Engine Light? Mass Air Flow?

hey guys.

i have had my engine light come on a few times in the past. all the code says is mass air flow sensor. my mechanic said you can just swap out the mass air flow sensor and see if it fixes it. which i really don't want to drop the cash for a new one if i know mine is not bad. if i let the light just stay on it goes out within 2 days ( there is no change int he performance or drive ability of my truck). didn't know if this happened to anyone else. i did notice an extremely light amount of dust on my mass air flow sensor when i cleaned it a few months ago. ( like barely there.. ). im unsure how the mass air flow sensor measures the air going into my intake manifold. would such a light amount of dust cause my engine light to come on?. ( i have a K&N intake with a cone filter. ).

hey guys.

i have had my engine light come on a few times in the past. all the code says is mass air flow sensor. my mechanic said you can just swap out the mass air flow sensor and see if it fixes it. which i really don't want to drop the cash for a new one if i know mine is not bad. if i let the light just stay on it goes out within 2 days ( there is no change int he performance or drive ability of my truck). didn't know if this happened to anyone else. i did notice an extremely light amount of dust on my mass air flow sensor when i cleaned it a few months ago. ( like barely there.. ). im unsure how the mass air flow sensor measures the air going into my intake manifold. would such a light amount of dust cause my engine light to come on?. ( i have a K&N intake with a cone filter. ).

It measures the air going into the motor with the little wires that are in it. Those ar very sensitive to cleaners etc. You should use a MAF cleaner only to make sure you dont damage them. Its not the dust or dirt thats causing the issue, its the MAF itself. I had the same issue with mine a few years ago. The only solution is to replace it. It does effect the way the computer and engine monitor the air and fuel ratio of the engine. If the MAF sensor is seeing too much air or too little air, then your fuel trim will also change. I bought a used MAF from a member here and I never had another issue.

Do you know what code it was exactly??? That will help tons with a diagnosis.

A while ago I posted a bit about how the MAF works in the intro to my MAF calibration write-up. you can read the first paragraph to get an idea on how it works...

MAF tuning link

• 2 years later...