Low oil pressure

• 3 months later...

I would bet u have a spun number 2 cam bearing. My machinist sees them all of the time. This problem is found most often in 2004 and prior 6.0's. Mid year 2004 GM changed the cam bearing design. Id is still the same but od changed. This is good as ur machinist can machine the cam bore out for the new design cam bearing and salvage ur block (typically, a block is junk if u spin a cam bearing).

Fwiiw, this happened to my truck at just over 100,000 miles and I'm still driving it at 176,000 miles!!! LMAO! Originally, I cut open the oil filter and it was loaded with bearing material! The subsequent filters had some material but not as much. I was going to drive it until it died and I'm still waiting. I guess the oil pump puts out enough volume that it is able to properly oil the rest of the engine even with one bearing being spun--pretty cool.

Hey guys. Sorry. Havent been on the forum in awhile. Stupid me, installed one of my oil pump spacers (for the double roller chain) in upside down, as they will bolt on either way. Only, one way the oil port lines up, and the other, it blocks half the port and the other half of the port is exposed. So its no longer a sealed system, but oil is just leaking down the front cover back into the pan, resulting in no oil pressure. After realizing what i did, i had to pull it and take the block in for a new set of cam bearings. fun fun. haha i should have my truck back by christmas.

Hey guys. Sorry. Havent been on the forum in awhile. Stupid me, installed one of my oil pump spacers (for the double roller chain) in upside down, as they will bolt on either way. Only, one way the oil port lines up, and the other, it blocks half the port and the other half of the port is exposed. So its no longer a sealed system, but oil is just leaking down the front cover back into the pan, resulting in no oil pressure. After realizing what i did, i had to pull it and take the block in for a new set of cam bearings. fun fun. haha i should have my truck back by christmas.

Man; That'll make you kick yourself, Eh?

• 3 months later...

HELP!! I'm having an issue with my oil pressure gage and was looking for some input. I'm hoping its just the gage itself and nothing Major as I am getting out of the Corps in less then 60 days and am going to be without a paycheck. any way here goes..

So I was driving home the other day hauling ass and I looked down and I had no oil pressure. Had an oh shit moment and took it easy the rest of the way home. got back, let the truck sit for a while and checked the oil level and it was good, turned the truck back on and had pressure. everything normal. drove the truck to and from work the rest of the week and it was only doing it occasionally. seemed to do it only after it warmed up outside..but then it was warmer all last week here in yuma and I didnt have any issues. I had after the first week purchased a new oil pressure regulator switch ( I just guessed thats what its called. the switch was on the top back of the block towards the driver side, PAIN IN THE ASS TO REPLACE!) switched it out with the new unit yesterday turned the truck on and still 0 pressure. then this morning i changed the oil drove it around a bit and it was fine again. just went to move the truck to do the wifes oil and 0 pressure again??? I also noticed that the that the gage seemed to twitch like it was trying to move and just not able to....there is no noticeable knocking, no higher temperature, it seems to be driving fine and acting normal...any input?

oh the truck has 69,114 original miles I've been the only owner, I recently had the transmission repaired/upgraded probably 1000-1500 miles ago and when I went out to check the mileage just now the oil pressure stuttered up to 20 psi.

Edited by NickO'Brien7r (see edit history)

Yes it is. You can replace it yourself or send it to someone. My speedo went and my oil pressure started to go so I bought a whole new gauge cluster. We have a guy on the site who repairs them.

Yes it is. You can replace it yourself or send it to someone. My speedo went and my oil pressure started to go so I bought a whole new gauge cluster. We have a guy on the site who repairs them.

whats he charge for that and can you point me in his direction? I'm capable of doing the work myself but if its not an arm and leg I'd let a more knowledgeable person have at it. thanks guys for the help!!

This one I can't answer for you. I don't want to tell you something that I don't know about. Get in touch with Steve and he can answer all your questions he does this stuff for a living he know his stuff.