Track setup

GI.SS

Test and tune is tomorrow, gonna run street tires cus well that's all I have... I'm curious what tire pressures you guys run (i usually run 20) and do you guys load your converter when launching or just burry the pedal off idle ? I have a stock converter btw.... Sorry guys I posted this on my phone and for some reason it went here :( if someone could move it? It won't allow me too

Edited by GI.SS (see edit history)

ill play with different rpm variations at launch to see what works best. track was bracket racing last sunday. we are shooting again this sunday. with 20lbs in the rear tires and getting them really warm is what has been working best. i think i might be hitting my bumpstops on launch as i have a 4" drop in the rear and havent had a chance to weld in my notch yet. i only have the bump stop trimmed down. i need to post my previous slips to have someone who can actually use the numbers to tell me what i should do to make it work better.

Edited by GI.SS (see edit history)

I haven't been to the track with the new setup yet. I have a couple more things to do and our tack is closed right noe dud to the NASCAR race coming next weekend. Yr 60ft isn't bad for not having a converter.

Tire pressure really depends on the tire size and type that you have as does heating them. I've heard for years from guys with no experience of running on street tires to never do a burnout for starters. These are the same guys who say you cant run fast on street tires. Rubber is rubber, and when it is softer it will stick better. My 06' without a burnout for example would spin right through first and straight to second off the line if I didn't heat them. Almost every pass I've made with my personal vehicles has been on street tires. What I'd recomend for you:

If you have a tire in the stock size which is 275/55R20 I'd run them down to 24 or so and that's with checking them cold such as just before you go up to make the pass. If you get too low you'll be biting more on the outside tread and too much will get you on the inside tread. When it is all correct you'll see the whole tire showing sign of having contacted the pavement. You can even do a quick stab in the pits somewhere where there is nobody parked and look at your tire as well as your mark. The bigger the tire is the less pressure you need, but remember it is still a truck. Even a 5000lb extended cab truck will have 2000+lbs on the rear tires sitting still.

When it comes to heating them that will all depend on the compound of tire you have. A hard tire will work best with a clean off which means go around the box if possible, hold the brake and get'm spinning. As soon as you get some rpm, let off the brake which should take mearly 1-2 seconds and begin to ease up letting them catch after 5 feet or so. Basicly 3-4 seconds of light spin. When you do this also hold the trans in first gear because if it shifts it will be hard on the trans. You won't need much tire speed so first will do fine. If you have a performance type of tire you can go a bit further with it. Go around the box any time you can because water on the front tires will cause a problem with traction when the rear tires drive over the spot the front tires were just sitting. Back into the water if you can and when they tell you it's ok to spin'm up, pull forward just far enough to be out of the water and then go for it. This will make sure you don't spray water on the body of the truck behind the tires. The water on the tires makes it easier on the drivetrain to get the tires spinning. Make sure both get wet, not just one or you can break or damage the diff. Give it enough power to get spinning quick through first, shift to second, and let off the brake. Go about 5-7 feet spinning in second and let off. Shift to 3rd when you let off and as the tires catch it'll all happen smoothly. This whole process should take about 5 seconds. Try it different ways to see what works best for your truck. I've raced with alot of different street tires in alot of different cars and always have great 60' times considering including 1.9 60' times with my 06' on 20's. I've even pulled a 2.02 60' with an 05 VHO with 245/70R17 General's on there. They were the standard tires that came on an 05' base model truck.