Basic SSS Tuning

deezel

Descreening the MAF removes some restriction from the air intake. I cannot say that I have seen a significant performance gain from it. Its more of an increase in potential airflow as opposed to actual airflow.

Down-sides: it can mess up your MAF sensor readings and cause worse performance, it can cause you to run lean

I would not suggest this unless you have a way to monitor what is happening, like EFILive, Autotap, or other scanner software.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Descreening the MAF removes some restriction from the air intake.  I cannot say that I have seen a significant performance gain from it.  Its more of an increase in potential airflow as opposed to actual airflow.

Down-sides:  it can mess up your MAF sensor readings and cause worse performance, it can cause you to run lean

I would not suggest this unless you have a way to monitor what is happening, like EFILive, Autotap, or other scanner software.

I am interested in doing my own tuning, However I dont think this is something you learn just by reading about. Hands on experince is most likely the only way to do it. There is no one that I know of that does tuning up here in Anchorage. :banghead:

Does anyone know why some of us with the SAME TRUCKS, have two different IFR tables??

Some are linear (SSminneapolis)... others are non-linear. (mine)

What's different between the two trucks to allow the two different IFR tables to work correctly?

i had some issues getting the top end LTFT's down for some time. i tried to change the IFR table on the top end to try and account for it, but i had no luck. i would lower the top end values and the LFTF's would not change at all from where they were. so i went to tuning the VE table.

so, i have tried it...but didn't end up with any luck

Whoa! That sounds very rich.

you would think so, but everything is running great. maybe your IFR table didn't need as much change cause you are also modifying the MAF table as well.

i am still working through some different tuning approaches. i have been researching a lot and trying different thigns as i go...once i get my current configuration finished (or close to) i am going to start on another one. the next one is going to be very little IFR...more MAF and VE. along with some of the other value/tables that i haven't messed with yet. i am just trying to work my way through tuning as many ways as i can so i can trouble shoot down the road if need be.

Ryan, yes the MAF table change allowed me to use much less IFR change. I am setting the WOT fueling (PE table) based on wideband O2 readings. One comment - my fuel trims are more even between cells with the different MAF table.

Even if your fuel trims are really nice at part throttle, the WOT can still be pig rich. If you are tuning WOT fueling based on KR, I'm not sure what to tell you. I tried that for quite a while, but the false KR from the ASP pulley had me going in circles. Now with wideband I'm at 13.0-12.6AFR from 2500-4000+ respectively. My O2s read anywhere from 860-890 at WOT. No KR.

SSAlaska - I learned it all by reading and then testing stuff on my truck. Explains why I have flashed my PCM over 200 times... ;)

• 4 weeks later...
Just FYI, I have seen many tuners on the Edit mailing list suggest NOT setting shift timing to zero, as it has detrimentel effects.

I put mine back to stock after readign some of it.

Agreed. Setting the shift time to zero will cause the trans to shift (and break) faster. Also, should not be done unless trans modifications have been performed - shift kit and servos at minimum. The trans mods allow it to mechanically shift faster and come closer to meeting the programmed desired shift time. With a stock trans and zero shift time, the PCM will end up applying high line pressure most of the time and accelerate trans wear.

That being said - if you do have trans mods, and don't mind rebuilding the trans sooner than typical, there is nothing wrong with adjusting this setting. I personally like the firmer/faster shift from trans programming adjustments (AWD helps put this to the ground instead of frying tires). I don't quite like it as "teeth rattling" as zippy does, but there is a large gray area to work with on trans settings.

i just tested the 0 shift times last week. and...i put it back to stock. teeth rattling doesn't begin to explain that one. i do have them set at 0 for my tow.haul mode...so in the even that zippy is riding shot gun i can satisfy his shifting requirements..tow.haul is set a little more aggresive across the board..

Archived