor. Front one, NOT back. It's throwing a code for the back as well because of the difference between the two sensors not being in spec. I had the exact same problems when I crossed some wires wiring up an afr gauge once.But first to make sure it's the o2 sensor just get under there and unplug the two front ones and take it for a spin. BTW, what's happening is the o2 is stuck rich and telling the computer to lean out to the point it starts misfiring.

Edited by Mr. 3/4 ton SS (see edit history)

With the front o2's disconnected it should have went into open loop, and ran fine, maybe slightly rich. The next step I would do is to switch the sensors from left to right and vice versa, clear the codes, and see if the code stays with the o2 or the left bank. If it ran WAY worse without the o2's it could be the maf sensor(dirty) as well.

With the front o2's disconnected it should have went into open loop, and ran fine, maybe slightly rich. The next step I would do is to switch the sensors from left to right and vice versa, clear the codes, and see if the code stays with the o2 or the left bank. If it ran WAY worse without the o2's it could be the maf sensor(dirty) as well.

going to try and clean that in the morning. the truck does have 106K on it. but what about the fuel pressure. it does seem kind of low does it not?

If it was the fuel pressure, it would throw a lean code(pos. fuel trims), thus having to add more fuel. A rich code means negative fuel trims, meaning it's having to take away fuel, because something(o2 sensor) is telling it it's too rich. But yeah, I agree 40 psi is on the low side, should be about 55-60.

But..., you have an 03 and that means return style fuel system, so did you unhook the vacuum line off the regulator when you tested to get full pressure?

Well you could, but if you had both disconnected earlier(and it still ran bad), I don't see any reason to. Just make sure you actually had the front(before the cats) o2 sensors unplugged and not the rear. Did you check to see if your fuel pressure stayed up for a while after the vehicle is turned off or did it immediately go back to 0?

Well you could, but if you had both disconnected earlier(and it still ran bad), I don't see any reason to. Just make sure you actually had the front(before the cats) o2 sensors unplugged and not the rear. Did you check to see if your fuel pressure stayed up for a while after the vehicle is turned off or did it immediately go back to 0?

i did and it stayed up