Supercharged 408 Stroker

MID12sSSS

My 2003 SSS threw a rod through the side of my block last night... It has a LQ9 6.0L HO with a GT2-3 comp cam, twin screw Magnacharger set up with a smaller pulley, 90mm J-Tube with 90mm C6 Corvette throttle body, Stainless steel Long Tube Headers, Corsa sport exhaust,Shift kit, 2800 stall converter, methanol injection, Zippy tune, and some other goodies, Running mid 12s 1/4 mi... It has 112,xxx miles on it, so i guess it was about at the end of its life. So my question is, NOW WHAT?

Co-workers are saying put a 7.0L in it, but thats spendy and i already have all the bolt-ons for a LQ9 block, so i was thinking of finding a used block, having it bored out, and build a 408 stroker. Then i have the exhaust that bolts right up, the Supercharger, and everything that fits the block. But will the current transmission and differentials hold up to 700hp? Maybe i should just buy a long block and set it up the way i had it. The Remanufactured Long block is $4200 plus the gaskets, water pump, fluids.... Itd probably be cheaper to go with the 408, and maybe all ill need is a tune. Or am i going the wrong direction entirely? Just thought id get an idea of what the Forum has to say. Id just like to get it up and running ASAP and not spend over $5,000 doing it. Once i pull the motor, ill post pics of the exploded block, and post pics of the new build once I have an idea what direction to take. Thanks for all your help.

post-24147-0-63116700-1337649039_thumb.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll need a bigger blower if you stick with the radix....you'll probably be pushing 4 maybe 5 psi if your lucky.

AH. Good thinking. I really enjoyed the power of a boosted 6.0L. Ill probably go with something like this. That way i have the same performance as before, with a more stout, and reliable block. But ill most likely order it as a long block with stock or mildly ported heads, then slap my old set up right on top. Any recommendations of anything else i should change or beef up during my rebuild?

370 Cubic Inch LQ9 Short Block (Boost)

lq9_small.gif

GM LQ9 Iron Block

Diamond Pistons (-13.7cc)

Diamond Plasma Moly Rings

Eagle H Beam Rods

Clevite Main / Rod Bearings

Machined and Assembled $3,399 - no core charges!

Call for Long Block Packages

370 would be good but a 408 would be best. just cause your blower will only make 4-5 psi on a 408 doesnt mean that its less power. you will be making the same if not more power on 4-5 psi on the 408 as your making now if not more + you have tons of room to grow. so dont let that scare you from a 408. boost is just a measurement of restriction. when i put my lsxrt intake on i lost 2 psi , do you think i took the intake off ??? lol hell no !!

370 would be good but a 408 would be best. just cause your blower will only make 4-5 psi on a 408 doesnt mean that its less power. you will be making the same if not more power on 4-5 psi on the 408 as your making now if not more + you have tons of room to grow. so dont let that scare you from a 408. boost is just a measurement of restriction. when i put my lsxrt intake on i lost 2 psi , do you think i took the intake off ??? lol hell no !!

Yeah. Itd be nice to have the big "408" under the hood, and i know that if there was any time to do it, itd be now while it needs a motor anyway, im just not sure if my current drivetrain will handle 700hp, or what ill need to make it handle it. Plus, it's back to square 1 with the tuning. Haha. Ill keep zippy busy for awhile... Lots of thinking to do... Thanks for the replies and keep them coming. I need someone to persuade me into a motor choice.

408 Cubic Inch LQ9 Short Block

lq9_small.gif

GM LQ9 Iron Block

Diamond Pistons

Compstar Crank & Rods

Clevite Main / Rod Bearings

Durabond Cam Bearings

Machined and Assembled $4,999 - no core charges!

???????

So if I were to go with a Stock iron LQ9 block, with a 4.00" crank, that'll put me at 408ci. And I will without a doubt be using forged internals (H-beam rods, forged pistons etc) Then I can reuse my current cam and springs, full exhaust, supercharger package (fuel injectors, j-tube, throttle body etc) And I'll have myself a pretty affordable build. But should I go with dished pistons for boost with my smaller pulley? Or will I be fine with flat tops? Don't want any preignition from too high of compression ratios... I also have plans to beef the timing chain, and try a couple tricks to help out the oil pump. I'm just hoping this won't be a tuning nightmare, as I don't do the tuning myself. I leave that to Nelson performance, my buddy Tony with his HP tuner, and Zippy for the minute tweaks (since he is a prodigy)... Well it sounds like a Supercharged 408 with forged internals will be the plan. I just need some help from the elite members picking out some specifics... Thanks again for everyone's input. And if you know of a built Longblock or a Shortblock for sale, let me know. I have already seen BlownFoggers blocks in the for sale section. That 402 looks like a great block. Maybe I can talk him into building me a Longblock. Haha. He definitely knows what he's doing and that'd save me a lot of time. I am eager to get the SSS up and running again. Summer is only so long up here in Alaska. Haha about 4 months out of the year there isn't snow. So the sooner I can get it moving the better.

And the question still stands if my drivetrain will be able to handle it...

No. You will need a built trans, a larger trans cooler if you dont already have one, I would get a scatter shield for safety, and you might want to beef up the diffs.

A 408 is a 4.030" bore (depending on your actual bore size a .030 overbore) with a 4.0" stroke crank and a 6.125 rod. Now depending on what way you go with heads something between -12 to a -20cc dish piston would be on the right track. Keeping the compression ratio around 8.7:1 to 9.5:1 would be ideal and the higher the cr would be better for power with the undersized blower on top of it. And if you decide to get a larger supercharger you will be already built for it. One of the biggest things if you keep the maggie on it will be heat. Heat causes detonation and detonation causes bad things as you found out. You will be out of the efficiency range of the maggie which creates more bad than good. Yes you will still have boost, but all that heat soak will kill power.

As for transmission work, beef it up!

Yeah. Ive got, or should i say "had" meth injection on my current set up. Worked great. My plan now is to go with something along the lines of this forged 370 longblock and boost the hell out of it (12-14psi or so) Easy 700hp. I was right around 605hp with the set-up i had. Want a similar build but make it bulletproof. I was seriously considering the 408, but to make that much c.i.d run efficiently, id need atleast a 2.8l blower, beef the trans again, the rear end, etc... and thats more money. Didnt wanna spend 14k on the 408 build. The 370 will be more of what im looking for, but its still around $9500 with shipping.... $$$ Haha again, if anyone knows of a affordable built LQ9 around 370cid, let me know. :thumbs:

370cid LQ9 Longblock

Diamond 4.03" -15cc Dish pistons

Diamond total seal ring set w/ steel top ring

Callies compstar 6.125" h-beam rods

Durabond camshaft bearings

ACL main and rod bearings

Steel Valves & PRC Dual Valve Spring Kit with Titanium Retainers

TSP Hardened Chromemoly Pushrods

GM LS7 Roller Lifter Set

TSP Ported LS6 Oil Pump

K1 technologies forged crank

ARP Main stud kit

PRC stage 3.0 LQ9 72cc heads

Cometic .051" head gaskets

ARP 12-pt. Head stud kit

Cam???

Okay for the price i think... any suggestions?