Shimmy at 45mph

WretchedSS

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has any1 ever done cv axles before? I have a feeling my trucks gonna need them done to solve this problem. I Was wondering how much this is gonna affect my wallet lol

CV axles are anywhere from $80 to $100 a piece. About $200 for the job if you do the install yourself.

Yup. Thats all i did and the issue so far seems 100% resolved. The shimmy was a daily occurrence before and it has not happened once since i put those new bt shocks on

Yup. Thats all i did and the issue so far seems 100% resolved. The shimmy was a daily occurrence before and it has not happened once since i put those new bt shocks on

CV axles are anywhere from $80 to $100 a piece. About $200 for the job if you do the install yourself.

Thanks for the info bro,how hard is this to install? I might take it in n see what kind of estimate I get from a shop.

Thanks for the info bro,how hard is this to install? I might take it in n see what kind of estimate I get from a shop.

There not bad. You have to dis connect the lower ball joint, move the spindle out of the way to free up the end of the CV. Then you have to get a punch and punch out the Retaining pin that holds the cv to the diff. Then just reverse.

Heres a video of how to do it, its not a SSS but its a AWD vehicle and they all work the same.

There not bad. You have to dis connect the lower ball joint, move the spindle out of the way to free up the end of the CV. Then you have to get a punch and punch out the Retaining pin that holds the cv to the diff. Then just reverse.

Heres a video of how to do it, its not a SSS but its a AWD vehicle and they all work the same.

Cool looks like ill be doing this my self instead lol thanks for the great info.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjM6rTVre-0

Blown 346

This info is NOT correct, not even close to the correct shaft or design. They are NOT all the same.

Our shafts are bolted to the axles of the front diff and must either have the bolts broken loose while the brakes are on and a buddy can be in the truck holding the pedal down when you tell him to or something like a long pry bar can be used in between the wheel studs and wedged on the ground so the assembly can not turn in the direction you need to either loosen or then tighten the bolts.

Cool looks like ill be doing this my self instead lol thanks for the great info.

This is why it is so important we do not spread wrong information. This poor guy would have looking for a pin for who knows how long instead of just taking the bolts out. If you do not have first hand experience do not post misleading information

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

Blown 346

This info is NOT correct, not even close to the correct shaft or design. They are NOT all the same.

Our shafts are bolted to the axles of the front diff and must either have the bolts broken loose while the brakes are on and a buddy can be in the truck holding the pedal down when you tell him to or something like a long pry bar can be used in between the wheel studs and wedged on the ground so the assembly can not turn in the direction you need to either loosen or then tighten the bolts.

This is why it is so important we do not spread wrong information. This poor guy would have looking for a pin for who knows how long instead of just taking the bolts out. If you do not have first hand experience do not post misleading information

There is also a 36mm nut that bolts the axle to the spindle/

6 bolts holding it to the front diff as seen here, and there is the huge nut as mentioned above holding it to the wheel hub. For the record do not drive this truck without the cv axle, it holds the wheelhub together. My dad figured this out with my truck the hard way.

2010-12-08_16-53-52_488.jpg

Edited by Fors (see edit history)

4 bolts holding it to the front diff as seen here, and there is the huge nut as mentioned above holding it to the wheel hub. For the record do not drive this truck without the cv axle, it holds the wheelhub together. My dad figured this out with my truck the hard way.

There are six bolt that hold the axle to the diff. NOT 4