track time !!!! need some advise from the site vets&#3

idahoBLKss

currently i have prepping to be ready for the last test n tune of the year happening this saturday. to get some of you up to speed i recently bought a f1r and was going to have it on for this meet but its going to be a lil more work then just bolting it on so with the limited time i have so i decided to keep the d1 on and spray it with a 50-75 shot instead.question is when is the best time to spray i got a rpm switch and i set it at 3500-5500 rpms through every gear ,will that be ok? i have a 3200 stall and shift at around 6400 rpms. i didnt want to spray all the way to the shift point cause its going to be high boost and was looking for more of a low end to mid range power adder.

Not that I have a lot of passes on nitrous but I have ran a bottle or two in the ss with boost. I ran 11LBS and a wet 65 shot. At first I sprayed it right after the 60 foot or so. It seemed to like that. But then I said what the heck let's try it off the line. So as soon asthe tree went green I let off the brakes and sprayed it off the line. it pulled really hard and I ran my best pass so far with it. This was on a bone stock 6.0 with mixed pump gas and 105 fuel. I know your e85 so that won't help. But that's what I did. But I also just had a button that I controlled to spray the nitrous. for so reason it really liked the little shot id had on it. I didn't change anything other than adding the 105 fuel. I'm not saying this is the best way to do it. This is just how I did it.

Edited by shawnss (see edit history)

Nope I just held it from start to the finish it shifted just fine. Its just like if somebody was spraying it off a full throttle switch. You wouldn't let of right before it shifted. Its just like a Rpm activation's switch once you go WOT it starts sparing and doesn't stop until you let off.

I highly recommend you run some NGK BR7EFs plugs if you spray on top of boost. You may get away with NGK BR6EF, depending on boost, however I would go with the 7's. With a small shot of 50HP...I would just spray the entire run and keep an eye on KR, AFR and fuel pressure. What kind of boost and timing are you attempting to run???

well boost should be around 18-20psi i havent gotten it wot yet we are still tuning since i put the new injectors in ( new bosch 126#ers) so im not sure what it will hit now with the 10% od crank and 8 rib set up but should be in that ball park . we currently backed the timing back 4+ degrees across the board to start tuning on and we added a crap ton of fuel and going to dial it back in slowly. cant remember what the timing was at i think around 22-23 peek .i was thinking on stepping up to a 7 plug anyway think it will be ok even when im not spraying?

You are running E-85 correct? I personally haven't tuned a high boost E-85 set-up so I really cannot comment on the spark advance in those conditions...all set-up are different and there is no set correct number. What I will say is you should be running a "7" series plug with that much boost, IMHO anyway. I am currently tuning a 25lb boosted 370 and the 7's are barely cold enough. Add in a little spray, the cylinder pressure and temperatures go through the roof, requiring a much colder plug. I saw an improvement on KR simply by going to a recessed tip colder plug. Reading the plug after a high boost run will be able to tell you if you need to go a 1/2 step colder yet (8 range).

Trick with adding juice and a good amount of boost is the AFR. Boost tends to require a bit of a rich condition to remove cylinder temperature and cushion detonation. Nitrous on the other hand is "safer" in the less rich conditions...regardless of what you hear on the net. If you run too rich of a mixture, you risk unburnt fuel (mixture) pooling under the rings. In a boosted condition it isn't really a concern however adding a strong oxidizer (Nitrous oxide), you have the potential to blow out the rings. Take a look at a vast majority of engine failures on juice (yellow bullit.com). More often than not, a ring land blew out causing further engine damage. Sooooo, finding the AFR balance to compliment both high boost and nitrous is tricky. Adding a recessed plug with the correct temperature is a must IMHO. Now the recessed plug is igniting the mixture at a different location in the combustion chamber so you may have different Octane and timing requirements than with a projected tip.

A colder plug may give you some idle challenges and plug fouling if the tuning is off however giving your truck a WOT blast every so often usually cleans off the plugs nicely! BTW, if you do run Nitrous and high boost, use fresh plugs and do not buy the special platinum or IR plugs. Standard copper core with a tight gap.

...Can't wait to see your track times!!!! She is going to haul the mail!

just got done tuning had the worst night ever leading up the the final WOT pull of the night , hit 21psi boost only! yes this is on the d1 . sadly i wasnt keeping a close eye on the bottle pressure i thought it would be fine with the pressure switch on there but thank god i installed a blow down tube other wise the cab of my truck would of been filled with n20 from the pressure plate rupturing ! so i wont be spraying tomorrow but im ok with that i think 21 psi will get me 10's !! "fingers crossed" . then i had a pump go dead on me , ended up being a loose wire on the pump in the tank.... what a night!! BUT im ready to rock and roll for tomorrow!!! ill keep you guys posted with results!

Edited by idahoBLKss (see edit history)