Dads 5.3 vs. my 6.0 build and questions.

Well here it is shortest story possible. Some may know I'm planning a L92 408 build with intercooled whipple 2.3 side mount. Supposed to start next summer or earlier. Well dads 03 ecsb gmc 5.3 may not make it through the winter. He wants my extra 6.0 block for a close to stock rebuild Replacement. Instead id rather swap my 6.0 into his truck "complete engine" and build my 408 off the spare "seasoned 6.0. What will have to be done to his computer. reflash basically? Stock fuel pump support the stock Lq9. And would his rebildable 5.3 plus him buying my 408 pistons or crank a good trade for my 65k original stock motor.? Thanks guys!

Edited by KrausMotorSports (see edit history)

We're hoping to have them both done with in the same time. So hardly any down time. And it's his only truck. On that note they would both probably get tuned by RPM performance in Deleware. Or Krambo. His maybe 6 hrs north of us.

You can put the 6.0L in his truck using his stock injectors and pump. The 6.0L and 5.3L do use the same injectors and pump, but if you plan on modding the 6.0L much you will run out of injector quickly (assuming it isn't an L53 truck stock). Injectors are cheap if you end up needing them. Just have the stock pcm re-tuned for the 6.0L and you'll be fine, very easily done. If you have any questions I can help you if needed when you go to do the swap. Just call the number in my sig if you I can be of help.

Your build.. I have my own ideas and we could go on a whole other thread on the whipple 408 idea. However.. I have swapped a couple 6.0's in place of the 5.3. The stock tune will fire right up should be the same injectors and everything from the pump to the plug wires are the same. The only differences in the setup will be the long block itself. If you are going to do a serious build like your truck down the road the first thing I would do is spend the money on HP tuners. I can even get you a harness and get you a tune to flash into your dad's truck when the time comes. But it's really pretty straight forward. I like the idea. However. I would suggest too depending on who does your short block I would not worry too much on using a used block or your current one till the time comes. When we do our engines here I have a couple 6.0's on hand so we can machine them build them and send them out without having the customer have downtime.

If your lq9 is healthy and ready to go I would swap that sucker in to his truck over a weekend a couple pizza's and some pop and send your dad down the road doing burnouts and you know he's going to be happy.

Feel free to PM me if you need any help I am happy to offer advice where I can

Thanks for the input guys! Considered getting HP tuners pro considering the plethora of gm vehicles I work on and mod, fan patches, general tuning. As im dedicated to learning. Dad will be using my original injectors and accessories and so forth. His trans needs upgrading for sure. Whipple may need to be sold to complete my 408 build and may pro charge later? but I'm really "close" to a machine shop, practically family. Worked there a few years. We do build our own engines/ short blocks and porting. But will be contacting zippy in a few weeks for a specs on a cam design. Looking forward with working with you guys! Thanks again.