Basic SSS Tuning

deezel

How much timing are you running?

Have you hooked up the wideband yet? Its really easy. Just delete the rear O2 sensors in the tune and take one out - replace it with the WB and start logging. I found it pretty easy to match up the LM-1 log to an EFI log - the abrupt AFR change when entering PE mode is a good marker. I still haven't tried plumbing the signal into EFI yet.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How much timing are you running?

Have you hooked up the wideband yet? Its really easy. Just delete the rear O2 sensors in the tune and take one out - replace it with the WB and start logging. I found it pretty easy to match up the LM-1 log to an EFI log - the abrupt AFR change when entering PE mode is a good marker. I still haven't tried plumbing the signal into EFI yet.

Nope, it's still in the car. I've been getting Timing Error #8 lately, so I need to call Innovate.

The timing table in the truck now, is a modified table out of the Mallett. It has 26* up top, but I will have to check for sure.

I tied the Wideband in through the A/C pressure sensor in the car, and I will probably do the same in the truck. The problem I ran into trying to match the data up, was different sampling rates. Runing the signal through the PCM, creates a perfect match up of the data. :thumbs:

Nobody else wants to share any tuning info...  ?  :wtf:

:rolleyes:  :seeya:

Sorry guys, I've been slammed at work (which is when I ussually post :D ).

My tune is: UPDATED 10/29

Engine stuff:

Timing (high octane == low octane) -- still 17* but had to pull some at the top end to accomodate more boost

IAT Add = moved the pull timing section up to 140* (and will be pushing it higher if I don't move the IAT sensor to downstream of the meth injector)

AFR add = 0

IFR = 5.52 (44lb injectors)

MAF = eliminated

VE = Speed density tuned

Calc Airflow = stock * 1.7

delta airflow = stock * 3

PE = a little rich across the boards -- needs more tuning

PE Map enable = 58 KPA

PE Delay RPM = 2800

PE TPS enable = 50%

Boost KR Delta air enable = stock * 3

KR decay = stock * 8

Closed loop proportional airflow mode (moving) = stock until tune is final

Closed loop prop 02 error (moving) = stock until tune is final

CLP airflow mode (idle) = stock until tune is final

CLP 02 error (idle) = stock until tune is final

TM = 0

Shift rpms = 6000

tweaked TCC apply/release and in tow mode apply = shift mph+ 1

shift times all 0.00

Tranny stuff:

line pressure = stock

shift timings = 0

TM = 0

• 3 weeks later...

EDITED to reflect current tuning...

Timing: 27-28* at WOT, in the 72-80 g/cyl range. Lower rpm / g/cyl hole filled in.

Tweaks throughout. 1-2* more under 3K. 3K and above extensively modded.

TM: "Plateaued" to limit torque on the shifts at 300ft/lbs for the 1-2 shift, and 350ft/lbs for the 2-3 shift. Everything else removed.

Shifting: Modded to keep the tach hovering around 2,000rpm with anything more than very light throttle. TCC llocks/unlocks bumped up about 5-7mph. Changed downshift responsiveness - less throttle needed for a kickdown. Shifting is VERY responsive.

VE: I've been working on tuning via the LTFT histogram data. SOTP it feels better, but I'm still up in the air.

IFR and VE: Non linear IFR. Both tables scaled down 94.5%... 890-920 for 02 voltages at WOT.

here are a few changes that i have made to my program...

IFR: 2.93

PE: 1.31 @ WOT

MAF: Stock

VE: 1600-6400rpm [70 kPa and above, changes were roughly +3% to 4%)

High Octane Timing: 25-28 at WOT [still working on this one]

Transmission: just about the same as everyone else with shift kit and such. shifts into 4th real nice somewhere near 120mph...

Does anyone know why some of us with the SAME TRUCKS, have two different IFR tables??

Some are linear (SSminneapolis)... others are non-linear. (mine)

What's different between the two trucks to allow the two different IFR tables to work correctly?

Does anyone know why some of us with the SAME TRUCKS, have two different IFR tables??

What's different between the two trucks to allow the two different IFR tables to work correctly?

I've been told this has something to do with a fuel regulator??

here are a few changes that i have made to my program...

IFR: 2.93

PE: 1.31 @ WOT

MAF: Stock

VE: 1600-6400rpm [70 kPa and above, changes were roughly +3% to 4%)

High Octane Timing: 25-28 at WOT [still working on this one]

Transmission: just about the same as everyone else with shift kit and such. shifts into 4th real nice somewhere near 120mph...

Whoa! That sounds very rich.

My IFR is currently 3.08 with PE around 1.15 up top. But, this is with an '02 MAF table, which is slightly richer by about 3-5%. I'm using that MAF table b/c I descreened the sensor. Timing 26-28* with no KR.

I need to test that WOT 4th shift some time, too. :D

I think its because they changed to returnless fuel system for '04 with no regulator on the fuel rail. The in-tank design is a fixed-pressure setup, so the injectors are scaled for less flow at low loads. With a vacuum-referenced regulator on the rail like the '03's, the fuel pressure changes with load.

Let's see if we can get some feedback on good tuning improvements for stock and mildly modded SSS's.  I'll start...

MODS:  CAI, descreened MAF, e-fans, gutless cats, holey muffler, shift kit/servo, and tuning

TUNE: (currently using LS1Edit) 

Timing:  25-27* at WOT, no KR

Fuel:  adjusted IFR for negative fuel trims, leaned out PE by same amount then added 1% back, wideband shows AFR12.3-12.6 at WOT

Torque Management:  all gone

Transmission:  increased WOT shift points to 5800, increased part throttle line pressure, reduced shift times

What benefits is any have you seen from descreening you MAF? What are the downsides if any to descreening?

Archived