New Build Is MISFIRING!

MID12sSSS

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION

The crankshaft position (CKP) sensor signal indicates the crankshaft speed and position. The CKP sensor circuits are connected directly to the powertrain control module (PCM) and consists of the following circuits:

- The 12-volt reference circuit

- The low reference circuit

- The CKP sensor signal circuit

If the PCM detects that the CKP sensor signal is inconsistent for 2 seconds, DTC P0336 sets.

CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING THE DTC

The engine is cranking or running.

CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC

The PCM detects that the CKP sensor signal is inconsistent for 2 seconds.

ACTION TAKEN WHEN THE DTC SETS

- The PCM illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on the second consecutive ignition cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails.

- The PCM records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The first time the diagnostic fails, the PCM stores this information in the Failure Records. If the diagnostic reports a failure on the second consecutive ignition cycle, the PCM records the operating conditions at the time of the failure. The PCM writes the operating conditions to the Freeze Frame and updates the Failure Records.

CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE MIL/DTC

- The PCM turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.

- A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.

- A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.

- Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool.

DIAGNOSTIC AIDS

- The following conditions may cause this DTC to set:

- Crankshaft reluctor wheel damage or improper installation

- The CKP sensor coming in contact with the reluctor wheel

- The engine running out of fuel

- If the crankshaft rotates backwards, this DTC sets. This condition can only occur with vehicles equipped with a manual transmission. This condition occurs when a vehicle is on an incline and the clutch is released and an engine stall occurs.

- Excess crankshaft end play will cause the CKP sensor reluctor wheel to move out of alignment with the CKP sensor. This could result in any one of the following:

- A no start

- A start and stall

- Erratic performance

- For an intermittent, refer to Intermittent Conditions. See: Computers and Control Systems > Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview > Intermittent Conditions

TEST DESCRIPTION

imagesWLinks0.gif

imagesWLinks1.gif

imagesWLinks.gif

The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

2. This step verifies that the malfunction is present.

3. This step tests for electromagnetic interference (EMI) on the CKP sensor circuits.

Edited by MID12sSSS (see edit history)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check the reluctor wheel and make sure its not on backwards

post-16219-13471037679_thumb.jpg

post-16219-134710380942_thumb.jpg

So the wheel with the little half diamond shape should be the wheel at the very back?

First though, I'd check the timing set either by opening her up or compression check, then follow the wires to the pcm and make sure they're good all the way there.

If i compression check every cylinder and they are all equal, i can tell if the timing is set right or not without opening her up? Even if its a tooth off or so? i hope its not that reluctor wheel. But zippy said the same. That he's seen them put on backwards. I put it in the way i recieved it from TSP. Thanks for the help. I have 9.5 hours to work on it today before i gotta push her outside until next weekend. Ill keep checking up on here.

I don't think its the timing, id bet its the reluctor. Either bent, or backwards. Its not that uncommon for this to happen but its rare. You could see if you can drop the pan, i'm not sure if there's enough room down there though.

Nope. No crank relearn performed. Is that somehting i should do? It should be able to atleast idle though right? I thought the crank relearn process involved WOT, which i cant do right now. Haha.

CKP System Variation Learn Procedure

1. Install a scan tool.

2. Monitor the powertrain control module for DTCs with a scan tool. If other DTCs are set, except DTC P0315, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List for the applicable DTC that set.

3. Select the crankshaft position (CKP) variation learn procedure with a scan tool.

4. The scan tool instructs you to perform the following:

- Accelerate to wide open throttle (WOT).

- Release the throttle when fuel cut-off occurs.

- Observe the fuel cut-off for the engine that you are performing the learn procedure on.

- The engine should not accelerate beyond the calibrated RPM value.

- Release the throttle immediately if the value is exceeded.

- Block the drive wheels.

- Set the parking brake.

- DO NOT apply the brake pedal.

- Cycle the ignition from OFF to ON.

- Apply and hold the brake pedal.

- Start and idle the engine.

- Turn the A/C OFF.

- The vehicle must remain in Park or Neutral.

- The scan tool monitors certain component signals to determine if all the conditions are met to continue with the procedure. The scan tool only displays the condition that inhibits the procedure. The scan tool monitors the following components:

- Crankshaft position (CKP) sensors activity-If there is a CKP sensor condition, refer to the applicable DTC that set.

- Camshaft position (CMP) sensor activity-If there is a CMP sensor condition, refer to the applicable DTC that set.

- Engine coolant temperature (ECT)-If the ECT is not warm enough, idle the engine until the engine coolant temperature reaches the correct temperature.

5. Enable the CKP system variation learn procedure with a scan tool.

6. Accelerate to WOT.

IMPORTANT: While the learn procedure is in progress, release the throttle immediately when the engine starts to decelerate. The engine control is returned to the operator and the engine responds to throttle position after the learn procedure is complete.

7. Release when the fuel cut-off occurs.

8. The scan tool displays Learn Status: Learned this ignition.

If the scan tool indicates that DTC P0315 ran and passed, the CKP variation learn procedure is complete.

If the scan tool indicates DTC P0315 failed or did not run, refer to DTC P0315.

If any other DTCs set, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List for the applicable DTC that set.

9. Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds after the learn procedure is completed successfully.

10. The CKP system variation learn procedure is also required when the following service procedures have been performed, regardless of whether DTC P0315 is set:

- An engine replacement

- A PCM replacement

- A harmonic balancer replacement

- A crankshaft replacement

- Any engine repairs which disturb the CKP sensor relationship

I replaced the sensor already. Haha. Okay, so i was just running through the pictures that i took during the build, and i have a picture of the reluctor wheel!!! The Diamond is on the backside and you can see it through the circle window, so the wheels are in the right order, but all the other circles arent lined up. I have my stock crank infront of me and i can put my finger through all the circles. They all line up and i can see through them. In the pic i got, the circles are all blocked off by the other wheel. So one of the wheels is 180* off, if that makes sense.

Yeah. I can have them uploaded around 615 when i leave the shop and get to my laptop. The pic isnt amazing, but i could see the reluctor pretty well when i zoomed in on my camera. Im pulling the motor and putting it on a stand now. If i get the oil pan off tonight, ill post some pics of that as well.