Almost time to buy, Silverado SS owners opinions?

454fan

Hi silverado SS forum! My name is Dustin. I am 21 years old, and have been a big fan of the silverado ss since 03. I have always been a gm truck guy, and the SS is just plane sexy! Anyways, I am getting ready to buy one, saving up 20grand to pay in cash$. Looking for a 03-07 with less then 70 000 miles. Must be black, 20inch oem rims, and stock!

So here are my questions before for you ss owners. Is the AWD nice to have? Or is it a waste of fuel? I have to run premium fuel correct? How many MPG do you get city/highway?Is insurance costly because its a SS? What do you love the most about your ss? What is the downfall of these trucks? All vehicles have flaws, so I am curious what this ones are. Should I wait to find a 07 so its rwd, and does it have traction control?

Thank you for reading , and I hope to get feedback from you owners. If you would like to add anything, please do!

Thanks for your time.

Dustin

Welcome to the site. Love my SS. AWD. U will love it. Great in all kinds of weather. It eats a little gas yes. You will get better mpg with the 2wd. The tranny is the weakest link. Being so young the ins will be kinda costly. Lots of mods you can do to these trucks for sure. You will have to run premium gas as well. This truck does have a sexy factor. You will def turn peoples heads.

Edited by JC03SS (see edit history)

Welcome to the world of the SS. I was in your position back in June and picked a higher mileage (130k) 03 for a lot less than 20. The AWD personally, I could live without it but i'm also currently living in Florida. I am going to put it to the test coming up this winter as I'll be moving to Virginia. MPG wise, don't expect high 20's out of it. It's just not gonna happen with a stock truck. I'm getting between 12.5 to 17 on premium. And you have to run premium. As far as what I love about my truck, it's great when some ricer (non-AWD) pulls up beside me and from a stoplight, they don't have a chance lol. Downfalls, these things are money pits!!!!!!!! Once you make one mod, then comes another and another. As far as should you get AWD, if I was in your position, I would. Just because of the severe weather you can be faced with that far north. Good luck on your search. And don't jump on the first thing you see.

Edited by mxsailor803 (see edit history)

I love my truck but its not my DD so fuel milage doesn't matter to me. If your looking for good fuel milage a half ton truck isn't for you. i don't know of a single half ton the gets better than 20 MPG in town. as for the AWD its a nice thing to have if your in an area where you tend to get snow. but also AWD is nice fit your planning on making good power it hooks great. no that you can't make a 2WD hook its just easier with a AWD. like stated above the Transmission in these trucks can be the down fall when adding power adders. the mods are endless for these trucks. they are an all round good truck. good luck with your search. hope you find a nice one.

AWD was the main reason I got this truck. Beats any 4x4 in the snow when I did drive it year round 05-07. Cannot beat AWD launches, so it was a no brainer for me. Now its the garage queen. I will be adding a 2wd SS to have the best of both worlds.

Yes your Insurance will be more, the first year my Insurance didnt realize it was an SS edition, but when i renewed they said "wait, its an SS model correct?" and they charged me an extra $10-20 per month which is change.

Weakest link is draw of the bunch, some have tranny issues right off the start, some have front differential issues with the AWD and need it rebuilt (mine was rebuilt at 20k miles, currently at 64k). Another common issue is the steering "clunk" with the steering shaft. One thing to remember is the 03s are the only model year SS to have a replaceable fuel filter.

Gas milage or prices shouldnt be a worry if your jumping into a 6.0 litre engine imo, so be ready to spend over $100 to fill up.

Good luck on finding the right SS truck.

Edited by 03mass (see edit history)

AWD is awesome!!! i love the feeling and control of it!! only downside to these trucks is the shitty 4l65e transmission everything else is good to go!!! and also if you are worried about gas mileage.... Don't buy one of these trucks.

Edited by Silverad0 SS (see edit history)

Thank you for all the replies, I red each and everyone. I am not to worried about spending on gas. I have a fairly decent paying job so if I enjoy it, the cost of fill wont matter. I just wanted to ask about the milage. I have a feeling my insurance will be close to $6000. Which is a croc, because they will technically own the truck in 3 years. I live in Alberta ,Canada and it snows more then 6months a year. Its actually was coming down hard today and the roads are slick. So maybe AWD is the way to go. My round trip to work is less then 18miles, so I am lucky that way to be saving. My old man has a 06 silverado LT(loves it) and he put tons of mods on his truck, but my last vehicle was a sports car so I learnt HP just gets you in trouble. So no power mods, %100 stock other then a 1100 watt rocking sound system!

I am in no rush to buy, and it has to be my perfect truck. So what I am hearing that the trannys are the weak link.. Is this for all of them or just modified ones? If thats the case, what do I look(listen?) for when I am ready to commit to a purchase? Iv been ripped off lots in the past with vehicles , so I want to make sure the tranny and all other components are in good shape, and not needing more money shelled into it. What else should I look for? As I said I am in no rush to buy, and the perfect truck must come up for sale!

Thanks for your guys time, all input is appreciated . keep it comin :thumbsup:

Dustin

Yeah you can actually get a 2wd as old as 2005 as it was an option then and become standard in 2006. I personally would get an awd truck for all the reasons everyone else has stated. These are the best trucks out there imo. Good luck on your search for the right one. Shouldn't be hard finding a truck to meet your criteria.

ive had my truck since i was 17 and im 22 now. i love it i have no plans on selling it anytime soon. the AWD is awesome it launches like a monster and if you drive like a normal person unlike me youl get around 14 average. my trucks got 65k on it and i beat the piss out of it and the only issue ive had so far was the trans but my truck isnt stock at all so i wouldnt blame it on the truck. the trans shouldnt be that big of an issue for a stock truck. if its stock and was taken care if it should be fine.

I am in no rush to buy, and it has to be my perfect truck. So what I am hearing that the trannys are the weak link.. Is this for all of them or just modified ones?

Transmissions usually only fail on trucks with lots of mods (supercharger, cammed, ect) or from high mileage or abuse. So if you find a nice stock unabused low mileage truck you shouldn't really have any concerns about the trans.

Thanks for the advice guys! I am from Edmonton. I do not plan on lowering it. With our crappy roads, it's a death sentence.Has to be driven all year round, I hated having a 6month a year car. I am going to keep it %100 stock, other then a 1200 watt sound system ;). My last car was a modded G35 coupe and I quickly leant Hp just gets you in trouble. I am looking forward to owning my silverado SS. Other then the 07+ denali, Its the sexiest truck on the road!

Edited by 454fan (see edit history)

I've had my ss for bout 5-6 years planed in keeping it stock with exhaust and a cai.. did that and lived the sound so back under knife and rebuilt the motor cammed 42# injectors walvroll 255 in tank and not its my toy gas mileage sux but through that out of window.. this is mu dream truck dream color dream sounds...I'd sell my soul before I sold mu truck. And yes the trans is shit but that a weak point in every silverado. I got AWD and I even see snow in the ss Haha. But live the looks on peoples faces when tear ass off the line. You will not and couldn't be disappointed I. A silverado 2wd or awd . But if u see snow go wit awd .. but I think u need a blue one Haha best color

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2