New Best!

8hnpSS

One thing I wanted to point out to people looking to go fast with the boosted trucks. If you notice, most of the trucks that run a good 60' time and overall a good track time have Vigialnte converters. I'm not trying to sell them as I don't make anything from this. It's hard to deny just how good these converters work in these trucks. A good number of the TB converters on here even were Precision Industries brand. Good info to know when shopping for converters.

Very interested in this. What are good 60 foot times? Most of my times are in the 1.70x range with 2 runs in the 1.69x range. I run a triple disc from circle d. I think the 60's are probably comparable ( maybe) but that is only a piece of the picture. Up top (talking about the converter efficiency) I'm skewing the results because I lock the converter up right after the 3rd gear shift. But there is still that mid range area where two converters may perform entirely different.......thoughts

One thing I wanted to point out to people looking to go fast with the boosted trucks. If you notice, most of the trucks that run a good 60' time and overall a good track time have Vigialnte converters. I'm not trying to sell them as I don't make anything from this. It's hard to deny just how good these converters work in these trucks. A good number of the TB converters on here even were Precision Industries brand. Good info to know when shopping for converters.

To elaborate a little on my above comment, when I get on it on the freeway, when it shifts to 3rd and is pulling...as soon as the converter locks up (maybe 2 mph after the shift) the truck feels noticeably more powerful and like its accelerating harder. It actually sets u back a little in the seat. So I'm not 100% convinced that it is coupling up very efficiently..... This is all speculation on my part though. I need to go make a few passes then set my tune so it doesn't lock the converter and retest and see what the difference in mph is. I'm assuming probably 1-2 mph less with converter unlocked?????

One other point about the Vigilante converters. I ran a triple disc unit in my mustang and loved it! The only reason I didn't buy another one when I did my trans in the sss was because of a lot of reports of broken hubs. Were those cases flukes or other problems not related to the converter or did Precision fix the hubs?

One other point about the Vigilante converters. I ran a triple disc unit in my mustang and loved it! The only reason I didn't buy another one when I did my trans in the sss was because of a lot of reports of broken hubs. Were those cases flukes or other problems not related to the converter or did Precision fix the hubs?

A good deal of the broken hubs was from not having the correct flex-plate to converter pad spacing. Most people just bolt up the converter without checking. The hub wasn't fully engaged in the transmission (pump) causing undue stress at the tips of the converter hub. They started sending alert notes with their converters a year or two ago for this reason.

After the transmission bellhousing bolts are tightened, check to see if the torque converter will

turn by hand. Push the torque converter back into the transmission as far as it will go. Using

feeler gauges or calipers measure the gap between the flexplate converter mounting pad and the

torque converter mounting pad. If gap distance is between .060” and .187” it is OK to bolt up the

torque converter. If the gap is greater than .187” install a .060” flat washer between the torque

converter and flexplate

Oh, that makes more sense. I think Precision was already using the heavy duty hubs (diesel vintage maybe??) so it didn't make sense that theirs were breaking and no one else as most of the converter manufacturers buy those parts and then build their owned tweaked units. Thanks for clearing that up. pepsicheer.gif

A good deal of the broken hubs was from not having the correct flex-plate to converter pad spacing. Most people just bolt up the converter without checking. The hub wasn't fully engaged in the transmission (pump) causing undue stress at the tips of the converter hub. They started sending alert notes with their converters a year or two ago for this reason.

After the transmission bellhousing bolts are tightened, check to see if the torque converter will

turn by hand. Push the torque converter back into the transmission as far as it will go. Using

feeler gauges or calipers measure the gap between the flexplate converter mounting pad and the

torque converter mounting pad. If gap distance is between .060" and .187" it is OK to bolt up the

torque converter. If the gap is greater than .187" install a .060" flat washer between the torque

converter and flexplate

Sorry for getting off track on this. Keep tweaking at that thing man and it will go even faster peelout.gif Nice way to start out the season thumbsup.gif

Nice run man. Congrats on the new PB!

Edited by slowfive0 (see edit history)