408 update, tuning, and other

BenKey

A number of people have asked how the new motor is going, so....

Just rolled 145 miles on the truck today and everything is going pretty good with it.

I changed the oil at 110 miles (today)and nothing in that was unexpected, so that was good. I'll change filters at 800, 1500, 2200, then go with a synthetic oil filter and synthetic oil at 3000. This to try and keep it as clean as possible during break-in.

I have a little more valve train noise than I expected. In fact, some tapping going on. All in the valve train, just need to nail it down. I have double checked rocker tq specs and they are good. It appears to mostly come from the pass. side. When I did my build, the only thing I did was replace the lifters to a stock-type (I forget the brand name) lifter and kept the stock rockers. Now of course, I wish I had spent the extra money for something a little better (lifters). Not many choices out there, but I could have done better. Rockers may be the culprit also. Plan to switch sides on them and see if my noise moves. I may even experiment with some different length push rods (last ditch effort). If nothing I do helps, I plan to buy shaft mount adjustable rockers (Comp, Jesel, or Patriot) and Comp R lifters. I just need to learn more about preload and how to adjust for it. I hear it is a piece of cake. More to come on this. I planned on doing this in 6-9months later anyway, just may go for it now with some fresh new 921s, or like.

The tuning is going good. Got the overly rich condition taken care of and am now chasing it back the other way - just a little bit. Always put at least 20-25 miles on after an adjustment for ltrim values - lesson learned. Idle is where my biggest problem was, but that is really good now and continues to get better. I have been trying the tuning myself with a little tutoring here and there from various people. I know Allen would help me if I asked, but I haven't really asked very much from him. I am in no rush to get it there - yet.

Power for this motor, you can tell, is exceptional. I can only imagine what a 10.5 or 11:1 CR would be like with one of these. I am unable to do any hard starts yet, but I can drive like I want for the most part now. I am going to continue to tweak on it for pretty close to max power, just to see how capable it is NA. It feels almost a torqy as the Radix was on the old motor.

I need to remove my tranny pan and remove the beefier spring that I installed on my 3-4 solenoid, or whatever it is called, when I put in my shift kit. It's not letting my truck shift until I hit 60+. And no, it's not a tuning issue. I have driven around with a tech II similar device and you can see the PCM telling the tranny to shift. It just doesn't happen until 60. I talked to Joe about it in KS and I have my plan. It's no big deal really, just a hit on the gas mileage when driving in 45mph zones and not getting into overdrive.

So, all in all, couldn't be happier with my NA built motor. I know I'll get happier with my turbocharged built motor. :D

Sounds good Ben. Not too much longer on the break-in... :thumbs:

I was curious how the extra spring in the 3-4 accum would perform. Shouldn't be a problem to remove. Also, did you replace the plastic forward accum piston (not the 1-2) with metal one? Could also do that while in there.

Thanks for the update. :cheers:

Well, I have played around with my rockers by switching side to side. My valve train noise changes a little. So not really able to isolate one way or the other.

I went to my speed shop just a little while ago to talk a different rocker setup (adjustable) and they had a set of Comp Pro Magnum 1.75 ratio adjustable rockers that someone ordered and never picked up. I debated and debated and even made some calls to FMS, who built the cam, and have decided to get them. This will make my effective lift .591/.592 on my .575/.576 lift cam. My springs are rated for .640, or so. Not worried there. Figured springs are an annual replacement thing anyway, or every 15k miles, or so.

I think the problem has been compounded by the base circle difference in size. The exhaust is .015 smaller than the intake bc of 1.470. I may be wrong there.

They're going on this weekend.

Well, I have played around with my rockers by switching side to side. My valve train noise changes a little. So not really able to isolate one way or the other.

I went to my speed shop just a little while ago to talk a different rocker setup (adjustable) and they had a set of Comp Pro Magnum 1.75 ratio adjustable rockers that someone ordered and never picked up. I debated and debated and even made some calls to FMS, who built the cam, and have decided to get them. This will make my effective lift .591/.592 on my .575/.576 lift cam. My springs are rated for .640, or so. Not worried there. Figured springs are an annual replacement thing anyway, or every 15k miles, or so.

I think the problem has been compounded by the base circle difference in size. The exhaust is .015 smaller than the intake bc of 1.470. I may be wrong there.

They're going on this weekend.

I hope old Frannie didn't screw up your plans like she did mine.

Hurricanes! :rolleyes: Can't live with 'em, can't get insurance to pay for the damage.

Hurricanes! :rolleyes: Can't live with 'em, can't get insurance to pay for the damage.

We got a little wind where I'm at - that's about it. Did everything fare well with you and your family?

Hurricanes!  :rolleyes:  Can't live with 'em, can't get insurance to pay for the damage.

We got a little wind where I'm at - that's about it. Did everything fare well with you and your family?

Besides the cabin fever from being trapped in the house all weekend watching the news, we are all fine. Lost the rest of the fence, and a couple of trees, but less damage this time than from Charlie.

Archived