Do i win Dumb A** of the month award?

SSenvy

Well, i degreased my engine 3-4 weeks ago, since it was filthy from when i bought it. I used caution ( or atleast i thought i did ) Not being over excessive with water on the motor, only using what was needed to rinse off the degreaser. 2 days ago CEL popped up. Came up as PO332, which is Knock sensor, circuit low Input Bank 2.

I cleared the code, it came back within 45 mins of driving, so i knew it wasnt just going to go away.... damn lol. I seem to Remember matt on the forum having this same problem, from washing his engine... and let me tell you, this is a spendy cleaning...

They replaced both Knock sensors, and of course the gasket for intake, and charged me 4.5 hours labor..... 735 dollars later, ive got a sparkly clean engine.

BE carefull when washing your engine, apparently, the water just sits on the top of the motor, runs down, and sits on top of the sensor, and shorts them out ( good chance anyway) its prolly well known by now, but i didnt know. When i told the mechanic my code, his first response was.... you didnt wash your engine you did you ? lol.... as a matter of fact.... :cool:

Im really trying to laugh this F**k up off, but this really hurt the finances... oh well.

I know there a lot of do it your selfers out there, but i just dont have time to pull a portion of the top of motor off, so im stuck getting bent over at the stealership.

Off to the beer store......... :cry:

Damn that sucks. I wash mine with a rag and cleaner only never use water. The old school engines you could do that but now with all the electronics no way I would. For you guys thinking of doing this just use some sort of cleaner on a rag and use old school muscle.

Had the same exact same thing happen to my rear knock sensor when I washed mine, there's a tsb about it, infact. Except I was kiinda hoping it would take my knock sensors out so I squirted in that general vicinity really hard. Gave me an excuse to install my first cam as well.

Damn that sucks. I wash mine with a rag and cleaner only never use water. The old school engines you could do that but now with all the electronics no way I would. For you guys thinking of doing this just use some sort of cleaner on a rag and use old school muscle.

Exactly what I do, just use a damp cloth with GP soap.

post-19193-0-49650400-1338000660_thumb.jpg

Yeah, theres no garuntee if you wash your engine with water its going to Mess your knock sensors up, but why risk it? Unless you've got either 700 extra dollars you want to throw away, or 200 dollars in parts, and 6 hours labor by doing it yourself, i wouldnt chance it. If you Punch in Knock sensor failure for silverados, 90% of them is from washing the engine.

At car washes here, they have an engine compartment spray where it is a very light mist and works well. Used it on my truck but I get better results doing it by hand.

You guys using the power washer, have any rust showing up?