Anyone Ever Run 4 Or Even 6 Mufflers!?

slowfive0

Well after getting pulled over twice in one month when I wasn't really doing anything wrong/plus hitting the big four ohhhh, I've decided to quiet this monster down. Here is a link to the current system. The cats failed a few months after they were put on so they are now just shells of their former selves gr_angel.gif

Anyhow, I ordered (2) #12589 Magnaflow muffler:

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=9377

...to replace my 70 series flowmasters. I can't stand the drone that isn't supposed to be there (according to flowmaster) and they are a tad too loud. The flowmasters sounded really good actually, but to get pulled over for 1/2 throttling it from a light and never exceeding the speed limit........... rolleyes.gif

Silverado SS pictures by slowfive0 - Photobucket

I think the exhaust note will be better and quieter with the Magnaflows, but I think it will be still on the loud side for the sound level that I want to be at (think how loud a Corsa Touring system with stock cats is and you are in the ballpark).

So I ordered (2) bottle style resonators from Vibrant also:

Vibrant Performance ::.

They will be placed before the mufflers. I'm hoping this will quiet it wayyyy down. If not, I will order an additional (2) "Ultra Quiet" resonators from Vibrant that will be put in the tailpipes.

Vibrant Performance ::.

I don't want to hurt performance and I want it to be VERY QUIET. I know, that's gay and all. Call me old shrug.gif My race car can be loud, not this. Thoughts? Anyone else run multiple mufflers, etc and did it kill their performance? Thanks guys! gr_chug.gif

P.S. Be funny as hell if the truck goes faster with 6 mufflers, then with the original 2 Flowmasters.....

Edited by slowfive0 (see edit history)

Don't have it and my system is a true dual system with 3" pipes anyways. There are a lot of people with late model muscle who run multiple mufflers, but honestly I've never paid that much attention to those discussions. Now that I'm interested in going that direction, I can't find any information in my searches....

I think the truck will pick up performance with the Magnaflows and will probably be a tad quieter. With the resonators I'm hoping it will be pretty quiet with no loss in performance. That is what the manufacturers claim I should see, but the last time I listened to a manufacturer, they said these 70 series flowmasters would have no drone due to the built in resonators.........

why dont ya just put the stock muffler back on???? if you want quite anyways

Wow Flowmaster 70 series are too loud, and have too much drone? That is one of there quietest mufflers. I use to have 50Sereis SUVs and they were way to quiet for me.

lol wat ya runnin now? true duals stright pipe lol

Which part number are you referring to? I think these mufflers I ordered are about the biggest straight through design muffler Magnaflow has. It has the huge 5" x 11" body too. I'm planning to log some runs before I take the flowmasters off, then with the switch to the Magnaflows, then the addition of the resonators. As long as the weather conditions stay pretty similar, I should be able to get a decent idea of any performance increase/decrease from the MAF airflow pid. At least, that is what I'm thinking.......

Could always go with dual 26'' Magnaflows.....shouldn't be too loud with those.

Coming from the two chamber flowmaster/h-pipe on my mustang days, I know what you're saying---lol! But these are 3" which add some noise. They aren't terrible and probably not noisy by most of the boards standards, but they are too loud for my tastes at this point in life. I drive probably close to 50 miles a day soft in mostly city driving. Other then drone range (around 1800-2000 rpm), they are fairly quiet under light throttle, but open it up a little and it gets obnoxious very quick! The drone is nothing like the a 2 chamber muffler, but it is definitely there and quite annoying when combined with the heavy vehicle weight + loose converter + heavy stop and go traffic......

I put (2) of the biggest 50 series flowmasters I could fit on my mustang with an x-pipe back in the day (3") and I loved it!!!!

Wow Flowmaster 70 series are too loud, and have too much drone? That is one of there quietest mufflers. I use to have 50Sereis SUVs and they were way to quiet for me.

You guys are killing me---lol! My wife has a Lincoln MKT with the twin turbo Ecoboost motor. With the tune, they run mid 13's! I love driving it because I can rage on it and no one around you would know any different (except for the bus lengths!!!!) LOL! It so quiet and smooth! That quiet nasty surge of power is awesome!!! Definitely plan on some turbos for the truck in the near future.

lol wat ya runnin now? true duals stright pipe lol

Well 1/2 way there. Today, we put on some 18" resonators before the mufflers first (with existing flowmasters). Probably made a 10% reduction if that in noise. Then replaced the flowmasters with the equally large (22"x11"x5") magnaflows (2 of them). Sound is definitely quieter and the drone was pretty much gone. I could live with it and it sounds really nice! Wish I had a sound clip. Plan is to add a "super quiet" style resonator in each tailpipe in the morning. If I can, I'll post up a sound clip before and after. Either way, I think some of the senior citizens on here may find this a viable option for your daily cruisers ;-) Take care

I can agree with you. Flowmasters for most applications sound great, but they do so because they get that deep rumble. The deep rumble is what companies like Corsa eliminate since this is the horrible drone that you get inside your cab, your house, and every other thing near your truck. Go with the Magnaflow's along with the resonators and you'll be fine. Even Magnaflow has no technology in their mufflers which tends to create a drone issue, but not nearly as bad as Flowmasters. You won't likely see any loss or gain in performance other than the extra weight from so many mufflers. If you do some digging you'll find some done with multiple mufflers. What I'd look into also is the dual in/dual out 3" muffler into two short 3" mufflers and 2 short 3" resonators all coming out of the passenger rear with 3" tips. Here are some pic's and a post on it from PT.net. Mr. Sandog's pic is gone (formerly NakedAV), but you can see his if you google NakedAV Magnaflow and go to images.

My link

Done! SUCCESS, if you like quiet!!!! closedeyes.gifyellow_loser.gif

With the addition of the resonator in each tailpipe (basically a 10" long case - 4.5" x 6.75") really did the trick! It is quiet with a nice tone. You get on it, you can definitely hear it, but it isn't crazy loud like before. No drone----very happy with it!!!

To be honest, if you like sound, a couple of the big magnaflow mufflers and I think most would be very happy. Add these resonators and it quiets it down big time (around 20%) if you're old and like it more tame.

I would compare to this system to the sound level of a Corsa Touring with factory cats imho.....Hope this helps, the quality of my recordings suck, but I was using my cell phone---what can I say....pepsicheer.gif

I considered that route but I wanted to run the x-pipe as close to the front as I could and I really kind of wanted 2 of the biggest mufflers I could fit in the interest of quiet. I've heard your muffler with a setup that had two resonators (like mine) before it and it was nice.

Im running 2 magnaflow highflow cats with one 2in2out muffler that is basically a X pipe, no reall baffles inside, sounds great, not to loud, no real drone, but loud enoungh to sound good without that cheap crackling and popping sound

Thanks man pepsicheer.gif

I just stalked through your photobucket albums lol. Nice job, looks real nice and clean. Nice truck.