2003 ss silverado has a rattle in engine.

chrisprater

just bought my silverado ss last week. When i run the truck and it gets warmed up, you can hear a loud rattle when you punch the truck. Its not a knock but more of a fast rattle. The local garage told me it was prob a rod bearing. It happens at about 3k rpm when its warmed up and if you really punch it its more obvious. Normal driving, you don't hear it. also when its cold you don't hear it as much. The truck has 69k miles on it and its a 2003 awd. it doesn't seem to have lost any power and oil pressure is staying good. Any advice?

Thanks,

Chris

yes run 93 octane. its not a tick like a lifter, more of a rattle like an old exhaust held wide open with a big hole in the muffler. the tech said he could feel it in the oil pan. i have not tried to feel it. its still at the shop.

Feel it in the oilpan? What was he using to "feel" it with? I doubt it's the bottom end, but stranger things have happened I'm sure. I'd start by pulling the valve covers and checking the rocker trunions and valve springs.

Edited by No SS (see edit history)

i just changed my oil, when i started it up with the fresh oil for the 1st time. you could hear the knock really clearly for a couple seconds. Then i guess the oil pump pumped oil into it and quietened it down a little. Do you guys think i will have any crank problems or any major problems taht will require machining? i mean the trucks oil pressure is fine, it actually runs fine and doesn't seem to have lost any power. it just knocks at 2500 rpm.

Thanks,

Chris PRater