Supercharged 408 Stroker

MID12sSSS

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the maggie is a fan not a compressor...it will blow the same amount of air but it will be hotter. I know you have the maggie but I would consider ditching it and going all out N/A 408 and use the blower to offset the cost...give you time to get the motor back in and running, then you can decide if you want more. We already know what the radix is good for, and trying to make it fit a stroker is hittin g your head into the wall, or the wall of high IAT's :)

the maggie is a fan not a compressor...it will blow the same amount of air but it will be hotter. I know you have the maggie but I would consider ditching it and going all out N/A 408 and use the blower to offset the cost...give you time to get the motor back in and running, then you can decide if you want more. We already know what the radix is good for, and trying to make it fit a stroker is hittin g your head into the wall, or the wall of high IAT's :)

Haha agreed. I sent Krambo a PM and we've been discussing it. The radix on a 408 would be a deadly combination. Looking at building a forged 370, stout enough for lots of boost. Ive been torn between the NA 408 or a blown 370 for some time.. Even back on page 1 of this thread there was some controversy on which to choose.

Didn't see it answered or mentioned in a previous post but while you have it apart and if you have the funds, I'd be thinking about a built transmission or swap to an 80.

And yes, getting some kevlar put into the ol' trans and possibly ditching the TB torque converter for something a little different, but its been good to me so far.

so I dont get forged 370's and a 112 blower? Seems like you get right back to fighting IATs with being able to throw more boost at it? I would love to see one of Ray's spacers on a maxed out 112 and see how much it helps.

You are looking at so many variables that they could all have an effect....and tuning is going to play a BIG part, you can still destory a forged motor if your tuning is poor.

What is the cost difference if you look at selling the radix and going NA 408? and most report that the results between the two are similar bout 13sec? I know Brad could chime in on how with good flowing heads and that extra displacement you have IMO more left on the table than a max'd out radix. does that make since? I think it was Zippy who advised me to shoot for 80%max on stuff to not risk relaiability. So easy ex would be 1000hp build and run 800 so you are not breaking stuff and you dont have that margin if you are spinning the piss out of a undersized blower (why turbos are cool).

So am i going to get high IATs with whatever i throw the 112 blower on? They're meant for stock to mildly modified motors, correct? I was wanting something along the lines of the motor i had, only forged internals so it lasts. And if i drop compression to a 9.0:1, i should be okay right? I also have a meth set up, but id like to use it for power, not to compensate for a bad build or incorrect tune. I had no problems fighting IATs on my last set up. Maybe you can enlighten me. I am kinda new at the engine building thing. Been a mechanic my whole life, but just starting to see the machinists and tuners point of view with my SSS build.

Do not go with a 9:1 compression unless you have plans in the near future to fun a TVS 2300 and boost the piss out of it. It will not be that strong unless you are in boost. I'm in the process of building a 383 stroker and I am going to re utilize my MP112. With 64cc heads, .054 Thick gaskets and -8cc pistons I will be at about 10.3:1. And with a 2.8 pulley, LS2 Throttle body and a 90mm j-tube I am hoping to get about 8 psi. Truck should be sitting about 600 to the wheels and over 500 torque at about 2800 all the way up to red line. I also plan on running meth but just to get the IAT temps down.

So will i be able to do the same? Drop compression from 10.5 to 10.3, run the same spec bore, crank and rods as stock, just go forged? I loved the set up i had, the stock internals were just too aged and weak to hold-up. I too was at an estimated 600hp with the 112 at 8-10psi and never battled IATs. Thanks a lot for chiming in btw. Helps a lot.

The valves on my LQ9 heads were beat up pretty bad when that piston cam apart. I was thinking a head/cam package from TSP. Just let them know i want 10:1 and they'll do the math for the heads? Or do you have another recommendation? I know a lot of people have good luck with 243 or 799, which is what krambo recommended.

I will be running a set of ported 799 heads with thunder racing blower cam (214/230 .601.579 117lsa). Remember 799's or 243's have a smaller combustion chamber than your 317's. 64cc's to be exact.

You can find a compression calculator on google to figure it all out.

The cam was recommended by Zippy. If you have questions call AES and talked to Brain. Let him know Steve sent you. Those guys know what they are talking about and are building my engine for 2k less than what TSP wanted. And he spent on hour on the phone with me discussing all my options. Their engine is in one of the fastest Fb bodies out there pushing about 2000hp.

http://www.aesracing.net/index.html