Picked Up A New Project

diggerdan11

So I have been wanting to restore and old chevy pickup for a long time now but have just never started. My dad and I were looking for a project truck we could work on together, we originally were looking at a 49-56 Chevy pickup to restore but could never find one that was not either too expensive and partially restored or one that was just a pile of rust.

So on Thursday I just happened to look at craigslist and I found a guy selling a 1969 Chevy C/20 2wd with a re-built 350, went to go check it out and decided I have to have it. The re-built 350 and tranny alone are worth twice what we paid for it, and its got a brand new set of 20" wheels and tires that cost almost as much as we paid. It runs and drives like a champ, and the body is very straight. It just needs simple things like interior panels, grill, trim and of course a new paint job. the only thing I dont car for about it is the long bed, but I can get over it. it has factory AC but the compressor is missing so Im not sure if we will replace it.

Im so excited to start working on it. Here are some pics, what do you guys thing?

2012-06-29_17-36-54_401.jpg

2012-06-29_17-38-09_270.jpg

2012-06-29_17-40-22_210.jpg

2012-06-29_17-47-04_514.jpg

The Engine (IDK why they painted it Ford blue, but I can change that)

2012-06-29_17-39-41_551.jpg

2012-06-29_17-39-54_917.jpg

The interior (were going to do all black)

2012-06-29_17-36-32_343.jpg

2012-06-29_17-41-06_124.jpg

Looks like a great place to start! I have always loves the 67-72 C-10/20 trucks. What are your plans as far as colors and suspension? They make short bed conversions for them, depending on your skills. You "Z" cut the frame and cut the bed sides and floor, and weld it all back. i think I saw Stacey David do it on trucks a few years back. Either way, good luck with the buils and make sure you let us follow it on here!

Looks like a great place to start! I have always loves the 67-72 C-10/20 trucks. What are your plans as far as colors and suspension? They make short bed conversions for them, depending on your skills. You "Z" cut the frame and cut the bed sides and floor, and weld it all back. i think I saw Stacey David do it on trucks a few years back. Either way, good luck with the buils and make sure you let us follow it on here!

good base to start from man. you can always make it a shortbox. i cant remeber if it was on the show trucks or if it was stacy davids gearz. but they show you how to do a short box. i would honestly do it because imo they look a million timers better. but definatly a nice truck you found there. i am jealous lol 69 c20 is my dream truck to rebuild. youll have to keep us informed on how the progress is going

My first truck was a 69. Took out the bench seat and put in buckets. I never liked the idea of the gas tank behind the seat in the interior thou. Especially when mine started leaking.

I like the blue. I'd run with it.

Edited by gmJake (see edit history)

Its already lowered in the front so were planning on keeping the raked look. We will most likely get rid of the 20's and go with something a little more period. I also know a paint and body guy who has cut a long bed into a short bed before so we might look into that. As far as the color goes we have not decided. Not sure if we are going to go one color or 2 tone or what. My dad is going to end up paying for the paint job (no way I can afford it) so it might be up to him what color it gets. When we were looking for a 49-56 pickup we wanted to paint it something like this, but not sure yet. We are going to go with black interior so we can paint the outside any color.

1379962637_2103387d99_z.jpg

looks good dude. There is a guy around town here who had a yellow truck, same year. He lowered it, chopped the roof line, and put a newer stepside bed on it. Truck looked sick when he was done. Keep us updated and cant wait to see it completed.

i always had a soft spot for long beds. i say keep it and be diff. but i guess you cant beat the look of a short bed. ill keep a eye on the site for updates. will be fun to watch it come togeter.

Let me know when you put the 20s up for sale.

Not sure what we are going to do with the 20's they are 8 lug so they wont fit on an ss or my wifes tahoe. I might just keep them and put them on an HD if i ever get one ans id they fit

Not sure what we are going to do with the 20's they are 8 lug so they wont fit on an ss or my wifes tahoe. I might just keep them and put them on an HD if i ever get one ans id they fit

Oh. I figured they were 5 lug like my 96.

Not too bad looking of a classic truck.

Just don't go cheep on that outter grille shell. Pay that $500+ for the real GM deal, don't go with the chinese refabs. TRUST ME.

You will have to call around to find one, but the GM ones are still out there....