Idle Stall?

stevet8754

hey guys. got a question and not sure where to post it.

i recently replaced my battery and alternator(145 amp) and i just noticed that when i come to a stop from moving my idle rpm goes down to ~300 and then evens out around 500-600 from what i can tell . also be4 i upgraded my alternator from 105 to 145 the battery voltage would from to 12 volts as i came to the stop and a few seconds after i would stay stoped the battery voltage would go back to 15. i havnt noticed it drop on my ride home but it may. it has stalled out on me once in a parking lot but idk what is causing this. i didnt notice this happeneing be4 i changed my battery and alternator. i first bought a 105 amp alternator and my mechanic said that seems low for the 6.0 so i bumbed it up to 145 in expectations that it would fix the problem. but it hasnt. i asked my mechanic he mentioned that it could be my computer haveing to relearn the idle for my truck and just give it a few days. just wanted to get a few other opnions on this.

thanks.

How often do you drive the truck? I rarely drive mine but when i took mine out it would dip into the 300s and almost stall at a complete stop. I never did any alternator change or batter swap. Still factory setup. However I was told to drive it a few cycles (like 10-20 miles) and the pcm would relearn. Never had a problem again.

Just have to say again I did not swap anything out. So as I stated how much you drive the drive truck? Daily driver? Very rarely?

it is possible that the new alternator has a bad regulator. and of course check and double check your wires, but then again if you're getting 15 volts, i don't think it would be a loose wire.

15 volts is also very close to electrical disaster

Edited by WODY™ (see edit history)

getting a new alternator theres always a chance it can be bad. I went through 3 lifetime warranty reman delco 145amp alternators in about 6 months before i spent the extra money on a brand new one with only a 3 year warranty and havent had any problems yet. Take it to your local parts store or shop and have them test it just to double check.

The PCM is re-learning since the battery was pulled. This is normal. It will also do this if your battery runs down and has little juice in it to start the truck. A few times driving will take care of it.

I've been looking at upgrading from the stock 105 amp alternator because i have efans, train horn compressor, electric turbo pump so i burn a lot of juice. Is Delco the way to go or is there better on ebay, Jegs, Summit....etc?

• 1 month later...