i think my fuel pump went out on me , want your opinion

alex.t

so driving to the lake everythings good to almost get there and bring my speed down. i notice it doesnt have any power above 2000 rpms , itll still run and drive though, so i park it and leave it for 3 days at the lake. go to leave everything starts and runs fine till i get about 20 kms on the highway , starts sputtering and loosing major power go to pull over on the side of the road and all of sudden regains power again so i get it to a side a dirt road and get it down to idle and starts running like junk again and eventually dies, wont start just turns over and runs maybe a second. i pushed that bleeder on the fuel rails and barely any gas came out . got my dad there to turn the key off and turn it back on which should prime everything up and no fuel coming there at all . what you guys thinkin ? if your thinkin fuel pump also would you just put an oem back in , i hear walbro 255 is godo but also unreliable , let me know what you think thanks .

Dont the 03's have a fuel filter? Sounds like a clogged fuel filter to me. If not then yeah its probably your fuel pump. Have your dad cycle the key and you get down buy the tank and listen for the pump and see if it is turning on for the 3 seconds it should when you prime it.walbro 255 pumps are decent pumps and for the money you cant complain they are almost disposable.

Yeah mines a 03 And still has the fuel filter on the frame. And that's exactly what it sounds like to me. I had a Suburban that did the exact same thing. When I replaced the fuel filter it ran strong as hell. Thats why I replace my fuel filter every 10k miles.

You need something like 60 psi to start the motor, and even less for it to run. The fact that your truck starts tells me it isn't the pump but as others have mentioned possibly the filter. If you have never replaced that , it would be the first thing I did. Cheap and an easy swap. Good luck.

Dont the 03's have a fuel filter? Sounds like a clogged fuel filter to me. If not then yeah its probably your fuel pump. Have your dad cycle the key and you get down buy the tank and listen for the pump and see if it is turning on for the 3 seconds it should when you prime it.walbro 255 pumps are decent pumps and for the money you cant complain they are almost disposable.

Yeah mines a 03 And still has the fuel filter on the frame. And that's exactly what it sounds like to me. I had a Suburban that did the exact same thing. When I replaced the fuel filter it ran strong as hell. Thats why I replace my fuel filter every 10k miles.

I'm with them^^

filter has been changed twice since ive owned including this spring so dont think its that. and its barely a start just enough for it to sputter. what modifications needed to drop in a walbro 255 or is it a direct fit.

If you need a fuel pump I would check with the Racetronix kits. On the other hand do yourself a favor and diagnose the problem before you just replace parts. Scan the truck and check to see if the O2 voltage drops when you feel the truck lay over. If it does this will tell you that you may have a fuel pump issue. Checking fuel pressure would be the best way though. If you don't have a scan tool or fuel pressure gauge try to borrow one if you can first though because replacing a part and then finding out afterward that you didn't need to is expensive and will drive you nuts. I see you have long tubes although it doesn't say if you have cats. If you do have cats make sure to check them for being plugged up. This can also cause the truck to lay over and very much so in fact.

thanks zippy for the info , no cats so no worries there ive also been reading on pt.net and there saying might also be the ecm b fuse. but ya ill see if i can get a gauge for the fuel . also for the walbro install i believe the part number i need is gss340 if i need to get one

Edited by 03silv.ss (see edit history)

i would still check the fuel filter i dont care if you changed it last month. one bad tank of gas and a fuel filter can get clogged . when i redid my fuel system i put a performance fuel filter in it and i was having a fuel pressure problems with only like 5-10 miles on the new system. so i though maybe it was my pumps so i bought 2 new pumps and problem was still there, long story short it ended up being my brand new fuel filter!! less then 10 miles on it clogged to hell and i spent 2 months scratching my head over it, just saying dont rule out the most basic thing to check.

ok got to work on er today , turned the key on no noise at all from the pump this time , thought it might be the fuse swapped it out and nothing yet , took the filter of to and its clean so ive come to the conclusion the pump is junk . took the bed off this afternoon gonna take the pump out tomorow and see what i can find.