guess no one wanted to hear how one of our trucks landspeed race

garrell.770

These trucks even though heavy do an excellant job at landspeed racing and if not for the wind would have ran over 135 mph in a standing mile with no headers, cam change, stock heads and intake. I was not tacked out at 133.869 mph if I had been running 1 1/2 miles with a god wind maybe 137 mph, at Bonneville with an intake change, electric fans and headers 140 mph?

Garrell Paterson

i read the whole story in the other thread. very very cool. and to hear about everything you had to overcome its just amazing. im keeping a eye out for your post and look forward to frequent updates about this. i like that its a kind of racing you never hear much about. now lets see what you can do aero dynamic wise, like KISSFAN said and it will surely have a big impact on the next number. :thumbs:

A deep front chin spoiler that would mount up behind the back of the front bumper could add 1/2 to 1 mph, it would have to be something available as an option on a SS or just a Silverado in case someone questioned it. Lowering the truck 2or 3" in the front would make a big change. When you have made all of the big changes you are allowed then you have to start with every litle change you can and they add up. I run in C/PP or C for the engine desgnation and PP for production pickup. I first ran in Maxton, NC. ON THE Maxton Mile and the first run I made was around 121.6 mph and that was with a cai and a Maxenergy programmer. Before the weekend was over I had folded the mirrors back and put 48 lbs. of air in each tire and ran 125,76 mph. It was 42 degrees at Ohio with a sustained wind of 25 mph and gust of 33 mph and damp as well, my guys had been exposed to the elements from about 6:00 am and I told them we would do the best we could without the air in the tires.

I truly believe that if the wind had not been blowing the way it was or if we had a little tail wind and the air in the tires with an air dam or spoiler I could have ran 137 mph. I think at Bonneville where you have a running start and you have 4 miles to get up to speed and with the last modifications I had performed and you had a programmer to alow the 4l60 to shift into overdrive maybe 150 mph in a 5800 lb. loaded aerodynamic brick, not bad?

• 4 weeks later...

Running those speeds I'm assuming you either have a taller than stock tire or you are going into overdrive at wide open. Headers will help quite a bit along with the intake and fans. With running the truck wide open for that long I'd say tuning, octane of the fuel, and spark plug choice will be very important. You'll create alot of heat by the time you get past 120.

Still run 20" tall tires,Ihave installed 1:8 to 1 ratio full roller tip Crane rockers, bee-hive valve springs and .100 thickness 3/8" pushrods as a precautionary thing. Ported throttle body, Volant cai, custom hp tuneup, and remote controll Dougs Headers cutouts.

Checkout article starting on page 104 of this months HotRod magazine top left carner and then on the top two columns of the oposite page 105.

Made the decision last night to go back one more time to run 137 if the wind will be good and claim two more records.

Garrell