Shimmy at 45mph

WretchedSS

My truck does this, so did my old s-10, so does my gov vehicle f350. I feel as tho it has something to do with the transmission wanting to shift at 45mph and doesnt. Like you said, it will do it at 45mph sometimes but as soon as I speed up a little it stops, I can then slow down to 45mph and it will not do it again.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My truck started doing this immediately after I put brand new tires on my 26" wheels ...I thought for sure my suspension was gonna e the problem but now I'm gonna have to inspect the tires to begin with. Funny thing it wouldn't do this with the old tires I had in it.

• 2 weeks later...

I found this forum and joined it just for that same issue, Mines done it now for 3 years, Ive had several shops go through the front end and find nothing, Anything that was even a little worn I had them replace, Ive been through 3 sets of rims and tires, new brake rotors yada yada and nothin yet. Im going to maybe pick up some new shocks and try it out, Truck has 117K on it and still the original shocks so who knows.

My .02. Similar issue here. Had an average small town shop go through suspension. Don't have a great shop within a couple hours distance at least. Mine does it on 2 different tire/wheel combos. DJM LCA's w/ djm shocks, now updated to belltechs. Had horrible bump steer at low speeds when I hit a bump. Not out of control, but puckered me up on many occasions.

Recently this shop replaced pitman arm, idler arm and inner tie rods...not outer which pissed me off. Might as well have done that also. Said they were good tho. Moog parts. Alignment shop said it was well within normal specs. Evidently no one decided to drive it after the fact.

Maybe it's something in the steering or in the work that was just done. I have no idea. I've even redone the djm install to make sure I did it right. It's beyond me at this point.

My advice, find the best suspension shop you can and take it in when you have a few days...even if it is hours away. I'm guessing my issue is something a reputable and experienced shop will figure out fairly quickly. Again, my .02.

First Drive down, it did not do it BUT it does not do it everytime. This is a good sign but does not say for sure if it fixed the issue or not, I will keep reporting how its going and if the issue comes back

on a side note, The truck ride is really Firm compared to the OEM's. I like it

mine does this as well. new shocks, different sets of tires. i am starting to wonder if my cv axles are binding also since i am dropped. it usually happens after i am straightening up after a turn or accelerating to get on highway

Mine does it with the stock stance :-/