Cam Critique For My Top End Rebuild Please

Goal=I am looking for a great all around cam for city driving that works well with a ls6 valve spring.

Truck= silverado SS with 6.0 yank 2600,LSXRT manifold and 243 heads with .4 cometic gasket so about 11 coompression

Cam= 218/224 .527/534" 115LSA +4

What are your opinions of this cam and what do you think it will do for all around driving experience? Maybe a little better 1/4" hopefully?

The best way to find out if the cam will work for what you want it to are to call the manufacturer of the cam. Tell them what you have done already and what you want the cam to do with your setup. They will give you the best cam choice that will give you gains where you want it. Alot of people choose cams based on how they make the motor sound. Just because it sounds good and choppy doesnt mean that cam will make the most power with your setup that you have.

Edited by Blown 346 (see edit history)

11.3 compression assuming a 0 deck height. i checked mine at .008 above the block so that is around 11.56:1(simple compression, i didn't figure in the gasket space or top ring height). I like your higher compression goals, this will only help.

are the heads ported?

Do you think you may go to a 3000-3200 stall. Don't fear a stall in the 3000 range, it's very tame.

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

I would look into a custom grind in the 224/226 high.58x to low 59x lift, 112+2 lsa

With the work you have done to it a larger lift than above and a larger stall like mentioned above.

As for springs some good Beehive springs like Luinati aren't expensive and will be reliable in low rpm driving and still give you good seat pressure with an aggresive cam profile.

Drivability with a 3k stall and a bigger cam can be like stock if tuned in right.

Zippy I think you should set up phone appointments and start charging a consultation fee. You always full of great info. Wanna build a short block? It is hard to find a local company to build one SLP only does alum blocks(415) now and you need to convert to gen 4 and most of the local guys won't stand behind the work done. I prefer to go local and pay a little more. No one is interested.

Shadow I am torn on having the heads milled a little to grab a little more compression (11.5) and I really prefer the stock head gasket to a cometic one for longevity nothing beats a stock head gasket they are proven. So it's 243 with cometic or milled with stock gasket. Milling is cheap. I called around.

I know I am going up in compression 100% not sure on the tunable upper limit on pump gas I can't get 93 octane most of the time it's 91 or 90. When I was in Vegas a few stations carried 100% right at the pump!!

Edited by evand (see edit history)

Zippy I think you should set up phone appointments and start charging a consultation fee. You always full of great info. Wanna build a short block? It is hard to find a local company to build one SLP only does alum blocks(415) now and you need to convert to gen 4 and most of the local guys won't stand behind the work done. I prefer to go local and pay a little more. No one is interested.

Shadow I am torn on having the heads milled a little to grab a little more compression (11.5) and I really prefer the stock head gasket to a cometic one for longevity nothing beats a stock head gasket they are proven. So it's 243 with cometic or milled with stock gasket. Milling is cheap. I called around.

I know I am going up in compression 100% not sure on the tunable upper limit on pump gas I can't get 93 octane most of the time it's 91 or 90. When I was in Vegas a few stations carried 100% right at the pump!!

Although I'm running a aftermarket head my chamber size is the same as the 243 heads, I've read 64cc and 65cc, and i read someone checked theirs at 64.45cc. I am also using the cometic gaskets, and put the cometic gaskets on ss_muscle_trucks stock motor. I have no reason to doubt them, they are also MLS the same as the gm ones. I wouldn't worry at all about using them.

I just had a discussion with zippy about the compression limits of gas and what you can get away with, and its not as black and white as i first thought. I asked him why i can run 11.41 compression with a crap load of timing and not get any knock but a stock ss can't run 87 octane with very little timing. He said every factor effects what you can "get away with", how does the chamber of the head look, how much overlap is in the cam, are you running headers not manifolds, what spark plug are you using, what thermostat is in the truck. He said one of the biggest factors is the cylinder temp, the headers help get rid of the heat fast, more overlap in the cam draws cool air in but also helps flush the hot air out by bleeding that cool air into the headers, and of coarse the lower coolant temps. So i guess what i'm trying to say is, if you set your truck up right with other mods your truck will have a higher tolerance to take the higher compression with the 91 octane gas and still be able to put timing to it.

Since your picking a cam right now as well, you can also start to figure your dynamic compression. A cam's overlap will bleed the static compression out lowering your actual(dynamic) compression. I've read 8.9 dynamic is a good place to be for tuning the motor, hopefully zippy can give his idea's on this. As a whole, pick the cam that you want to use based on expected power band, then using the valve events on the cam card start to figure out the dynamic compression of different set ups to see what you get. Like figure X cam with 65cc head and .051 gasket, X cam with 65cc head and .040 gasket, X cam with 63 cc head and .051 gasket, and so on.

http://www.projectpontiac.com/ppsite15/compression-ratio-calculator

just put in our lq9 info

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

I drive in the city a lot. I use it for my daily driver. I tow a couples boats and trailers with it. I go to the strip a few times a year for street night. Not for numbers just fun. I just want an all around better drive. Especially at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle where it lives. I want to to respond faster.