high(ish) milage.. 3000 stall TC or wait

Dave04SS

Hey all! I'm debating either doing an LS1 hot cam kit OR TCI 3000 stall. I know I'm going to need a higher stall with the cam, so I really WANT to do both but money for this project is tight at the moment. I have 78,000 miles on the truck with vette servo, OBX LTs, no cats 3" duals out the side, K&N intake, and custom diablosport tune by lew.

Should I get the 3000 stall TC now even though the trans has 78k? or just get a cam for now until the trans takes a shit THEN build it with a higher stall?

Any help would be appreciated!

I have the same circle d and it was 445$ not bad and for the cam maybe do like I did and just buy a piece at a time. I waited 4 months just getting a part here and there before I did the install. Depending on cam size you might wanna do rods and springs. Might have to do iinjectors as well. A lot of thinking to do.

its a mild cam 218/228 .525/.525 112lsa, im thinking its mild enough for the stock converter for now .. it is my daily driver. the kit comes with LS6 springs and retainers.

the point of the OP is knowing if its even worth it to throw the converter in a 78000 miles trans

Edited by Dave04SS (see edit history)

I highly recomend not doing a TCI converter even if it were free. If you do decide on doing a converter swap though I would at least change servos and boost valve while you have it out.

I have a vette servo, trans shifts very nice with the tune. whats wrong with TCI? I had the same street fighter 3000 stall in my Trans Am it worked PERFECTLY!

I highly recomend not doing a TCI converter even if it were free. If you do decide on doing a converter swap though I would at least change servos and boost valve while you have it out.

Words from the smartest man alive! Zippy knows his $hit! / I've had TCI converters as well and have also worked great- not in my ss though, But good tuners such as Zippy and Krambo know what works best on the SSS from experience. I'm not questioning your knowledge as I'm not that kind of person. Just my 2 cents from what I've learned here.

Words fromtuner smartest man alive! Zippy knows his $hit! / I've had TCI converters as well and have also worked great- not in my ss though, But good tuners such as Zippy and Krambo know what works best on the SSS from experience. I'm not questioning your knowledge as I'm not that kind of person. Just my 2 cents from what I've learned here.

This is true. If Zippy says he would t recommend it I would def listen. hes my tuner and he knows what's going on with these trucks. Best thing to do is ask him what he would do with that cam.

any reasons in particular not to get a TCI? the price is right and Ive had good luck in the past with them.

anti-ballooning plate and lockup.. seems right to me! http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tci-242931

Btw my names Dave Too! Haha anyhow. Hopefully zippy may chime in again and correct me if im wrong but with these trucks being heavy there may be a reason they use the circle d/ yank/ Precision Industries Vigilante converters. ??