NEW TO PROGRAMMING

evandostert

I am new to tuning engines.  Which software should I start with.  I want the ability to use the computer port on the truck and not have to remove the pcm everytime I need a tune.

Really, for our trucks, currently only two exist mainstream, LS1 Edit and HPTuners.

LS1 Edit was the first on the scene years back. You buy the 1st licence for $550, add additional licence for $150. Every individiual PCM requires a licence. $50 handling fee to upgrade a pre-existing cable for more VINs (4 Max VINs per cable). Software updates outside of your original window cost extra. Edit is only a programmer, however they are Beta testing a simple scanner, but no where along the same lines as EFI Live. Our trucks are currently non-in-vehicle tuning. This means a bench cable needs to be bought or built (around $100) to do the tuning. The PCM doesn't need to be removed, just one of the harnesses to allow the bench cable to connect.

HPTuners is new to the scene within the last 6 mo or so. The program incorperates an editor and a scanner for the price. Their licence works for any vehicle of the same year and similar body style. ie- all 03' trucks are grouped together, all 04' suburbans are grouped together, etc. So far, I think software updates are free. Supports in-vehicle tuning.

Also, EFI Live, predominantly know for the best logging only software in the biz, is releasing Flashscan soon. Similar to both Edit and HPT, Flashscan will incoperate all the strengths with very few of any weaknesses. If I were to do it over again, this is where my money is going. Actually, I will buy it when it's available anyway, and ditch Edit.

HPT is currently the cheepest way to get into programming and seems like a nice package. I have used both, and they all have ups and downs. I learned on Edit, so I prefer my choice, however HPT seems like a nice package as well.

Again, I would wait a month or so for Flashscan, period.

BTW, buy a Wideband O2 sensor, as that should complete your tuning hardware.

Jason answered your question pretty well. I second the suggestion to wait for Flashscan to come out in a month or two.

LS1Edit and EFILive evolved from simpler software that worked with a simpler engine management computer in the LT1 platform. Then OBDII arrived and engine computers became more sophistocated. For several years, LS1Edit was the only game in town, and their pricing structure shows it. Now that competitors are in the market with improved features and pricing, Edit is less attractive.

I base my suggestion on my experiences with the two companies with which I have dealt. EFILive has wonderful customer support, regular product upgrades, and a great product. LS1Edit has problems with the PCM data bus on our trucks, limited upgrade period, and mediocre customer support.

:cheers:

i am currently using HPTuners. program works great. very easy to use. allows you to hook up to the truck through the port under the steering column. you can log data, edit your PCM program and of course flash the new tune onto your PCM.

takes about 5 minutes to read the PCM, 30 seconds to re-flash....and countless time going over loggs and making changes to your file. there is a lot of information on ls1tech.com, ls1tuning.com, hptuners.com about tuning and the different programs. plenty of people out there willing to help out...

customer service is great. i have always gottan a return call or email within a few hours. updates are free for a year...you can purchase a longer update period as well.

there is also a "saftey" feature that protects the PCM and which ever program is on there incase the cable or program run into problems during reflash. haven't had any problems yet but it is niec to know it is there in case battery dies or something like that...

I'm also using HPT and have seen LS1-Edit. Besides the ability to tune in the truck, HPT is faster and more reliable on the writes. Other than that, six of one...

You've gotten some pretty good answers so far. On the new tuner thing coming, one owrd of caution -- it will be a new product and there won;'t be as much support for new users (went through that with HPT) and might be more frustrating because of that. Unless your tune is really pressing, it would be worth the wait to see the new system and evaluate it on its merits, just be aware you'll be out there on the bleeding edge...

Flashscan is a tuner/scanner software package that is supposed to be offered very soon by the folks at EFILive. They are currently in beta testing with a variety of vehicles. I don't know for sure, but I think one of their beta testers might own an SS truck... (not me)

All of the PCM editing software being discussed was originally targeted for use on the LS1 platform cars (f-body and vette). The application was extended to trucks with the LS1-based Vortec engines around '99.

Another comment about the products/companies being discussed. It seems that HPT and EFI have had more success dealing with the data bus issues than Edit. Seems strange - you would think that the guy who has been around the longest would have the best understanding of the operating system he has hacked.

Archived