Truck Is Always Dead In The Morning

sonickoolten

i keep charging the battery and even have gotten like 3 new battery's from auto zone (all free cuz of warranty) and same thing every morning or like 1-2 days after not turning the vehicle on its dead. just wondering what the hell is going on with my truck?

i checked the alternator and its working fine.

Edited by 10zin (see edit history)

Zin your Alive!!! I have not seen you on here forever!

Sucks about your battery, IDK what to tell you but Im sure someone might have an answer

haha yea i havnt been much active on here. i do usually lurk once in a while :D. hows everything on ur end? truck still running good?

Something pulling power while its off, I've heard of the radio doing that I think.

i have a aftermarket nav. dont know how to check if its pullin power off that.

i had the same problem in my 01 silverado and autozone kept saying my alternator was fine but dad told me to change it so i did and it fixed it just a thought?dunno.gif

if im gonna do that in need a higher rated alternator and not the stock one..... i forgot what th rating was for the non stock one anyone know?

i think it has something to do with a parasitic draw...... looked it up online but i need to hook up a multi-meter and start pulling fuses.. and look into what system is drawing power.. it could also be my autostart/alarm system cuz its not working as it should it doesnt make any chirping noises anymore.... when i lock / unlock and i have no clue where my alarm is located cuz it already was on it when i bought it lol

Edited by 10zin (see edit history)

Try and verify this with a real expert but I think that it should be a safe test.

Back in the old days, (Before computer systems on cars), I would disconnect one battery cable, hook a multi-meter between the disconnected cable and it's battery post. If you have a drain on the system it will show on the meter. Now start disconnecting, (pulling), fuses one at a time till you find the circuit that is causing the drain. Re install each fuse that doesn't eliminate the drain as you go.

If you have an under hood light you will have to disconnect it. Make sure your doors are closed. (Dome light out). and any aftermarket accessories are off.

Good luck.

Try and verify this with a real expert but I think that it should be a safe test.

U

Back in the old days, (Before computer systems on cars), I would disconnect one battery cable, hook a multi-meter between the disconnected cable and it's battery post. If you have a drain on the system it will show on the meter. Now start disconnecting, (pulling), fuses one at a time till you find the circuit that is causing the drain. Re install each fuse that doesn't eliminate the drain as you go.

If you have an under hood light you will have to disconnect it. Make sure your doors are closed. (Dome light out). and any aftermarket accessories are off.

Good luck.

this

Not saying this is your problem for sure. but i had the very same thing happen to me. i replaced the alt and bat because it kept happening. took the truck to a starter shop and he ran a test on it. ended up being the ground wire that went from the battery to the block wasnt tight enough. its worth a try just tighten it up. also id check the wire thats one the back of the alt to just to make sure its tight. good luck chasing problems like this suck. if all else fails stop by a start/ generator shop and they could help you out. thats what i did and it was free.

Kool tnx guys ima start troubleshooting this 2moro since im off. sucks cuz i have been hookin up a charger to the bat over night just to make sure it doesnt die on me in the mornings lol.

if i cant figure it out ill just take it to a shop. inb4theyrapemywallet lol

Had this happen right before I sold my SS last year. Did what one of the above posters mentioned, pull a battery cable and hook up a multimeter. I actually just used a test light, it was shining bright, I pulled fuses until it went dim. Ended up being my power/heated seat fuse under the dash. The fuse panel is just left of the brake pedal. Must have been a short in the seat element. Ended up putting in a relay and used 12V directly from the battery to the seats that was only on when the key was turned on. Guy drove the truck 3 weeks and wrote it off lol.

Just saying, don't forget the pull the fuses from the panel "under" the dash.. I didn't even know it was there until this happened.

sometimes the bcm will have a brain fart and not switch off certain items that need to at shut off. some have found disconnecting the negative cable will reset it. some needed to be reflashed to correct it.. just one more issue to add to your list.. :laugh:

good luck..