Shimmy at 45mph

WretchedSS

Ok guys so it's really irritating. When I get to 45 mph my trucks front end will shake, I don't really feel it in the steering wheel but the truck shimmy's left and right bad. Now here's the catch it's not all the time. When I hit cracks/bumps @ 45 it'll do it. But at 47mph it completely stops. and at 43 mph it won't do it. I took it to Americas tire to balance tires, result was... Nothing, it still continued to do it. So I took it to a local mechanic, result was they couldn't find anything wrong under the front end. So I ended up taking it back to Americas tire TODAY, and had them re balance and rotate tires... result was... still does it. Im using the DJM 3/4 Kit from NorcalSS. Tires/Rims have both less than 5k on them same with the drop kit. Im stumped... Input?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes new rotars have to be turned as well. They don't always come 100% smooth. You don't have to brake to get vibration or shaking while driving when they are warped. I'm sure someone else who has had this problem will chime in as well. Hit up a brake shop to confirm. Won't hurt to call and get an opinion.

Yeah dude. You can call any brake shop and they will tell you. One time I bought brand new rotars for a beater and after instal I immediately had to pull them off and have them turned. It doesn't cost much to turn them. Any orielys will do it for I believe $25 a piece. Just pull them off yourself and voila, easy fix

You mention new rims and tires. Did the shake start as soon as the rims & tires were put on?

You might try to find a shop with a high speed balancer that will spin the tires while they are on the truck. (Not sure if anyone still does this or not, been out of it a long time.)

This type of balancer would give you a chance to check the front end at different wheel speeds.

Good luck.

Rotors are not the cause. I have had severely warped rotors and they never caused the truck to be out of balance.

First check your tires.... Look for feathering and cupping of the actual tire. Run your hand over the tire from front to back. It should be smooth, if your hand catches any part fo the tire and it doesnt feel 100% smooth that is from uneven tire wear That can cause a problem. Tire should be rotated every 5K... I would have the tires road force balanced. That will ensure a 100% correct balance.

Then check your suspension like tie rods, ball joints.. Or take it to any Sears center and ask for a suspension evaluation and they will look at it for free.

Rotors are not the cause. I have had severely warped rotors and they never caused the truck to be out of balance.

First check your tires.... Look for feathering and cupping of the actual tire. Run your hand over the tire from front to back. It should be smooth, if your hand catches any part fo the tire and it doesnt feel 100% smooth that is from uneven tire wear That can cause a problem. Tire should be rotated every 5K... I would have the tires road force balanced. That will ensure a 100% correct balance.

Then check your suspension like tie rods, ball joints.. Or take it to any Sears center and ask for a suspension evaluation and they will look at it for free.

^^^^^like Blown 346 said could be in your suspension tie rod or worn ball joint

He stated that his shop went thoroughly through the suspension. He said when he goes over bumps his truck shimmys's horribly. I still say shocks.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Yea I got it checked twice by two different mechanics. But that really doesn't mean much. I think i'll take it to Sears for the free check up. I have a feeling it's going to be a tire for the fact visual isn't there..