Several problems arose after new engine install. Ideas???

MID12sSSS

Okay. So the new motor is finally alive after changing out the reluctor wheel. Still has some valvetrain noise, but that should eventually go away... i hope. But i was surprised to see that my alternator wasnt putting out any power, so i rechecked all the connections, still nothing. Ill be putting a new one in tomorrow. My powersteering doesnt work, at all. I pulled the cap on the reservoir and the fluid isnt circulating. Just calm. undisturbed powersteering fluid. So i guess now i need a P/S pump. This may have been from pushing it in and out of the shop and cranking on the steering wheel. But the problem that gets me, is that my "service brake booster" notification keeps popping up on the HUD. And sure enough, the brakes dont stop too well.... So what the hell. Is it common to have this many problems after a truck has been parked for 3 months with no engine? Should i try bleeding the brakes? They worked fine before the previous motor took a shit.... Any ideas?

in my opinion its probably not a bad idea to go overboard with checkin it all out, i cant imagine sittin for 3 months would do any sort of good on any of the brake and p/s stuff where fluid has just been chillin in lines and reservoirs, or lack of fluid etc... the alternator i dunno, im not a mech, just throwin in my 2 cents.

Edited by SStorm (see edit history)

Yeah. Ill bleed the brakes before i thow a booster at it. I just think its unusual to have all these problems at once. But it has been down for awhile. Im sure me painting the alt screwed it up some how. Ill buy a new one, if it fixes the problem, ill paint the new one more carefully :cool:

I dont mind putting in a P/S pump and alt, but the brake thing is wierd to me, and like i said, unusual. Thanks for the input guys. I just wanted to see if anyone has ever had similar experiences with items failing after new motor. I know its common for fuel pumps to crap out. Glad mine hasnt.

Check to make sure you have a good vacuum source for your brake booster sounds like your problem to me. I recently worked on a 2004 Silverado that had been parked for 2 years with a blown motor, replaced the engine, started it up and everything worked fine including brakes. I highly doubt your brake booster died just from being parked. I can see the issue with the alternator since it was painted that might cause some issues. Just my opinion

Edited by Matt* (see edit history)

Check to make sure you have a good vacuum source for your brake booster sounds like your problem to me. I recently worked on a 2004 Silverado that had been parked for 2 years with a blown motor, replaced the engine, started it up and everything worked fine including brakes. I highly doubt your brake booster died just from being parked. I can see the issue with the alternator since it was painted that might cause some issues. Just my opinion

Ill definitely recheck my vaccum lines etc. I think a line from my SC ties into the booster. Ill have to look. Thanks man,

So after some research, I found that the bad alternator "battery not charging" message and the "service brake booster" message are directly related. In vacuum assist brakes there is a motor mounted on the booster.If the voltage gets too low the motor will not be able to operate so the message appears warning you to service the brake booster. Weird huh? Two birds, one stone. Now just to figure out the PS and I'll be doing AWD burnouts in no time. Haha.

Edited by MID12sSSS (see edit history)