BLACK PAINT, CAN YOU GET IT WITHOUT SWIRLS

hankc350

I Had a Wreck and the Body Shop that painted it said that you cant get the swirls out of it. It looks terrible, people ask me all the time what is wrong with your truck. I took it back too the chevrolet dealership that painted it and they said there was no help for swirls on black, well another bodyshop said the swirls were caused by buffer burn. What is you guys opionions on this, I think the bodyshop that painted it the first time should have to repaint it at no charge, because they messed up.

:chevy:

The dealership is telling you bs because they burned the paint while wheeling it out after the paint job. I had a 94z28 for 8 years and the paint had no swirls at all. I used zaino polish for dark cars which had swirl reducing agents in it. The car was show car clean with 40,000 miles. I would take it back until you are satisfied. If black always looks swirled people wouldn't buy black. My guess is that someone buffed your truck out that wasn't experienced. It is easy to mess up paint.

Brandon

The painter/buffer screwed up! :nonod:

I had some swirls on my tail gate where the detail guys at the dealership tried to fix some scratches.

They re-shot the tail-gate and buffed and it looks great now.

Go back and complain, ask to talk w/Service Mgr if you don’t get anywhere ask for the District Manager........

washing, and waxing wont help this situation, Take it back..... Complain complain conplain is what you have to do, tell them you asked a FEW other body shops and they said it was from buffer burn, if they still want to fight, tell them you are going to speak to a lawyer about it and have it resolved, they know they F'd it up, if they have that much stupidity and balls theyll so go ahead and get a lawyer, otherwise if their lying ****'s like im sure they are then theyll try to fix the problem for you, its worth a try but dont give in because nothing will fix that

I still do auto detailing on the side and the only way to get rid of a bad swirl problem is w/ a buffer and a person who knows what they're doing operating it. You could try to use an orbital buffer and a polishing compound, but if you've never tried something like this before I wouldn't recommend it.

Other than that look into getting your paint re-shot.

I think I can relate. When I was 17, I bought a Grand Prix GTP (hince the name), and it was 1 year old when I got it. The dealership that I bought it from said they would detail it before I picked it up. When I went to go get it, they had buffed the wax on, and did the same thing. There is a cure, but you need to find a GOOD body shop. My local body shop (the manager is a very good friend of the family) had just been to a 3M seminar and had seen a new polish to cure just this problem. When he got done with the car, you would have though that he had repainted it. It worked absolutely great! I will call him sometime today and ask him what the name of the product was that he used. I will post it as soon as I hear from him.

Rob

good thread. a buddy of mine had this happen to his 99 FRC and I had it with my 99 Camaro. when they detailed it for me they put a ton of swirl marks in it and then said it wasn't thier fault :mad: never did get it fixed :banghead:

hasn't happened with the SS yet though :cool:

Wash with Dawn, Clay bar then 3 coats of Zaino Z2 the Gloss enhancer

Tim Should have said to use the Z5 Zainos.

If it is severe, you should have it professionally buffed at a GOOD detail or paint shop using a foam pad, and 3M Liquid Machine Polish (which has no wax or silicone in it and is compatible with Zaino's... Sal told me so himself) and then follow that up with several coats of Z5 with ZFX or polish lok in it.

Swirls are just imperfections (scratches) in the paint or clearcoat usually caused by a dirty buff or to much weight on the buffer. Buffers should be used like sandpaper... start out with the coarse grit and finish up with the finest grit. Applying this to a buffers mentality... wool buff to start with heavy grit polish, finishing up with a damp foam bonnett with fine compound. Then hand glaze if necessary. I've seen pretty messed up paint come out looking like glass so it can be done.

i receently went though the same ordeal after i got my truck painted....

first time it was in they were fixing break in damage. picked up the truck and there were these white spots all over...couldn't get em off for a damn. so i brought it back told them they had to fix it...and while you are at it fix a few other things to. save me some time. they redid it again...and left buff marks all over the truck thanks to their wonderful idiot painter...they told me that "90% of the people would not notice this or bring it back it they did..." and told me it was my problem. after speaking with the service manager the only thing he was concerned about was if i was going to come back to the dealership after this ordeal to get my service and buy new vehciles...i said NO! i have been f-ed around with to much. then he said he wasn't going to do shit. so i went to the owner...he listened to me...but then propmtly called me back the next day and said that they didn't want to touch that truck ever again...but he would be happy to cut me a deal on a new one...i went down there and called him out in the showroom and told him to F himself in so many words in front of about 20 customers and some salesmen too...

i ended up going to a private body shop and had good reults. however i am still going to clay bar and ziano the shit out of it this weekend. as i am getting ready for the winter...cause it will be here probably on monday...

Actually you can get rotary polish swrils out... it just takes some patience and the right equipment.

I fixed my swirls that the idiot detail at the stealership put in the SS with a good swirl remover, and a good random orbit buffer.

Zaino will only hide the swirls temporarily.

Zaino will only hide the swirls temporarily.

Exactly, you need 3M's 39009 swirl remover or something stronger before Z5. Honestly, I love Zaino, but I won't touch Z5, worthless IMHO.

Swirls are tiny scratches in your clear coat. The only was to get rid of them is to take away material, ie. clearcoat. In doing so, you buff away the clearcoat to make the scratch not as deep. You also round off the edges of the scratch which makes it less visable. But the moral to the story is, to make one deeper scratch less visable, you must introduce many more smaller sratches. Then a good hand glaze will hide these.

Most paint damage is the result of good intentions. Just be realistic in your goal of refinishing.

There is no perfect surface, just one with very shallow scratches. ;)

Archived