Buying a Silverado, which one SS or 1500 HD

shadowmaker

Ok, I m stuck on which one to get. 1500 HD or SS. I like them both. Price is going to be within $1k-$1500 difference (SS is more)

Can you work the SS? As in how much will it haul? What about towing, hows it do? I ll be pulling 3 4wheelers up into the mountains of West Va. 2 on a trailer, 1 in the bed.

How reliable is the AWD? Alot of maintenance? How does it do in the snow? What about gas mileage, are the low #s due to a heavy foot or does it really matter?

What about the front end, since it sits lower, does it get tons of rock chips on the painted front? Is there a bra being made for it? (The last 30 miles in West Va is unpaved and lots of gravel.)

I ve done a search and got alot of answers but still have some concerns. I want this to be the last truck I buy for a long time, so durablity is a key thing. I know the 1500 HD will last a while. I m just concerned about the AWD.

This decision is driving me crazy any help is appreciated.

Brad :smash:

from what i hear the SS's tow pretty good. i myself haven't towed much with mine, but i have loaded the bed up beyond what most would suggest and everything worked out fine.

as for the rocks and such up front, best of luck driving down the dirt roads. i haven't had any problems with mine. but i haven't seen much more than a few bugs here and there. you can alway opt for that clear film that 3M has on the market to help with that.

driving in the snow isn't to bad at all. the width of the tires can be a pain at times. didn't really have any issues last winter though. the AWD helps a lot too. haven't had any problems with the drive train as of yet. after the zippy treatement everything i expect will be just fine.

gas milage, you get what you get when you drive a pick-up. with a bit of work you get improve it a bit. the only real benefit to all that is gaining a little distance between fill ups. you never really recover you costs with the mods needed to improve gas milage. right now i am averaging 13-14 around town and a bit better on the highway. road trips i manage to get 17-18...

best of luck with your decision...

You should add in the quadrasteer then the prices will be even so you can throw that out of the equation.

Are you hauling the people that are riding the quads? Crew Cab is a bonus

SS is premium fuel if fuel costs are a concern

20" tires are more available in offroad traction these days so you could probably find some better tires for the winter.

Here are a couple of numbers for the hauling capacities of the two trucks

Silverado SS

Payload: 1787

Trailering: 8100

2500 Light Duty Crew Cab

Payload: 2766

Trailering: 10200

If I was going for a family vacationer I'd go for the 2500 LD CC w/ quadrasteer.

If it's mostly going back and forth to work I'd go for the SS - fun factor.

Another truck in the mix is the 2005 Denali Crew Cab. Same engine and tranny as the SS but with a crew cab. Don't know if the quad will fit in 5'8" bed though.

20s will be available on them too.

WKA2004073063882_pv.jpg

tough call. the 1500hd is going to have a heavier duty drivetrain due to the 8600gvw. towing isn't too big a deal with the SS although if you're towing heavy loads it isn't going to be quite as well of a puller since the 20's aren't exactly the E-load rating of the 16's on the 1500HD. does the HD have the dvd player? if you have kids thats a bonus. i'd say your main decision is going to be in how hard you want it to work and how often you'll have more than 2 people in the truck.

The AWD on these trucks is very reliable, and Excellent in bad weather. The SS will very easily tow 3 four wheelers wherever you want to take them, and you will probably still be able to pass people with ease even while hauling them behind you. There will be a higher initial cost with the SS, as well as a bit worse gas mileage, which sucks when you go to fill it up. It is worth it though when you see everybody drooling when you pull up in an SS.

By the way, does anyone know where you get that clear film for the front of the truck? My paint on the front is close to perfect still and I want to keep it that way.

Most of the towing will be the 4 wheelers, 4 at the most. I have 2 kids, 4 and 7 so right now there is plenty of room. But I was told by the boss, the next new vehicle is for her, so this has to last me.

I have a Pontiac GTP now. It s not the fastest thing in the world but it is pretty quick. So, fun factor is also a major thing. This will be my everyday driver so it has to be enjoyable.

There are 2 1500 HDs I m looking at and they are a crew cab, one does have 6.0, but it is a 01. I dont know anything about it yet, salesman is suppose to have it there today. Price on that one is about 6k less than the new one. The new one for some reason has the 5.3 which I didnt know GM did that.

There will probably be some trips that me and the fellas take off on our own. So, occasionally 1-2 guys will be in the back. But I guess if they dont like it they can drive their on trucks. :D:jester: I m not buying it for them to be comfortable. I think the kids will be ok.

Another thing about the SS is that everyone and their brother dont have one.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Brad

the real 1500hd has a 6.0 only with 4L80E and 9.5" rear diff. the new one's are just 1500's. to get the same truck as the 1500hd now you have to get the 2500 crew cab. it's just a badging issue since the 1500hd shouldn't have been called a 1500 at all. fuel milage is about the same. as for the newer crew cab half ton with the 5.3, i'd treat that like a suburban with a bed since it's very under powered with the weight. either way, make sure to get the 4.10 gear and locking differential.

I take that you are wanting a 4wd.

If not, you may want to look into the HO C1500.

6.0 ext. cab 2wd

Less money than HD or SS with a 6.0

Here's a invoice on one.

>>back to Dealer's Inventory

ELLIOTT CHEVROLET, INC.

311 E TYLER

ATHENS, TX 75751-2013

Phone: (903) 675-5115

2004 Silverado 1500 Extended Cab Standard Box 2WD

VORTEC 6000 V8 SFI GAS ENGINE

HD 4-SPD AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

BLACK

DARK CHARCOAL INTERIOR TRIM

VIN: 2GCEC19N741428367

>>PRINT

>>REQUEST A QUOTE

MANUFACTURER'S SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE

STANDARD VEHICLE PRICE $ 27,600.00

Options installed by Manufacturer

SILVERADO PERFORMANCE PACKAGE:

6.0L HIGH OUTPUT ENGINE

20" CHROME ALUM WHEELS

HIGH PERFORMANCE SUSPENSION

$ 2,850.00

TX/OK/LA/CA/FL/NM EQUIPMENT

FOG LAMPS

AM/FM STEREO W/CD & CASSETTE

AND BOSE SPEAKER SYSTEM

(REQUIRED FOR TX/OK/LA/CA/FL/NM

TRUCK DISCOUNT BELOW FOR

RESIDENTS - OK,TX,LA,CA,FL,NM &

PARTS OF KS,AR,MS,AL,SC & GA

SEE DEALER FOR DETAILS)

$ 735.00

SAFE & SOUND PACKAGE

6-WAY POWER DRIVER BUCKET SEAT

ONSTAR SYSTEM

INCLUDES 1 YR SAFE & SOUND

XM SATELLITE RADIO-100 CHNLS

OF GO ANYWHERE ENTERTAINMENT

SERVICE FEE EXTRA 1ST 3MO.INC

$ 1,890.00

OSRV MIRROR W/DRIVER SIDE AUTO

DIMMING, PWR FOLD & ADJ,

HEAT, TURN SIGNAL

$ 213.00

TX/OK/LA/CA/FL/NM TRUCK

DISCOUNT

$ -1,000.00

LOCKING REAR DIFFERENTIAL

$ 295.00

SAFE & SOUND PKG.

DISCOUNT

$ -1,000.00

SLIDING REAR WINDOW REPLACES

ELECTRIC REAR WINDOW DEFOGGER

NO CHARGE

LS DECOR INCLUDES:

DUAL PWR HEATED OSRV MIRRORS

REAR WINDOW DEFOGGER

AM/FM STEREO W/CD PLAYER

CHROME STYLED STEEL WHEELS

POWER LOCKS & WINDOWS

REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY WITH

CONTENT THEFT ALARM

ISRV MIRROR W/COMPASS &TEMP

LEATHER WRAPPED STEERING WHL

BODY SIDE MOLDINGS

NO CHARGE

GVW RATING - 6,200 LB

NO CHARGE

DEEP TINTED GLASS

$ 107.00

HD TRAILERING EQUIPMENT

$ 330.00

REAR AXLE - 3.73 RATIO

$ 50.00

REDUNDANT RADIO CONTROLS

$ 125.00

TOTAL OPTIONS $4,595.00

TOTAL VEHICLE & OPTIONS $32,195.00

DESTINATION CHARGE $850.00

TOTAL VEHICLE PRICE* $ 33,045.00

STANDARD EQUIPMENT

Items Featured Below are included at NO EXTRA CHARGE in the Standard Vehicle Price Shown at Right

*** MECHANICAL ***

• INDEPENDENT FRONT SUSPENSION

• MULTI-LEAF REAR SPRINGS

• STAINLESS STEEL EXHAUST

• PLATINUM TIP SPARK PLUGS

• SYNTHETIC REAR AXLE FLUID

• TRAILERING WIRE HARNESS

*** SAFETY & SECURITY ***

• 4-WHEEL ABS W/DYNAMIC REAR PROPORTIONING

• 4-WHEEL DISC BRAKES

• DRIVER/RIGHT FRT PASSENGER DUAL STAGE AIR BAGS W/PASS. SIDE SENSING SYSTEM

• THEFT DETERRENT IGNITION

• DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS

• ADJ. RR SEAT HEAD RESTRAINTS

*** EXTERIOR ***

• CHROME FRONT BUMPER

• CHROME REAR BUMPER

• WIDE ACCESS REAR DOORS

• FRONT RECOVERY HOOKS

*** INTERIOR ***

• DUAL ZONE AIR CONDITIONING

• COMFORTABLE REAR SEAT ANGLE

• DRIVER INFORMATION CENTER

• INTERMITTENT WIPERS

• GAGE PACKAGE WITH TACHOMETER

• TILT WHEEL

• ELECTRONIC SPEED CONTROL

*** OTHER ***

• BATTERY RUN DOWN PROTECTION

• OIL LIFE MONITORING SYSTEM

• 24 HOUR ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE

While every effort is made to assume this information to be accurate, variations in the manufacturing process, dealer installed accessories and mileage figures may cause this window sticker display to vary from that on the vehicle. Check with your dealer for complete information.

*Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price. Tax, title, license, dealer fees and optional equipment are extra.

Ok just got back from looking at the 01 1500 HD. Their website said it had 25k but it actually has 55k miles. Whoever had it, worked the piss out of it and didnt look to have taken care of it. It was an ok truck if I wasnt going to drive it everyday or maybe for a work truck. So that one has been ruled out.

Yes I want AWD or 4wd. The mountains of West Va where we ride the 4 wheelers do get unexpected snow and I d hate to have to pull a 2wd truck out of the mountains with the 4 wheeler.

Does anyone have the invoice cost of the SS? The one I found was $34917. Dealer said it had been there so long they would sell it below invoice just to move it. I looked at it tonight and the inspection sticker is about to run out so they ve had it a good 6,8, maybe 10 months. And it only had 31 miles on it so no one has really been looking at it.

I did drive a 01 1500 that was really nice but the fun factor wasnt there. Again, if this was a 2nd car to me fun factor wouldnt come into play. I would enjoy it, but I ve had a camaro, a z28 and the gtp in the last 10 yrs plus my other truck. All those cars had a fun factor to them.

I know what I want, I know what I like, I m just unsure about the SS awd. My wife is the one who gets the price down. Think shes going make a offer tomorrow and see what we get.

The SS gives me that warm fuzzy feeling.

Brad

One lot has a "supposedly" 04 1500 HD with a 5.3. I thought all the HD had the 6.0 they told me no. I think thats BS. Not getting that one anyway.

The one I drove tonight was an 2001.

Heres another question. How do the tires wear with AWD? I ve heard they wear faster. Tirerack only has 3 tire choices in the 20" size. Cheapest one is like $140. What other size can I put on in the 20s?

BTW thanks for all the help guys.

Brad

Archived