brake petal rattling

cnrtool

It appears as if a bushing or spacer has deteriorated at the point the pivot bolt of my 03 ss brake petal, It has progressivly been getting worse. The petal now has substantial left / right play, and makes a nasty rattle when I hit bumps that sounds like the front end is about to fall apart.

Heres the questions:

1)Anyone else experienced this?

2) anyone have a part number, or know of an online manual to get he part number?

3) is dropping the brake petal difficult?

Regards

Chuck

I havent heard of the issue yet but the only way to know how to remove it is to look and try.more than likely there is a cotter pin holding a through pin whi h is what the pedal probably pivots on, pull the cotter pin, push out the through pin and it should come apart.Good luck.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I have had the exact same thing after having my truck for 8 months(I bought it brand new). I hear the same thing on bumps. I havent gotten under there to see whats wrong yet. I've just learned to lift under the bottom of it with my left foot to keep it quiet LOL.

Without a doubt, it is not the intermediate shaft.

the noise stops completely by gently lifting up on the brake petal.

I was hoping for a part numnber or a website that the part number could be looked up on.

As irritating as the rattle is, somebody must have fixed this before me!

be VERY careful if you remove the pedal.. the 'safety clip' failed on my truck TWICE, once on the highway, causing the pedal to fall off the shaft that pushes the master cylinder plunger in.. hence NO BRAKES

the bolt at the pivot point is an 18mm bolt, only comes off and goes on ONE WAY.. nut end of that bolt on the drivers side.. its a bit of a PITA to work on the pedal.. but do able.

there is a 'dry' lube plastic collar on the pivot point.. it could be that it broke apart. make sure that when you put the pedal back on, and you put the plunger and safety switch on, that the clip is 1000000000000000000% properly mounted... or a crash ye shall have eh?

be VERY careful if you remove the pedal.. the 'safety clip' failed on my truck TWICE, once on the highway, causing the pedal to fall off the shaft that pushes the master cylinder plunger in.. hence NO BRAKES

the bolt at the pivot point is an 18mm bolt, only comes off and goes on ONE WAY.. nut end of that bolt on the drivers side.. its a bit of a PITA to work on the pedal.. but do able.

there is a 'dry' lube plastic collar on the pivot point.. it could be that it broke apart. make sure that when you put the pedal back on, and you put the plunger and safety switch on, that the clip is 1000000000000000000% properly mounted... or a crash ye shall have eh?

That's pretty scary!!!!! Im going to be very cautious on fixing this pedal problem and thanks for the heads up.

Well guys, GM emailed me back with part number 15157907.

I am going to order one of these, and have my local shop put it on. Will let you know how it goes in a few weeks...

And thanks, mr scary, I will pass that tidbit of info on to my mechanic.