HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!!

Dylan06SS

_39114022_brown_dodd203.jpg

Thats so thoughtful schmidty77..... you knew exactly what I wanted! :cheers:

So.... on a sadder note..... let me start by saying: WORST BIRTHDAY EVER!!! :fume:

This is gonna be long so I apologise:

Dropped the truck off at the dealer yesterday for a slight "clunk" coming thru the steering colum.... shoulda been a 1 day fix.

Fastforward to today (my b-day) when I show up to get my truck at 7:30am ITS NOT READY!!! Why you might ask.... :confused: well the dealer "accidentally" ( :rolleyes: ) performed the steering service work for my truck on a regular extended cab silverado. To top that off they rotated my tires and changed the oil in my truck (the work that should've been done on the other truck!) When I asked the service manager if they had at least used Mobil1 he had a scared look on his face. He checked the work order and SURPRISE it was some low grade conventional oil!!! :fume:

So they offer me a rental.... which I declined on the condition it would be done by the time I got off work (yes... to make this worse I had to work on my b-day) :shakehead:

Fastforward to 4:30...... the oil is to have been flushed from my system and replaced w/ Mobil1, the steering colum issue is to be resolved, and the tire rotation and oil are free of charge (woo hoo! <--- sarcasm)

I get to the service department and see my truck in the back getting a half assed rub down w/ rags by two (excuse my french) dumb teenage fahkers! I had expressly told the service manager I didn't want his minimum wage flunkies washing my truck. I spend to much time keeping swirl marks out of the paint to let to pre-pubesent dip-sh*ts put swirls in! :fume: We start doing the final inspection on the truck to make sure everything is OK. Appearance good (but its gonna need a new coat of wax) Oil is good, tires rotated (bonus) I jump in to start it and test the steering and . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

THE WHEEL WILL NOT TURN EITHER DIRECTION!!! :fume::fume::fume::fume::fume:

At this point I'm about 2 seconds away from killing everyone in the service department! Whoever they had service the colum fahked something up royally and now I have no steering at all! After using the "F" word to describe the service manager, his employees, their mothers, and everyone else I could think of I decided that I would just take a rental and send a lengthy letter to GM about the performance of the dealer.

Thinking that I would get a comparable vehicle (SUV or pickup) I was content just to get home to my wife so we could go out to dinner for my final birthday celebration. Then the next stop on this comedy of errors..... the dealers partner that handles rentals and loaners (Enterprise) is OUT OF VEHICLES!!! (does anyone else see a pattern developing here?) After 45 minutes they are able to track down a white Astro van w/ a huge dent in the passenger door for me to use till I get the SS back . . . . . at that point I just wanted to curl up into the fetal position and cry :cry:

The night continues w/ my wife not getting home from work untill late so I sat at home.... had a couple of beers and a microwave dinner :( and here I am.

Whats next? Do I get hit by lightning? Geez.... someone up there didn't like me today.

So... this has been without a doubt the worst birthday ever! If you all will excuse me I have to go out back and hang myself now. :sick:

Thanks for the well wishes... maybe next year I will just stay in bed.

sorry to hear that man, i've never heard of anyone f'ing up the steering shaft install bad enough to have that happen. someone needs to get fired for sure. especially not testing it before you go there. :fume:

sorry to hear that man, i've never heard of anyone f'ing up the steering shaft install bad enough to have that happen. someone needs to get fired for sure. especially not testing it before you go there. :fume:

Trust me... when I'm done some people will be headed for the unemployment line. My theory is that they didn't have a chance to test it b/c they were in a rush to get it done. I also think they don't have a clue what the problem is and they've made it worse... so rather than confess they are trying to fix it before I figure it out. Either way, if its not done by tomorrow I will be getting it towed to a "professional" at the dealers expense.

Hey Man, Sorry to hear about your Birthday. That shits rough man. I prob. would have throat slammed the service manager. Then gone to his house and taken his wife for a test drive. :jester: But thats just me, Some people say I have a temper/attitude problem. But look at it this way, Plan a big party Friday night, You can booze it up, Marvel at your SS, And maybe sneek out to the strip bar. :cheers::flag:

UPDATE:

Got the truck back today along w/ some serious apologies from everyone in the service department. Did I mention that the owner of this particular dealership is a very close personal freind of my dads???? :P That'll show them flunkies to mess w/ me! :D

Needless to say the truck was fixed, the service manager was extremely sorry, a service tech is now on his way back to GM Goodwrench training to brush up on his steering repair skills and I got a $250 Mobil gas gift certificate :D

Didn't entirely make up for my sh*tty birthday, but it did make me feel alot better to get my baby back.

BTW: the problem turned out to be the steering colum itself. apparently the splines were completely stripped and the gouge in the colum was what caused the steering to lock up. So, my entire steering colum is new... I asked them if they had seen this before on any other silverados and they said yes..... :shakehead: Just a heads up for anyone experiencing a "CLUNK" thru the steering wheel.

I would interested to hear what the exact issue was or if you had photos. I for one have never heard of this issue. When we install the steering wheel to the column there is a series of splines and then a key-way. This key-way helps the operator line up the steering wheel. If we, the Plant, are causing some other damage I need to know so that I can put in an issue concern and start some of the design engineers to look at something different.

I am going to pull warranty data too, so that I can see how many reports there are of this issue.

Thanks for the heads up!!

:chevy:

:thumbs:

I would interested to hear what the exact issue was or if you had photos. I for one have never heard of this issue. When we install the steering wheel to the column there is a series of splines and then a key-way. This key-way helps the operator line up the steering wheel. If we, the Plant, are causing some other damage I need to know so that I can put in an issue concern and start some of the design engineers to look at something different.

I am going to pull warranty data too, so that I can see how many reports there are of this issue.

Thanks for the heads up!!

I actually can get you those pics... I took the colum back to my office. I told the service manager I wanted to let you guys know about the issue and he let me keep it. Looks pretty stripped, but I was thinking..... theres really no way to prove that was the initial problem. May have been something else originally, but when they let the guy who f'd up my truck work on it he may have actually caused the damage... either way at least I got my truck back.

I'll get you those pics as soon as I have a chance. :thumbs:

Thanks.

Kinda my idea when I asked for the pics. Even if it isn't us in the manufacturing side, maybe the design can be improved to stop that condition. Not promising anything but you never know till you ask. If there is enough warranty data and it looks like it could fix the situation then they will look at it.

Archived