over 8000rpm on the dyno today

shadowsniper3006

I still have to look into what is wrong with the truck and why this happened but figured you'll never see this again so I'll post it. When i was at the track yesterday on the last pass it never shifted into third or it did shift and then blew through the trans. I was hoping it was a one time thing and took it out the dyno compition i was scheduled to run at. I adjusted the trans and lock up for the dyno in the tune and hit the rollers. I tried twice but could never go to 100% tps with out it either coming out of lock up or blowing through 3rd gear, I'm not sure which yet, but thinking third gear. each time i was in third and had the converter locked when i slowly brought it up in tps, and each time it didn't hold. The last time the truck made it to 8056rpm before it shut off. On the first time you can see the truck come out of lock so fast it blew through the ETC and fuel cutoff before it caught it and brought it down to the limit of 7350.

dyno.jpg

BTW it made 461 to the rears before it let loose, good enough for second place, at least when i left

bad news.hpl

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

Check your 3-4 TCC apply and release tables along with your 3-4 upshift and downshift tables. If the 4th apply isn't higher than the 3rd release table it will try to choose which gear to stay in same as in the up/downshift tables. Either that or there is something going on in the trans or converter.

Nice pull BTW!

I have a Excell doc for EFI Live that you plug your tables in and it charts it out so you can visually see where your shift points are and the apply and release of the TC.

Switching from a BMW that has rpms on the tach that redlined at 8-9000rpms I thought was something impressive, but when I switched to the truck and only saw 6000rpms I was suprised.

That is awesome and BA you got your truck up past 8000. I dont know much about the exact mechanical part, but wow. Ive only redlined once in the truck and I thought the stock engine was going to blow through the hood or the front diff and tranny were going to grenade. Congrats on the rpms and hope you get the other mecahanical situation figured out soon sir!

i did the tune update fast in the parking lot of the dyno/car show but i just went through it again:

i think i found the mistake, I set the WOT shift speed for 3-4 at 256 so it would not shift to 4th, but i set the 3-2 down shift at 256 as well thinking it would stop it but really it means it WILL down shift to second at anything below 256......right?

The TCC release for 3rd gear at 93-100% tps does need to be set to 256 right, so it will NOT release at anything below 256mph, right?

So if i read what i did, the truck stayed in lock up but down shifted to second gear at 91 mph with 28" tall tires and 4.56 gears

this would explain why nothing changed when a i used the manual controles to lock the converter but never locked it in third gear.

i put my foot into the truck twice since this just up to the 2-3 shift point(6800 on the street) and everything seems fine now, so it doesn't explain the missed shift at the track when i had already ran the same tune 3 times before that pass.

And to top it off i got 4th place in the dyno compition. Lost to a ls7 427 that put down 568 and two 416 ls3's, one 416 was at like 520 and the other was 471. But at least the truck drove home

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

i did the tune update fast in the parking lot of the dyno/car show but i just went through it again:

i think i found the mistake, I set the WOT shift speed for 3-4 at 256 so it would not shift to 4th, but i set the 3-2 down shift at 256 as well thinking it would stop it but really it means it WILL down shift to second at anything below 256......right?

What were the RPM shift points for the same?

The TCC release for 3rd gear at 93-100% tps does need to be set to 256 right, so it will NOT release at anything below 256mph, right?

Yes. I typically go a few colums lower than the 100%TPS column to ensure it does though.

So if i read what i did, the truck stayed in lock up but down shifted to second gear at 91 mph with 28" tall tires and 4.56 gears

this would explain why nothing changed when a i used the manual controles to lock the converter but never locked it in third gear.

i put my foot into the truck twice since this just up to the 2-3 shift point(6800 on the street) and everything seems fine now, so it doesn't explain the missed shift at the track when i had already ran the same tune 3 times before that pass.

And to top it off i got 4th place in the dyno compition. Lost to a ls7 427 that put down 568 and two 416 ls3's, one 416 was at like 520 and the other was 471. But at least the truck drove home

Another question, were you in "D" or were you in another gear on the selector?

Awesome RPMs man. Must have really "sung" at those levels. I am more impressed with the way your 65E ahs been holding up to your thrashing on the dyno and the track. RPMs are very hard on the pump and I think you have tested better than anyone on this board anyway.

I went through my trans tables a few weeks ago and used the excell sheet to plot out the shifts etc. I did notice that my 2-3 was very close to each other and upped my 3 upshift tables. I did have a intermittent long shift there and I have't had one since I re did the shift tables. I believe that if the conditions were close or like I mentioned above where the tables cross each other then the computer will guess on which gear to be in. It might guess to upshift 99% of the time then one time it will try to stay in that gear.

Hopefully your new findings are what happened and can't wait to see what you have when it's all figured out.

What were the RPM shift points for the same?

both 2nd and 3rd are set at 7200 for racing. They are the same because 1st gear really should be around 7500-7600 or so

Yes. I typically go a few colums lower than the 100%TPS column to ensure it does though.

Another question, were you in "D" or were you in another gear on the selector?

i was in 3rd so it should never go into 4th, but i always lock out 4th gear in the tune anyway, incase i get excited and put it in 4th on the rollers....i get like buck fever on the dyno, lol.

Awesome RPMs man. Must have really "sung" at those levels. I am more impressed with the way your 65E ahs been holding up to your thrashing on the dyno and the track. RPMs are very hard on the pump and I think you have tested better than anyone on this board anyway.

well i never really wanted to test rpm, but i made some bad calls when i built it so now rpms are what i got. I'll see if my friend had a video of the truck, i think he, and all the guys running the dyno, jumped 3 feet high when it down shifted.