Stall Converter Question

I am gathering info on what to do, who's to use, how much it will cost ect. I am all stock !!!

I have a cai of sorts I modified the factory air box blocked off the fender openings cut a hole and installed a 4" flange and ran a 4" metal flex hose to the front duct in the bumper,

But in the future [hopefully this spring] headers, cat back and a tune from one of our fine vendors here.

What benefits are there to a stall converter other that getting off the line quicker ?

What are the drivability issue's ?

What stall speed would be best ?

What is the best one ?

Cost ?

Thanks in advance for your insight and help !!!

The only gain other than a quick launch is the shift extension which basicly means less rpm drop on the shifts.

Drivability issue's are less mpg in the city, more constant rpm than a stock converter when not in lockup, and the transmission will be more likely to get hot if you tow heavy with it.

Best stall speed depends on your future goals. Plan on a blower in the future go 2800, plan to just go fast n/a with stock or mild cam, go 3200, plan on going very fast n/a I'd do a 3400-3600.

The best one is a tough call. My opinion and from my personal experience has been the Vigilante from Precision Industries. Other options are PATC, they make a nice converter for the price as well as Circle D (only with a true n/a truck though). Certainly stay away from TCI and B&M. I also would personally not recomend Yank. They make a nice converter, but have had high TCC failures and have horrible customer service if you do in fact have an issue.

Cost for a good one will be 600-900.

The only gain other than a quick launch is the shift extension which basicly means less rpm drop on the shifts.

Drivability issue's are less mpg in the city, more constant rpm than a stock converter when not in lockup, and the transmission will be more likely to get hot if you tow heavy with it.

Best stall speed depends on your future goals. Plan on a blower in the future go 2800, plan to just go fast n/a with stock or mild cam, go 3200, plan on going very fast n/a I'd do a 3400-3600.

The best one is a tough call. My opinion and from my personal experience has been the Vigilante from Precision Industries. Other options are PATC, they make a nice converter for the price as well as Circle D (only with a true n/a truck though). Certainly stay away from TCI and B&M. I also would personally not recomend Yank. They make a nice converter, but have had high TCC failures and have horrible customer service if you do in fact have an issue.

Cost for a good one will be 600-900.

Thank you very much Zippy, Just the info I was looking for !!!

Thats why I love this site, If you need some info or a opinion all you got to do is ask !!!

Future plans are Exhaust headers to tips, maybe 1.8 roller rockers, the stall and A tune from You !!!

So if i were to get a Vigilante 2800, would i want a single or triple disc? And whats the difference? If i switched my trailblazer converter for a Vigilante, would i need a re-tune right away? Or could i drive it lightly to work and back while i send my spare pcm out for a tune? Thanks.

Mods are in sig.

Edited by MID12sSSS (see edit history)

I would recomend the 10.5" triple disc version. The 9.5" built to stall to those specs behind something making as much torque as you do will drive very sloppy and loose. The 10.5" will drive almost like stock except when you stand on it. The triple disc is recomended because you may want to lock yours at wide open and that is the strongest version. Honestly my opinion also is that anything weighing in the ball park of an SSS should have the strongest converter clutch you can get as it is the most common part to fail in any brand of converter. If you look around here and see who has had what fail in the land of converters it is usually a converter clutch. I'm not trying to make you spend more, just giving my opinion.

So, deciding to lock the converter at WOT is all in the tune? Im wanting to get the most out of my set up, and i know you know how to build a tune for that. Ill definitely go with the triple disc, as price isnt much of a difference from the single. And ill be sending you my PCM after the install. Thanks Zippy.

I have been running a triple disk 10.5 3k precision converter for a few years now. I have been through 3 complete transmissions, and two other tear downs. I have sent my converter back to precision every time for a cut and clean. They have Awsome customer service and they definitely helped me get the most out of my converter. Just sharing my dealings with them.

They also told me this converter would take anything I could dish out and so far not a lick of problems. I am still unlocking through the shifts and I don't think I go into lockup untill like 77mph or something at wot.

Edited by Aksss (see edit history)

So, deciding to lock the converter at WOT is all in the tune? Im wanting to get the most out of my set up, and i know you know how to build a tune for that. Ill definitely go with the triple disc, as price isnt much of a difference from the single. And ill be sending you my PCM after the install. Thanks Zippy.

Good choice. Zippy knows his shit. And his customer service is the best I've seen top notch guy.