TB I6 converter

I know of a guy who runs it in his a4 gto with no converter and manifolds and has no issues with drive ability. Yes there's a lot left on the table obviously but still produces good drive ability and decent numbers for cam only

Also comparing the performance from a car to a truck isnt the best comparison.

Even though a GTO is a heavy pig for a car

It's close enough of an example. I haven't found anyone who's put one in a truck yet. Plus I wasn't asking about the stock converter I was asking about the reworked yank. Just being a hot rodder .... Trying to research different things instead of just picking up a catalog and ordering parts. I can't let my checkbook do the talking. Kid comes first..

It's close enough of an example. I haven't found anyone who's put one in a truck yet. Plus I wasn't asking about the stock converter I was asking about the reworked yank. Just being a hot rodder .... Trying to research different things instead of just picking up a catalog and ordering parts. I can't let my checkbook do the talking. Kid comes first..

Its not a "yank" converter its still a factory converter that yank changes the stall speed. And thats great, you still made a post on a forum for suggestions and opinions and u have em.

And no, comparing a car to a 6k lb truck isnt close enough lol Its almost night and day difference.

And dont get me wrong bro, im not here to bust ur balls. Sorry if that seems that way. Theres a difference in being a hot rodder as u call it and a smart hot rodder.

Jus looking out for ya and helping you prevent a "I told you so" situation.

Edited by 2BFAST (see edit history)

It's not a crazy stick and makes proven numbers. You can run it on a stock converter even tho i wont be using one. havent purchased it yet but it's a likely choice. My old tuner designed it, but I'm always open to suggestions.

For our trucks its not crazy but it is on the high side, even a 228 produces a power band most guys don't really use because they don't want a 3600-3800 stall and don't shift high enough(Dan, fireman, already said his converter wasn't enough for a 228). Can you run any cam on a stock converter...yes...but you can drive with your feet to, that doesn't mean it should be done. If your on stock heads and manifolds and long runner intake it will tame the cam down(with huge power losses), but when you add larger runner heads and better headers, the power peak of the cam will get higher. And I'm not saying the power band should be used on stock heads and manifolds either. With a larger duration cam you run the risk of more overlap as well, unless the valve events have been picked to maintain compression. So your going to lower your DCR with this cam as well with out doing anything to add more static compression, a very bad choice IMO. If you wanted to run around 11.6 CR i would still say use a smaller cam , but it would be better.

here is link to help:http://www.projectpontiac.com/ppsite15/compression-ratio-calculator

I know of a guy who runs it in his a4 gto with no converter and manifolds and has no issues with drive ability. Yes there's a lot left on the table obviously but still produces good drive ability and decent numbers for cam only

The weight of the car VS us is HUGE in cam selection when targeting a converter stall. Again you can use a 3100 converter but a guy with a 224 cam and a 3100 converter will be showing you his tail lights....every time. And with heads, 11.4ish cr and headers, i would still say run a 3200-3400 on a 224 cam for the best 60 foot time, a 2800-2900 is still fun.

What numbers does this GTO produce at the tires? And after i ask that, I'm going to say it doesn't really matter, because it can put down a dyno number that will blow your mind.....and a 224 cam will still wait for him at the end of the track because the dyno hp isn't the track ET. It's like a 1000 hp car running a 12 second pass because the turbo doesn't spool until the 1000 foot mark, but it puts down a 1000 hp....

It really isn't close enough, the gto will run a much lower stall then we will and run way better. I know it seems close, but it does make that much difference. I do applaud you wanting to pick your own cam based on the information in front of you, but we are trying to lead you in the right direction so you don't either buy a new cam or go through the BS of pulling the trans and running a converter you never wanted in the first place. So we are really trying to save you money and spend it how WE should have the first time around.

And although i did not run a 230 cam i do have a good example for you. Patrick G picks cams for a living, I'm going to assume he is good at his job based on the success that guys have had running his cams. I paid him to spec a cam out for my SS with high flowing heads, 11.6 compression, 1.75 headers, a short runner intake(bad for converter) and a 4000 stall and he said a 230-234 cam on a 111lsa to try to control the shift points. In my experience the converter would still be to low and the cam would have pulled past the target shift point, but who am i compared to him.

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

Thanks Brad. Gotta love your detailed posts to put it all.together.

Everyone wants to put a "big" cam in their truck but doesnt want to deal with the converter. Its almost like a car with a 1500 horse drivetrain on all weather street tires. Its useless. The car sounds good lol but its absolutly useless

This is why I asked to get valuable information. To me it didn't seem that big but then again to others it does. I really need something to drive everyday and still have my wife be able to drive my truck without complaining too much. Make good power and be able to toss some heads on later down the road. This got way off topic from the converter lol but steer me the right way. Btw my truck weighs 4180 with me in it and I have the weight slip to prove that one. I also am 2wd and have 373s. Trying to buy once but iv just been gathering info. Everything is scattered and everyone will choose a package for a different reason. It's so damn confusing with so many options.

It's confusing but these 2 guys are way more knowledgeable than most as you can tell there just trying to help. Brad helped me when I had questions. You want the best bang for your buck with your truck just like I did. I might be a hair low on my converter but I drive mine everyday. I wanted it comfortable.

thats where im at. i aprreciate the knowledge as most will not help or even give an opinion on choosing parts. im just trying to take it all in and absorb it. wish i could just have someone spec me a whole package so i can gather parts... seems like ill be there very soon with all the replies :cool:

""Btw my truck weighs 4180 with me in it and I have the weight slip to prove that one. I also am 2wd and have 373s."

Holy shit, i think that's even lighter than single cab's man, and that's not a huge cam by any mean's IMO it's a mild cam for a 6.0 you should see what kind of grind's they're putting in trucks down in south texas! Some of em run but some... well.. yeah. That cam needs alot more stall than a reworked tb converter though.

Edited by La SS (see edit history)

i have no idea why it weighs that. ill have to find the slip its laying around somewhere. only weight reduction i had at that time was the spare tire and jack and all that removed, it had no fuel in it tho. only enough to make it to the gas station a couple miles down the road. I was told from another member on here that its what they call a 3SS ? no leather, no center console, basic cd player, no steering wheel controls, no power or heated seats. Nothing other than the SS cluster and emblem on the dash inside.

I think when i do my cam swap im gonna run the circle D 3200. it has a lot of good reviews and happy customers. I started this thread to see if anyone has had experience with them just to see if it was an option. It still is, but i really like that circle D

As far as the #SS I think it goes higher number the more goodies it has. At least that's how the others work. My truck is a 1LT bench cloth seats, no bose, ect. The sierra Denali was a CL3.

I'm 2wd with not much goodies and I'm still sitting in the 5200 lb range

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...

5200 here with weight reduction. I'm AWD and have a big ass sub box. I think the circle D 3200 is a good choice. That's what I'll be going with as well with a 224/228 .581/.588 114LSA cam with L92 heads. I chose this cam because livernois has a very similar cam for their L92 package. Again, circle D ftw!