Help With Ngk Afx And Efilive V2

Fourtraxjay

Hello all. Ok I took the advise of Mr. P and picked up a NGK AFX wideband for my truck. Was hoping to play with autotune.

Install was pretty straight forward. Cut and re spice the o2 sensor connector after running wires through firewall. Powered the 12v from the SEO connector on the MBEC (up by the brake pedal). Changed corresponding 10a fuse under hood to a 4 amp. grounded to firewall

Did the free air calibration for about 10 minutes. installed, went for drive, worked beautifully. After maybe 10kms. (okay that about 6 miles to you guys) went home and parked it for night.

Next morning I hooked up the analog output wires to ext1 of my efilive vs and load the appropriate pids per the autotune tuturial. (using NGK pids).

I am not 100% clear on how to wire the anolog output of the AFX. After much research with no clear answers, I wired both yellow and brown to the ext1 connector of the V2 handheld.

****the AFX instructions say to make sure this brown anaolog ground wire is grounded to same ground as the 2 black system grounds?

But since the EFILIVE handheld needs an analog ground, I wired it there instead. Should I have also jumpered the brown analog ground wire to the chassis ground as well as the connecting it to the handheld?

Anyway, something screwed up when I started the truck with the wideband installed for the second time (after only 6 mile drive at pretty much stoich) while monitoring output on my laptop.

This is how it went. Wideband did it countdown, started truck. efilive said AFR of 10 (no idea if this was right for cold start) , wideband said 14.5, then read sen4 error.

Disconnected anaolog outputs from handheld and retried. AFX reads 14.5 for a few seconds then goes to SEN4.

Checked wiring. changed ground position for piece of mind, attempted to free air calibrate sensor again. Only reads Sen4.

Called NGK and got few if any real answers other than obvious, check your wiring, maybe sensor failed. NGK could also not answer my question about the brown analog output gournd wire. Told me to check with EFILIVE.

I know wideband 02 sensors are delicate measuring devices, but could I really have screwed it after a 6 mile drive

Edit: The sensor is Ok. I tested with a brand new one tonight and same result. I will completely yank out the harness and see if I can find anything........

To Summarize my questions.

1) opinions on wideband sensore failure? I got a bad one? I hooked the handheld up incorrectly and toasted it? Bung is welded in at the 4 or 5 o'clock position as there was not way to get it in the top half of the pipe. condensation damage from 1 evening??? Shut up Jay and go buy a new sensor, that's the nature of the beast?? ( I will if this is the way it goes....... just don't want to throw $150 at a 10minute old system until I exhaust the obvious.

2) When you wire AFX to EFIlive does the brown analog ground wire go directly to the handheld ext1 pin, or the chassis ground, or to both?

3) When monitoring your wideband with EFIlive, I pick a gauge on dashboard to change to AFR (wideband). under properties I can select from my selected pid's.

DO I want to watch. Wideband AFR 1- NGK AFX (afr) OR Wideband AFR 1-NGK AFX (v) . I assumed (afr).

Thanks in advance for any input you may have.

Jay

If anyone says 'use the search button' , rest assured I ALWAYS search high and low for an answer before I post. If I missed it, EXCUSE me.

Edited by Fourtraxjay (see edit history)

Thanks, Ok got the wideband working now.

I had read what sinr98 suggested before, but re-read it and it now makes more sense. I was assuming the pids in efilive for the ngk afx controller would be 'ready to use'. I am starting to understand the difference, as stoich value for the afx and the pcm do not match.

I will re read some stuff on integrating the afx to efilive, but before I can go any further, can someone please clear up what to do with the brown anaolog ground wire from the AFx?

Connect it to pin 1 of ext 1 (analog ground) of efilive handheld, OR connect it to same chassis ground I used for AFX controller (as directed in AFX manual) OR both? (ie run wire to handheld as well as have it jumpered to chassis ground?)

I think I simply run it to the handheld along with the yellow signal wire, but I don't understand why the AFX manual reads:

"When utilizing the analog output feature of the AFX, always be sure to connect the system ground (two black wires) to the same location as the analog SIGNAL GROUND (Brown wire). "

Can someone please clear up this simple issue for me. Enough AFX controllers are out there that somebody must know.

Thanks again.