i am getting a 408 short block from Texas speed & Performance getting some wiseco pistons with lunati crank,with lunati connecting rods i am adding w some 243 heads milled .030 and tbss intake with 90mm throttle body with 38# injectors and cam 240/248 612,615 112 with a 4l80e fully built with a 3600-3800 stall and with 4:10 gears with a tru trac posi. how should the outcome be would i b satisfied with this built

ss member well hopefully it turns out good the guy from texas speed said that with some 4.03" -8cc dish wiseco pistons and my heads i will have a 11.2:1 compression idk how dont they say that dish pistons are for boost application motors he told me that not necessary but idk he is the expert

why are you decking 243 heads .030(about 6cc) just to use -8cc pistons. You could use 5.3l heads and get about the same compression, and not make a set of 243 heads have a very limited resale value.

as for compression:

bore: 4.03

stroke: 4.0

deck: assume 0

head gasket: assume .051 for now but can be changed

head 243: 65cc, not decked

piston:6cc relief

11.23 with a stock 65 cc head

the way you said:

bore: 4.03

stroke: 4.0

deck: assume 0

head gasket: assume .051 for now but can be changed

head 243: 65cc head decked .030(about 6cc) is about a 59cc head

piston:8cc relief

11.76 with the decked head.

Both of these ways are a simple compression and do not include the piston to bore clearance with ring height or figure in the diameter difference in the head gasket but i can't see the guy your talking to adding that in either.

I think 11.76 is to high with 93 octane but right there if you want to run E85.

The valve event of your cam(constant if already bought it) should be used to figure out your dynamic compression with the static compression of the motor(variable depending on head deck and gasket thickness). 8.9-9.0 is where i understand you want the the DCR to be given pump gas.

I don't know the DCR but i would start with a 65 undecked head and a 4cc valve relief, not dished, piston.

this is of coarse my small uneducated opinion.

Here is a link to have fun with:

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/compstaticcalc.html

If you can swing it, add a fast lsxrt 102 intake and a NW 102 TB.

What #38 pound injector? If its 38 at our 58 psi your going to run out of injector. I forgot what injector Krambo used but he was close to running out if i remember right. He had ported heads so what just worked for him would be close to perfect for you.

Don't get more spring then you need, with stock heads your not going to be peaking at crazy rpm and the valves are pretty small so don't waste the hp. The more spring pressure you have the harder it is for the motor just to turn its self over, and then lossing power.

I've heard a couple of reasons to run stock rockers, one i buy the other not so much. The first one is, the stock rockers have a lighter nose weight then aftermarket ones do and the nose weight is what really matters for stability so they are better, and then i add up to a certain lift. The second is the stock rockers have a girdle or bridge they sit in and this ties all the rockers together adding strength. I have seen stock rockers used with a steel gridle/bridge to improve on the AL stock one. I just don't buy this when compared to a set of rockers like yella terra which are set(2 rockers) shaft mounted or jesel which are shaft mounted. I can explain my reasoning more, but in the end its my theory(or my thinking) vs someone elses. Either way i would use yella terra rockers...although we have found out their customer service is....crap, to say the least.

As was said above, a ported set of heads would make your build come to life. A set of trick flow 235 heads, would.....infect it with life

Maybe Kevin can add some of his 408 know how, or Zippy will check in and add his experiance....and either can agree or correct my opinions

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

the guy at texas speed said that he would reccomend me some PRC 237cc CNC Ported Cylinder Heads

237cc Fully CNC Ported Intake Runners

84cc Fully CNC Ported Exhaust Runners

PRC Spring Kit Rated To .675" Lift

68cc CNC Machined Chambers

2.100" Intake / 1.600" Stainless Valves

Factory Rocker Friendly

but idk if that would get me to the right compression that i wanna be which is 11.1:1-11.5:1 compression

With that cam choice, gears, converter and trans your going to need a big set of heads. The intake and throttle body will fall flat on it's face before the cam reaches it's power band, and what kind of exhaust will you be running?

pacesetter longtube with y pipe and with some flowmasters. so u think the heads they want me to get will b good for the setup thats the flow data on the heads they recommend me to get

Flow Data:

4.030" Flow Plate - No Exhaust Pipe

LIFT INTAKE FLOW EXHAUST FLOW .100" 66 CFM 57 CFM .200" 147 CFM 117 CFM .300" 225 CFM 170 CFM .400" 284 CFM 206 CFM .500" 325 CFM 227 CFM .600" 334 CFM 235 CFM .650" 339 CFM 241 CFM

Flow Data:

4.030" Flow Plate - No Exhaust Pipe

LIFT INTAKE FLOW EXHAUST FLOW .100" 66 CFM 57 CFM .200" 147 CFM 117 CFM .300" 225 CFM 170 CFM .400" 284 CFM 206 CFM .500" 325 CFM 227 CFM .600" 334 CFM 235 CFM .650" 339 CFM 241 CFM

• 11 months later...

i am getting a 408 short block from Texas speed & Performance getting some wiseco pistons with lunati crank,with lunati connecting rods i am adding w some 243 heads milled .030 and tbss intake with 90mm throttle body with 38# injectors and cam 240/248 612,615 112 with a 4l80e fully built with a 3600-3800 stall and with 4:10 gears with a tru trac posi. how should the outcome be would i b satisfied with this built

i think your going to be disappointed and wish you would have went the boosted route.

Your going to want atleast 350 cfm flowing heads for a 408, cam is plenty big I would get something closer to a 230 cam on a 110 lsa and enjoy that torque. My buddy had a 416 with prc 237 heads, 24?-25? Cam, fast 102 setup from them and it dyno'd 560rwhp in his 6 speed c5 vett if that helps.