Camper Towing?

I just bought a new camper and was looking for input on towing with my SS. The camper weighs 6000 pounds. I've been told the stock transmission in my truck may not stand up to it. I towed it home from the dealership about 40 miles from home around the mountains of Ky and Va and it seemed to do fine then. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

I just bought a new camper and was looking for input on towing with my SS. The camper weighs 6000 pounds. I've been told the stock transmission in my truck may not stand up to it. I towed it home from the dealership about 40 miles from home around the mountains of Ky and Va and it seemed to do fine then. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

i know ill get bashed by everyone on here, but i own mud trucks and tow my 6200lb k5 blazer on a 1300lb trailer about 2 weekends out of the month. and run it at the drag strip here and there. here is the worst part.. my truck as we speak has 221,783 miles on the dash on the FACTORY ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION. it has been regularly maintained, ive got the records, only things been done is a water pump and fuel pump and filter.. i bought it with 192k but came with the service records. i wouldnt hesitate to pull that camper

You're fine at that weight level. Main things to keep it alive. Do not put on a bigger set of wheels and tires. This will make everything worse. Installing an aftermarket transmission cooler will be a big help. Do a search on here and you'll see what is commonly used and easily installed. Other than that you can install a shift kit if you're really concerned. I would do a Corvette servo, boost valve, 4th gear billet servo, and recalibration of valve body. I would also work remove all torque management. It is commonly though that this helps the transmission and this is not the case. The real truth of is that this is the only way GM was is able to keep shifts soft. On the other hand 6000lbs towing carefully can be done in all stock form without any real issue's if you as I say use serious care. My mod suggestions are for your best shot at making it live if you do it frequently.

You should be fine, especially if you do any mods like zippy mentioned. 6k lbs is nothing for these trucks. As long as you keep up on the maintenace it'll be ok. I would highly recommend a good equalizer hitch if you don't already have one.

What kind of camper did you get? Post up some pics. I just bought a camper too, pics in the thread below.

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/topic/75358-pic-of-my-ss-from-last-weekend/

We got a 29' Wildcat Extralite by Forest River. It's got the upgraded package with tinted windows, super slide, alloy wheels, outdoor kitchen, electric awning, electric tongue jack, tankless water heater, leather upholstery and a flat screen tv with dvd. It's a brand new 2012 model and we got it for $10,000 under MSRP since it was in the off season. I feel like we got a great deal on it. You've got a great looking camper too. I'll have to get some pics and post them soon. I've been wanting to get pics of my new headlights and tail lights too. I bought all smoked lights for my truck.